Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm wondering . . . . obviously there is a core of us that wanted to keep the SD. . . but how many wanted (would want) them to go smaller with the miniSD?

What would the real world percentages be?

25/75 SD?
    40/60?
    50/50?
    60/40?
    75/25 Mini?

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/04/2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I'm wondering . . . . obviously there is a core of us that wanted to keep the SD. . . but how many wanted (would want) them to go smaller with the miniSD?

25/75 SD?
    40/60?
    50/50?
    60/40?
    75/25 Mini?

Cheers, Perry.
    I think the world will eventually prefer the mini, everything smaller is desireable (well not everything )

This is the same as anything else... Scream for evolution as long as it doesn't include change.

People complain the OS is outdated but as soon as there is rumor of a revamp the same people demand that their software investment be compatible or else...
    The 755p definitely has a mini SD.
    A few steps forward with a few steps back... uggh.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Overall there are FOUR major hardware features that Palm severely needs to address in regards to the Treo line imo. Others may disagree but these are my four:
    • WIFI
      more integrate STORAGE
      better Camera with FLASH
      integrated satellite based GPS

You could also agrue HSPDA support for GSM users as well as support for 1xEvDv etc, but those are software and driver issues while what I'm specifically referring to above are hardware specs....
    I'm thinking wifi is a software issue too, PalmOS can't handle a cellular radio and a wifi radio at the same time. I think that's part (if not most) of the reason why we don't have any kind of SDIO wifi on PalmOS Treos. If it could multitask, I'm sure we'd see wifi on PalmOS Treos...

And who knows, maybe the same issue of multitasking might come up with integrated GPS.
    I find this disappointing as well.

Though I'm hear on the site w/ all of you, I'm not as much as a superusers\ as many of you R. I'm somewhere in the middle of super and regular customer. So, when palm makes a change like this my thought go something like this

" Crap. more money I need to spend to get this phone working the way I want it to. Buy the phone, an IM program, then dowload 5 other programs, then a decent belt clip, then GPS, then NEW memory cards, etc. etc."

Maybe it's me - maybe I shouldn't be buying the newest phone palm has everytime they release it (hey, trying to take the 'man in the mirror' approach) But, I wonder if he company really thinks these prodcuts through - not just hardware, but software and marketing to the variying client bases (busines Consumers, SuperUsers, Average consumer, Youthfull comnsumer, etc)

my 2cents.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

25/75 SD?
    40/60?
    50/50?
    60/40?
    75/25 Mini?

Cheers, Perry.
    I'm indifferent. If I would have to change to a miniSD card, I'd just put my 2 GB SD in my Wii to replace the free 128 I got with my 650 that's in there now. :- )
    Generally by the time I update my handheld, either the form factor of the memory has changed or much bigger cards have become cheap enough that I consider the old one pretty disposable.

I'm currently using a Tx with a 1GB SD card, and will almost certainly jump to a 755p with a 2 or 4 GB miniSD without looking back.

I'm forgetful, and it's important to me that my PDA be on my body every waking minute - so form factor matters a lot to me. If it's too big it gets put down, and I miss a meeting, or can't look up something I need, lose the device, etc. Every time I've been tempted by a Treo in the past, they just seemed too big to guarantee I *always* had it on me. If miniSD helps shrink the 755p a bit so that I can have a reasonably sized PDA and not have to carry a *$&%& cell phone, I'm there.
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Well, that settles it. The 700p WILL be my last Palm if they're using a miniSD slot. I moved from MS and invested in SD technology with not only my phone, but digital camera and countless other devices. I'm not going there.
    I dont like this move either, but dont they make mini & microSD adapters to fit in regular SD card slots? It wouldnt be a big deal, then, if they did! Yes, thats one more thing you have to carry around, but it shouldnt take up as much space as the spare battery youll need for the 755p!
    Nope, 755 has an SD card slot. I have a powerpoint presentation in front of me, sent to Sprint stores today. Its coming on 5/14. Posting more details on another thread.

EDIT OOPS, as I was reading this closer, it IS a mini SD. I was looking at a comparison to the 700p and jumped to conclusions. Instead of deleting the post, I decided to edit instead, and admit I am blind.

BTW, its 4gig mini sd compatible
    Last edited by rkevwill; 05/08/2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: read info wrong
    Bleah. Best thing about having an SD card in my cell phone is that I can use a SanDisk Ultra II+ and have a USB-capable thumbdrive with me at all times. Can't do that with mini-SD. That's a really really REALLY big drawback for me.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I'm thinking wifi is a software issue too, PalmOS can't handle a cellular radio and a wifi radio at the same time. I think that's part (if not most) of the reason why we don't have any kind of SDIO wifi on PalmOS Treos. If it could multitask, I'm sure we'd see wifi on PalmOS Treos...

And who knows, maybe the same issue of multitasking might come up with integrated GPS.
    Well I was thinking the wifi radio is a hardware spec...but your point is well taken. However, I wouldn't mind a solution where the radios could only work one at a time and not simutaneously. Of course, that is probably NOT what Palm wants to do and hence it may explain why they haven't integrated wifi into the PalmOS Treos. But it does NOT explain why they have not integrated wifi into the WM treos since that platform can obviously support dual radios. In short, while I think there might be some merit to your point, overall I think Palm is just being stupid and dragging its feet on wifi for some idiotic reason...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I dont like this move either, but dont they make mini & microSD adapters to fit in regular SD card slots? It wouldnt be a big deal, then, if they did! Yes, thats one more thing you have to carry around, but it shouldnt take up as much space as the spare battery youll need for the 755p!
    This is true - it would be easy to take the miniSD out of the Treo and put it in another SD-supported device via the adapter, but you can't take a regular SD card from, for example, a digital camera or music player, and put it in the Treo, nor can you use the Sandisk USB+.

It's not like SD cards are THAT big!
    it's not that mini sd is a bad solution. it's just that many of us have invested money aready into sd products AND the top capacity for mini-sd is less than sd. I just bought a 8gig sd & now wth am I going to do with it. The annoying thing is Palm absolutely never designs anything with the consumer in mind. they design for maximum profit 100%. it is a pain when companies keep changing formats of external storage cards, chargers etc. We waiste money but they make it all!
    SanDisk "plus USB" SD cards rule.

I too wish they stuck with SD for the 755. I've grown to rely my 2GB SanDisk "plus USB" SD card. I use it all the time to move files from home to office from computer, to Treo, to camera, etc. I absolutely LOVE having a USB drive on me all the time - hidden away in my Treo 650 SD slot - with nothing extra to carry in my pockets.

If the TreoCentral overview of the 755 is true, ("...Besides the integrated antenna and the new colors, the only hardware difference between the 755p and the 700p is that the 755p now uses miniSD instead of the larger SD memory card for storage expansion. Otherwise specs remain the same..."), then if I upgrade to a palm Treo, it will probably be the 700p. I'll put up with the external antenna for a SD "plus USB" card any day.

Just my 2 cents.

- Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    This is true - it would be easy to take the miniSD out of the Treo and put it in another SD-supported device via the adapter, but you can't take a regular SD card from, for example, a digital camera or music player, and put it in the Treo, nor can you use the Sandisk USB+.

It's not like SD cards are THAT big!
    I would start investing into MicroSD, since they make adapters for MiniSD and regular SD. Hopefully, the trend will favor this format (even though the market is just catching up to SD). But you can always adapt bigger! I am fully invested into the SD technology, so this change will be dramatic for me!
    I am concerned by the posts regarding the stability of 4GB miniSD cards. If I can find one that is stable, this will be okay for me.

Battery life and memory storage are major concerns for me with this downsizing. . . . as I have said in other threads . . . I would have preferred that they cram more functions and utility into the current 700P size . . . rather than reduce function and utility to get a slimmer foot print. . . . . but that's just me.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, see my review of the 755p at Brighthand.
    As for battery life, its as good as my 650 was (1600mAh battery helps). Speed and stability are right there. I haven't loaded it with the "crash prone apps" yet, but that will come in a few days, or ask I get bugged about what people want to know what works.

I am with you on the more functions end, but I'd rather have a stable device, than a feature laden one that puts the final nail in the Garnet on a Treo coffin.

EDIT: There will be SDHC versions of mini and micro SD cards. Just not ready for market yet; was told that end of year they will make an appearance as hardware will be out that supports them.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    it's not that mini sd is a bad solution. it's just that many of us have invested money aready into sd products AND the top capacity for mini-sd is less than sd. I just bought a 8gig sd & now wth am I going to do with it. The annoying thing is Palm absolutely never designs anything with the consumer in mind. they design for maximum profit 100%. it is a pain when companies keep changing formats of external storage cards, chargers etc. We waiste money but they make it all!
    How much profit will they make if you and I and others DON'T BUY a 755P because they chose the mini-SD route. I have a fortune invested in SD cards including an 8GB SDHC. There is simply no compelling reason to upgrade. And the abandonment of the SD format gives me a reason NOT TO UPGRADE. I guess they're going after new users. It looks like a real disappointment to me. I was thinking of switching to a 755p just to change. But because of the SD card change, I'm not now.
    I think there is no reason for 700p users to upgrade, unless they completely fixed the lag issue.

That said I am gonna hold out to see what the Linux device is. If it's any good I will get that, otherwise I may consider the iPhone if I can get shell access and there is third party suftware support.
    palm has some work to do.... this device needs evdo rev a, bluetooth 2 and gps capabilities....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast