Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dunno, I'm not sure I will be an early adopter this time because of this... I this know sounds like a lame reason...but hear me out...

First of all, I can understand why Palm decided to migrate to a smaller card format in the Treos. The circuit footprint of SD cards is quite large and it only makes sense for Palm to start integrating a smaller format if it truely desires to design smaller and more svlet Treo form factors. What I DO NOT understand is why the heck they choose mini-SD instead of microSD? Very few OEM's are using the mini-SD format and as a result the variety and possible increase on capacity will be limited in comparison to microsd which will be standard on a lot more devices. Furthermore, the largest mini-SD SDHC capacity right now is 4 GB.... That is kinda disappointing for a lot of folks who have been anticipating buying a 8 GB SDHC card for the 700p but have been holding off waiting to see if those cards would be compatible on the 755p. Now that we know that they aren't it really sucks to see that the largest capacity on the mini-SD is still 4GB. I just don't see that there will ever positively be 8 or larger SDHC capcities on mini-SD verses micro-SD based simply on the market penetration of the card format. I hope Palm realizes this becuase it may soon regret this decision...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 05/03/2007 at 11:53 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    that pisses me off. they don't care one bit about the consumer. I just bought an 8 gig sd & now what will I do with it...
    AMEN to da magic!!!!!!

I totally agree and feel the exact same way. I have a 650 and have been patiently waiting for something great to jump to the next level. i really thought the 755 would be it...until I saw the mini-SD. so very disappointed. why...why oh why!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    This is change solely for the sake of change....again, so very typical of Palm. No different than the regression from Graffiti 1 to G2, the LifeDrive's memory architecture, the T3 to the T5 downgrade transition etc etc etc.,

Now, I could somewhat understand this if the 755p had, say, an internal 2gb flash storage drive that could complement the miniSD slot. But I knew Palm was heading in this direction as soon as their most recent GPS kit was announced with a miniSD card of maps in the package...

Of course, IMO, the REAL reasoning behind this was to give Palm a few more months of lagging behind the technology curve. Had Palm stayed with fullsize SD people would be been clamoring for full SDHC compatibility (8gb +) since the iPhone has now set the benchmark for 4gb/8gb of storage in a smartphone. Since FrankenGarnet has issues with volume sizes larger than 4gb, this would have represented (at best) continued R&D expenditures for Palm. At worst it'd have made Palm look really bad next to its competitors and to the general public. So Palm quietly retreats to the relatively safety of 4gb or less miniSD cards. That buys them another 6 months or so of being able to hide behind FrankenGarnet's limitations due to miniSD lagging SDHC in size and speed.

The fact that Palm may hope to sell a few overpriced Palm-branded miniSD cards at their retail stores or web store doesn't hurt the above argument either. cards Anyway, they'll then probably make a big hoopla about the first Palm OS-on-Linux device this fall supporting high capacity SDHC cards.

Come to think of it, the 700p to 755p migration almost perfectly mimics the T3 to T5 sequence of 2004. Palm gives a few nice new features but takes away a handful of important ones for reasons unknown. The 755p offers sleeker styling and lag-free performance (?) out of the box. But it loses out on storage and battery capacity. The T5 added a few features over the T3 (larger battery, drive mode & internal flash storage) but was mostly noticable for a formfactor change, lost features like voice recorder, and its performance & stability issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    that pisses me off. they don't care one bit about the consumer. I just bought an 8 gig sd & now what will I do with it...

I guess use it in the 700p (if that is covered in the MR?)

I am disappointed too! I do not know what I am going to do. I already bought an extra battery and a case from TC (the one they recently featured on the home page! The case is not bad! I may return them if TC will allow that!
    Here's the thing: If current GSM Treos have a SIM card slot and a SD card slot, why can't Palm engineers experiment and tinker with adding an SD slot AND a mini/micro SD slot to Treos?

Imagine the possibility: have one micro-SD card on the side exclusively for maps/GPS and a regular SD card (on the top OR on the other side) for the rest of your data storage needs. Versatlity is the name of the game!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Of course, IMO, the REAL reasoning behind this was to give Palm a few more months of lagging behind the technology curve. Had Palm stayed with fullsize SD people would be been clamoring for full SDHC compatibility (8gb +) since the iPhone has now set the benchmark for 4gb/8gb of storage in a smartphone. Since FrankenGarnet has issues with volume sizes larger than 4gb, this would have represented (at best) continued R&D expenditures for Palm. At worst it'd have made Palm look really bad next to its competitors and to the general public. So Palm quietly retreats to the relatively safety of 4gb or less miniSD cards. That buys them another 6 months or so of being able to hide behind FrankenGarnet's limitations due to miniSD lagging SDHC in size and speed.
    Nah...c'mon Kris...you can't be that cynical huh?

The 680 supports SDHC so you can't really say that Frankengarnet doesn't support capacities larger than 4GB. Although I completely agree with you that Palm should see the rainbow and finally start integrating storage capacity to the Treo line in a way similar to the T5...that is integrated Nand storage. I mean when you can get feature phones these days with 1Gb of storage, when can't you get a Treo with at least that much...nevermind the iPhone. A Treo with 4 Gb nand storage with 128 of 'NVFS' type ram (32 MB of actual ram) would be a nice feature imo. However I truely believe that the move to a smaller card format is smart and necessary by Palm if they want to design thinner and more slim Treo form factors. I just don't believe they should have used mini-SD instead of micro-SD...

Overall there are FOUR major hardware features that Palm severely needs to address in regards to the Treo line imo. Others may disagree but these are my four:
    • WIFI
      more integrate STORAGE
      better Camera with FLASH
      integrated satellite based GPS

You could also agrue HSPDA support for GSM users as well as support for 1xEvDv etc, but those are software and driver issues while what I'm specifically referring to above are hardware specs....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Here's the thing: If current GSM Treos have a SIM card slot and a SD card slot, why can't Palm engineers experiment and tinker with adding an SD slot AND a mini/micro SD slot to Treos?

Imagine the possibility: have one micro-SD card on the side exclusively for maps/GPS and a regular SD card (on the top OR on the other side) for the rest of your data storage needs. Versatlity is the name of the game!
    or they could just integrate 4GB nand storage...

wait do you know for sure it will have mini sd?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    wait do you know for sure it will have mini sd?
    According to this thread, it's MiniSD. He works at a Sprint store and they got their dummy 755p and he says it's just like the 750's slot.

I really don't mind MiniSD. Yeah I have a bunch of SD cards laying around that will be delegated to my camera or car stereo, but oh well. I don't have a need for THAT much storage, and I was able to pick up two 1GB Kingston MicroSD cards with MiniSD and SD adapters for $28 shipped. One for me, one of my wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I dunno, I'm not sure I will be an early adopter this time because of this... I this know sounds like a lame reason...but hear me out...

First of all, I can understand why Palm decided to migrate to a smaller card format in the Treos. The circuit footprint of SD cards is quite large and it only makes sense for Palm to start integrating a smaller format if it truely desires to design smaller and more svlet Treo form factors. What I DO NOT understand is why the heck they choose mini-SD instead of microSD? Very few OEM's are using the mini-SD format and as a result the variety and possible increase on capacity will be limited in comparison to microsd which will be standard on a lot more devices. Furthermore, the largest mini-SD SDHC capacity right now is 4 GB.... That is kinda disappointing for a lot of folks who have been anticipating buying a 8 GB SDHC card for the 700p but have been holding off waiting to see if those cards would be compatible on the 755p. Now that we know that they aren't it really sucks to see that the largest capacity on the mini-SD is still 4GB. I just don't see that there will ever positively be 8 or larger SDHC capcities on mini-SD verses micro-SD based simply on the market penetration of the card format. I hope Palm realizes this becuase it may soon regret this decision...
    I apologize for this has nothing to do with the post, Just saw your avatar and be living in Miami lakes and going to the Orange bowl and beeing a Canes fan, just wanted to give you props for the avatar correct me if i wrong but isnt that the Canes store on the actual campus?
    gfunkmagic has the most talked about avatar on TC

See:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&page=1&pp=20
    I am concerned by the posts regarding the stability of 4GB miniSD cards. If I can find one that is stable, this will be okay for me.

Battery life and memory storage are major concerns for me with this downsizing. . . . as I have said in other threads . . . I would have preferred that they cram more functions and utility into the current 700P size . . . rather than reduce function and utility to get a slimmer foot print. . . . . but that's just me.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I am concerned by the posts regarding the stability of 4GB miniSD cards. If I can find one that is stable, this will be okay for me.

Battery life and memory storage are major concerns for me with this downsizing. . . . as I have said in other threads . . . I would have preferred that they cram more functions and utility into the current 700P size . . . rather than reduce function and utility to get a slimmer foot print. . . . . but that's just me.

Cheers, Perry.
    ditto but then their excuse would be it would cost too much to the end user.

booooooooo
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry what brand or could you give the web site for the 4 gig mini sd card?

Thanks
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post

Thanks
    Pricegrabber only seems to list a transcend branded 4 GB minsd card fyi:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Trans.../search=minisd

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelauz02 View Post
    I apologize for this has nothing to do with the post, Just saw your avatar and be living in Miami lakes and going to the Orange bowl and beeing a Canes fan, just wanted to give you props for the avatar correct me if i wrong but isnt that the Canes store on the actual campus?
    LOL...naw check my sig for more info!

Btw, I loved going to the OB to watch my canes. It just won't be the same U if the move to JRS or Dolphin stadium or whatever they call it now for home games.

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post

Thanks
    Hey Morningstar!

I have not even looked yet, as to what is out there. . . . . I always had excellent service from my SanDisk SD cards. . . but went to the Transcend 150x 4GB SD Card when SanDisk did not come to market soon enough with a 4GB SD. I have had excellent service from the Transcend card, as well.

So, I will be inclined to go with either of those brands when I go looking for a miniSD 4GB.

I may just wait for my 900P. . . . I will see what the 755p has to offer. . . . . . but the inducements will have to be larger than my concerns over the 4GB miniSD reliability and the fact I will have to carry a 2nd battery on business trips. (When in town, I can top off the battery of my 700P at my desk and in my car. . . .)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/04/2007 at 01:40 PM.
    Well, that settles it. The 700p WILL be my last Palm if they're using a miniSD slot. I moved from MS and invested in SD technology with not only my phone, but digital camera and countless other devices. I'm not going there.
    I actually want to get a Nokia N800 tablet because it has TWO full size SDHC slots.

Basically my standing is if you don't want to keep the SD slot somebody else will.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast