Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So how much data do you use in a month? I ask for two reasons: 1) I think it would be interesting to know not only the outliers (those of you that use a TON of data) but to know what an average person would use and 2) yup, I am one who has a Treo with no data plan (having been a Palm user since the first one circa 1997 I only went to the Treo 700p to combine phone and palm) but am wondering if Verizon's cheaper monthly plan would be sufficient for my usage.

As a follow up, anyone on (and do you have trouble going over) Verizon's cheaper plan option that only has xyz amount of data per month? Unlimited (er, up to 5 gig) was over $40 if I remember correctly, but they had some lesser plan for $20-something.
    I have used 4.7 gigs in 2 months. And I watch slingplayer and surf the net quite a bit.. But I dont think that counts my tethered data.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    How do you check your data usage?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just look at the phone log
    I have used an average of 120 mB over the last several months. I use a Bell Mobility 700P here in Canada. I have a 250 mB per month plan — which costs an arm-and-a-leg but I squawked loudly and frequently, and now have a plan that Bell Mobility cobbled together that in effect costs me much less. (I’m not near that info, and I can’t remember what the actual price is ... Much more reasonable, however.)
    My data usage consists of leaving VersaMail to auto-connect every half hour to check three accounts, occasional spurts of web-browsing (weather, and during city visits, particularly), and updating software online. A busy day is 12+ mB; a more normal day is 3-4 mB.
    I use Bell Mobility’s T-care every few days, using free texting to get an semi-automated usage response. I store this information in a HanDBase database I made for that purpose.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I log in between 200-500MB a month, depending on my traveling.

On Verizon's website you can check your data usage. The numbers I report are taken directly from there.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I use 250-450 Mb/month...a lot of Internet Radio streaming in PTunes and a fair amount of SprintTV and Kinoma.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    How can you tell how much data you use? I'm not sure what "look at the phone log" means.
    Quote Originally Posted by raul View Post
    How can you tell how much data you use? I'm not sure what "look at the phone log" means.
    ##786# and its like the 3rd item down "data in kb" and it lists a number. To do monthly counts hit the menu key and clear the data at the begin of your bill cycle.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    this month i used 592195 total kilobytes (about 1/2-1 hour of sling everyday for about 2 wks) i was on vacation 1 wk (no slinging by the beach) and been catching up @ work for 1 wk
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    With no streaming at all but extensive web & e-mail use, moderate FTP use, and rare tethering on my Sprint 650, I average about 165 MB per month according to ##786#.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    about 700k used last month...other than that never have, and see no need at this point in my career/ life
    What I'd like to know is the data demands for certain operations... such as streaming radio.
    6,490,000 kilobytes used since picking up my 650 nearly 2 years ago.

14400 minutes of call time used.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

14400 minutes of call time used.
    2,307,080 kilobytes used since august 2007
    45728 minutes of call time used since august 2007
    Just a heads up the call time is not accurate at all. Its actually labeled "life timer" my guess is thats how long the phone has been activated for or possibly when the unit is on.

It says my phone has used 11488 mins, well I average about 500 mins a month. So going by that one would assume I have had the same phone for 22 months in reality I have had this warranty replacement phone for a little over a month. It makes more sense that my phone has been on for 11,488 mins since I stream music and slingplayer and surf the internet, text message ect.
    Putting the pxa 270 chip to work!
    who can break the 10,000,000 kb mark before upgrading their device?
    Last edited by treobk214; 05/05/2007 at 06:19 PM.
    learned something new -how to check my data -thank you

(PS too lazy to check it monthly thought -sorry)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canladdie View Post
    I have used an average of 120 mB over the last several months. I use a Bell Mobility 700P here in Canada. I have a 250 mB per month plan — which costs an arm-and-a-leg but I squawked loudly and frequently, and now have a plan that Bell Mobility cobbled together that in effect costs me much less. (I’m not near that info, and I can’t remember what the actual price is ... Much more reasonable, however.)
    My data usage consists of leaving VersaMail to auto-connect every half hour to check three accounts, occasional spurts of web-browsing (weather, and during city visits, particularly), and updating software online. A busy day is 12+ mB; a more normal day is 3-4 mB.
    I use Bell Mobility’s T-care every few days, using free texting to get an semi-automated usage response. I store this information in a HanDBase database I made for that purpose.
    Can you tell me what your data plan is? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    At the data rates I currently face today (much cheaper than just a couple months ago) that much data would cost me $187,400 over those same two years. <sigh>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast