Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    I think there is no reason for 700p users to upgrade, unless they completely fixed the lag issue.

That said I am gonna hold out to see what the Linux device is. If it's any good I will get that, otherwise I may consider the iPhone if I can get shell access and there is third party suftware support.
    I have been reading reviews of the Nokia N800 and I played it in person over the weekend. I don't think Palm can do ANYTHING beside stuffing a EVDO or WiMax antenna in their linux device to out class the N800.

It's a very polish device with out of box voip/video chat/RSS/orb streaming/opera support. The respond time of the multitasking is closer to a laptop than a PDA. There are ample memory slots and hi-rec screen is great.

Nokia has totally beat everybody to the punch, including Intel who just announced their 4-5" screen Linux mobile devices.

Palm has said the phone version of their Linux device won't come out until next year.
    palm has some work to do.... this device needs evdo rev a, bluetooth 2 and gps capabilities....
    Outside of BT 2, if you get the others with Garnet your device will not be stable. Pick your battles my friend, Palm has (for some time).

That being said, Sprint and VZW will not sell GPS devices until they can make you pay them to use it. Its a catch 22 for those CDMA carriers in the USA.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fikse View Post
    palm has some work to do.... this device needs evdo rev a, bluetooth 2 and gps capabilities....
    They apparently don't think so. Honestly, I can't figure out why they bothered coming out with this model. I guess they ran out of antennas and SD card readers........There's like, no difference between the 700p and 755p.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I think the world will eventually prefer the mini,
    This is the same as anything else... Scream for evolution as long as it doesn't include change.

Quote of the day and not just how it relates to Treos
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    that pisses me off. they don't care one bit about the consumer. I just bought an 8 gig sd & now what will I do with it...
    Not an ideal solution, but in a pinch...

http://www.ably.com.tw/pdt/viewpdt.a...p=1&cat=OTHERS
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    I usually upgrade to the latest the day it comes out, but I'm not so sure this case.... the mini-sd bugs me since I like using the sandisk sd-usb card....

no antenna and a little lighter is nice.... longer battery life maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    They apparently don't think so. Honestly, I can't figure out why they bothered coming out with this model. I guess they ran out of antennas and SD card readers........There's like, no difference between the 700p and 755p.
    Palm is trying to standardize its parts and components. They're just using the same body and parts of the 750 and changing the OS and the color. This saves them time to develop on newer future products and get more products and innovation in the pipeline. MiniSD isn't so bad. It's been out for a while and prices are dropping. This is a carry-over from the 750. This means that the 755w will be miniSD as well.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    Palm is trying to standardize its parts and components. They're just using the same body and parts of the 750 and changing the OS and the color. This saves them time to develop on newer future products and get more products and innovation in the pipeline. MiniSD isn't so bad. It's been out for a while and prices are dropping. This is a carry-over from the 750. This means that the 755w will be miniSD as well.
    I suppose so....

Also, from the reviews it seems the inclusion of miniSD may have also allowed for larger capacity battery on the 755p which would be another acceptable tradeoff....

I personally just wish there were 8 GB miniSD cards out right now that all...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    That's a crap line palm puts out. They had been doing that, but in their extreme desire and need to tailor products to carriers @ the 700 they branched off. They may be putting their foot down with carriers.

However it looks like we have cingular to blame (ultimately palm for agreeing to it) for us CDMA users not getting the 680's phone app. It looks like it was part of the deal with ATT. Now Palm tries to spin it off as power users don't want new features.

**The only reason there was a break at the 700 was because Palm couldn't sell the product to GSM - because of Garnet's limitations on 3G - thus they had to wait long enough to introduce a 650 replacement.

270/180/300
    600 - cdma, GSM
    650 - cdma, GSM
    _______
    700p/w/wx - CDMA
    ____

now 680p, 755p, 750w.

Their problem in getting out new products is their lack of ability and creativity to differentiates their products. They needed to offer true low end - no touchscreen with form factor similar to blackberry pearl.
    hey - i understand Palm is trying to built consistancy among devices - that's fine. However, with a phone that is just a minor update to an already existing phone, this change was ill timed. (IMO)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    hey - i understand Palm is trying to built consistancy among devices - that's fine. However, with a phone that is just a minor update to an already existing phone, this change was ill timed. (IMO)
    The 680 has the IR port on top...if they were going to build consistency, why didnt they fashion the 680 after the 750 and have it use the same IR port and miniSD slot? So even if they have the same form factor, they are still bass-ackwards with the 680!
  12.    #52  
    Rob Katcher of Palm actually posted a response on the Palm Blog in reference to the mini-SD issue fyi........

http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/05/gu...mment-69132638

All, thanks for the passionate responses. To answer a couple questions

1. Why switch to mini-SD? Yes, current Palm OS users are accustomed to SD cards, and we understand there is some transitional pain. We think most customers will prefer the sleeker 750 form factor. Plus, like one commenter posted, mini-SD cards are pretty cheap and other offer additional advantages: http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/05/gu...mment-69067284

2. Will this product be available on Verizon and other CDMA networks: http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/05/gu...ment-68943612?

We announced Sprint as the first carrier for the Treo 755p. There is no exclusivity with Sprint, and we expect it to be available on additional CDMA carriers.
    I have to admitt its pretty ballzy of Palm to allow all the b!tching and moaning on their own corporate blog. I doubt many other companies would allow such vitriol from their own customers toward their prodructs. I sometimes wonder why Palm illicits such emotional responses from its customers in regards to their products... hopefully they will meet expectations sooner rather than later when perhaps people stop caring...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    interesting he ignores everything else people posted except for that
    hey- sounds like verizon shouldn't be that far away
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    hey does anyone know how to add ringtones on the treo 755p for sprint? do we need a mini sd card to do that?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123