Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    I bought a Handspring Visor Prism for my wife recently. She uses the Russian edition of Windows 98se on her computer. The problem is that the Palm Desktop software (v4.0) crashes during a hotsync. [correction: it was 3.1 or whatever version that shipped on the CD ROM at the end of March 2001]It crashes every time in the same place. I spent two hours on the phone with Handspring tech support to no avail. It apparently wasn't tested on the Russian version of Windows. I returned it to the retailer for a refund.

    She really wants one for work and there is a lot of software she can use (she's an MD). I'd like to give the Visor another chance, so the question I have is this: is there any alternative desktop software available other than the one from Palm that ships with the Visor Prism??????
    Last edited by JFrankParnel; 04/20/2001 at 02:43 AM.
  2. #2  
    Try the PocketMirror software included on the Handspring CD to sync with Outlook instead of the Palm Desktop.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    Try the PocketMirror software included on the Handspring CD to sync with Outlook instead of the Palm Desktop.
    Thanks for the info Mark. One thing puzzles me: if this other hotsync software was on the CD, then why the heck didn't the Handspring tech support person ask me to try it?!?!?
  4. #4  
    That's a good question (that I don't have an answer for ).

    They list it in their FAQ so I would hope their tech people know about it. Of course, it could be that since it's a third party application, they don't want to support it, even though they have a fairly extensive listing of FAQ's pertaining to it.
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    I suppose they would rather lose the sale of one of their machines than have a happy customer using third-party desktop support software. I've been in the software business long enough to know there are suits who think that way--which makes Dilbert so popular.

    Just for grins, do you know if the PocketMirror software runs separtely from the Palm Desktop or is it some kind of a plug-in for it?
    Last edited by JFrankParnel; 04/19/2001 at 10:36 PM.
  6. #6  
    Well why would the tech support agent tell him about PocketMirror if he wants to sync with Palm Desktop? Is the agent suppose to read his mind and figure out he has MS Outlook installed. While alot of people may have Outlook, not everyone have or use it on their computer.

    As a side note:
    I am surprise that the agent try to help you resolve the problem in teh first place. LAst time I checked, Handspring was using Palm Desktop 3.1 NOT Palm Desktop 4.0. Customers like myself use Palm Desktop 4 at our own peril since generally companies don't support third party software (which Palm Desktop 4 essentially is).
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by yardie
    Well why would the tech support agent tell him about PocketMirror if he wants to sync with Palm Desktop? Is the agent suppose to read his mind and figure out he has MS Outlook installed. While alot of people may have Outlook, not everyone have or use it on their computer.
    First, because this glitch meant the difference between my keeping or returning the Handspring Visor for my money back. Second, the subject of syncing with Outlook never came up. And third, I asked them if they knew of any alternatives and they told me, flat out, "no."

    So, what am I heck supposed to do? Automatically have all knowledge of what ships on the CD ROM?? Give me an ever-lovin' break!

    Originally posted by yardie
    As a side note:
    I am surprise that the agent try to help you resolve the problem in teh first place. LAst time I checked, Handspring was using Palm Desktop 3.1 NOT Palm Desktop 4.0. Customers like myself use Palm Desktop 4 at our own peril since generally companies don't support third party software (which Palm Desktop 4 essentially is).
    I will have to make a correction here: I was using the latest version of whatever shipped on the CD ROM as of the end of March 2001. So to correct myself, it was probably 3.1. Sorry for the bad information.

Posting Permissions