Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ah, New Orleans. Great jazz fest, great food...and I lost my 700p. My credit card's insurance will pay for it, but what do I do now? I've been lurking forever, and would love your expert advice.

I've been pretty happy with the 700p. Gave up on Bluetooth, and would love something that works, but other than that, I haven't had too many problems. I mostly used contacts, VersaMail, SMS, and an occasional browse on the web. I had NVBackup, SplashID, PhatNotes (hardly used), USBModem, and that's about it.

Here are the options I'm considering:

• Wait a couple weeks and get a 755p. (New Orleans made me mellow enough that I can consider being without a phone that long, assuming the May 14 release date actually happens. Anyone heard any updates?)
    • Get another 700p and hope that the MR fixes Bluetooth (or take it back and get a 755? Is Sprint still doing 30-day returns?)
    • Get a Blackberry 8703e. I think I can put this on my SERO plan, but it isn't clear. Anybody know? My only concern is that I'm left-handed, and the 8703 looks pretty right-handed to me.
    • Get something cheap now, and a Blackberry 8830 in July. (I'm not that mellow that I can do without a phone for 2-1/2 months! Besides, Sprint keeps charging for service even when the phone's been deactivated.)

Suggestions appreciated!
    I don't know what your insurance will pay but the 755p unsubsidized will be $649 according to Sprint CS tonight.

Add to that the difficult choice of: (a) 700p with a maintenance release vs. (b) first generation 755p and all that "first generation" implies for Treo models.

Why not the 700wx? That's what I have and it's pretty nice. It's a workhorse. Unfortunately I think I will beat it to death (and get my money's worth from it) far before 1/2009 when my contract expires.

Meh. Get a second hand 700p for cheap. Let that tide you over until something compelling comes along.
    replace it with an iPhone

/thread

PS - that 8525 doesn't look too bad either, but it is windows mobile
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I agree with Tastypeppers, based on my experience with the 700p, the 755 is not worth the risk.

Unless your CC company insists you buy a new device, get a used 700p and put the ROM update on it when the patch comes out. Should be a lot of them going to ebay soon, chances are prices are dropping.

Better yet, get a used 650 (actual working BT implementation) and hold out for a better option (BB 8830 or iPhone).

/flame suit on
    Personally my next phone will be a normal flip phone and I am getting a data card and keeping my laptop with me more. My main reason for the treo was to have mobil internet and mail and its not meeting my expectations.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm going to go and chat with the folks at the local Sprint store this afternoon and see what they can offer me. They've been pretty knowledgeable in the past, so we'll see what they say.
    Good luck but before going the BB route make sure you are aware of the data price you have to pay.. A lot of them dont tell you about this until you activate the phone via *2 and you are told its $40 a month....
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Of course you need a phone right away, perhaps you could buy a cheapo-flip-phone from ebay until either the 755p gets released and/or the 700p gets patched. Then wait and hear comments from users on how those work. I for one will be voicing my opinions about the ROM patch whether it solves the problems or not the 700p has today.

And also after a month there will be many options for you : most likely the PPC 6800 (TyTN) and the 8800 series that has both CDMA and GSM capabilities.

The Treo has a real threat these days. Palm better step-up and deliver.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I'd just wait and tryout the 755 if you have Sprint's insurance and are good at complaining they will get you a brand new 755 after it has been released. That should work for you, if not, then just go with a 700p. You never know you might get one like mine that has a working bluetooth and no resets.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    vMac: does your 700p have other magical abilities?

just kidding! :-)
    I haven't heard/read a good argument against the BB8830. shouldn't that be the phone to have if you want to dump the palm line (VZ will have the 8830 on 14 May)
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Only thing that seems uncertain is if the BB8830 has EVDO Rev A. IIRC I read somewhere it didn't...

It looks nice, but wont be out on Sprint until mid July.
    8830 has no camera right? That is my only major yellow flag.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I will gladly do without the camera.
    I am with eodell, I think I've used the camera once over the past year.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    8830 has no camera right? That is my only major yellow flag.
    I find cell phone cameras in general near to useless in terms of quality and features.

However, I am curious (and this is a legitimate question) as to what you folks use the cell phone cameras for?
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    strippers
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I find cell phone cameras in general near to useless in terms of quality and features.

However, I am curious (and this is a legitimate question) as to what you folks use the cell phone cameras for?
    Send quick random pictures to other people. If I see something funny i snap a picture and send it. The treo camera is probably the worst I have had in a cell phone but its still ok.
    Just kidding.

Actually I use it all the time to show my wife, kids and friends something I am seeing. Last week I visited St. Louis and took a couple of pictures of the arch and sent them via picturemail. I sent a buddy a picture of the ballpark from my hotel. I took a picture of the city museum to send to someone else.

Very handy.
    Interesting, never thought of picture mail but you have a point, will try it one of this days.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast