Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    The 8830 is just like the 8800 from what I understand with one exception, it is a dual CDMA GSM phone i.e. the phone will work on the sprint and verzion's network and when you travel outside the US you can buy a local sim card and use your phone as usual. That is what got me thinking about the blackberry, then i tried the 8800 and the rest is history.
    gt5l,

I just picked up the 8830 on your recommendation and I gotta say that I am impressed. The only thing that is wrong with your evaluation is that VZW has locked the gsm side and you can only use their card with it. There is speculation that they will unlock it, but I doubt it. Why should they? They won't unlock gps............
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    i thought i would chime in here regarding BBs. I just abandoned my Treo 680 for a 750 and then abandoned the 750 for the Blackberry Curve (8300) www.blackberrycurve.com. For what it's worth, it's the BEST phone I have ever used, PERIOD. I mean, I really never had too many problems with my Treos, but the few problems I have had made me keep looking for another device, constantly. I have had this BB for now 2+ weeks and have not once missed my Treo or have looked for another device to fill my needs. As gt5l mentioned, there is not one device for everyone, but for me, STABILITY is paramount and the Treos just lack this stability. I need BT to work properly with my Acura's Hands Free Link BT car kit and the Treo would on and off work, but not properly or reliably. The BB JUST WORKS. Plain and simple. This is the reason why large more corporations use BBs instead of Treos or other devices....BECAUSE THEY WORK. The ROI (return on investment) is better because they dont have to devote large resources to figuring out why they are crashing, etc. This is why I have converted and RIM has only added features to the BB and I am eagerly awaiting the next awesome device from their camp.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    gt5l,

I just picked up the 8830 on your recommendation and I gotta say that I am impressed. The only thing that is wrong with your evaluation is that VZW has locked the gsm side and you can only use their card with it. There is speculation that they will unlock it, but I doubt it. Why should they? They won't unlock gps............
    I did the same thing about a week or so ago. I opened another line for a new employee and thought I'd give the 8830 a go for a week. If I liked it, I'd switch -- was my thought.

I gave the Berry a really good go and I can honestly say, the Treo is a better unit. Don't get me wrong, the Berry is a nice phone, but just lacks in several critical areas for me:

1. The email client on the Berry doesn't even compare to Chatter email. Chatter does push email just as good, or better, than the berry and the GUI is so much better. This is really a big one for me.

2. The BB 8830 is very thin and looks nice, but it way too wide. It is very awkward when tying to use with one hand.

3. The trackball is slick, but difficult to use accurately with one hand or on my windsheld mount in my pickup. It is alot easier to use the Treo 5 way button than the BB trackball. While driving, that trackball is nuts... it is all over the place.

4. The BB software looks and feels like glorified cell phone software where as the Treo feels like a mini computer. Run the 8830 next to a current Verizon Razor -- the BB obviously has more bells and whistles, but it looks and feels like similar software.

5. From what I can see, unless you are using Outlook there really isn't a good PDA-Desktop sharing of data. With my Treo, I have several options for email clients, desktop calendar apps, etc, etc. With the BB, it seems very limited to with respect to desktop apps.

While I'm not 100% happy with my 700p, I would take it hands down over the 8830. This isn't to say the 8830 is a bad device... I was amazed at the battery life. It is WAY better than my Treo. I ran it hard for a week and no reboots. My Treo didn't reboot during this time either, but that is uncommon. I usually see at least one reboot a week.

Anywho, that's my two cents.

Greg
    i actually like the wider keyboard, makes typing a lot easier for me. i can type faster on my Curve than i ever could on my TREO.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Does the BB have any drug formulary information? I know epocrates does not work on it. I am fed up with the 700p. I wish the BB had a camera, though.
    . The email client on the Berry doesn't even compare to Chatter email. Chatter does push email just as good, or better, than the berry and the GUI is so much better. This is really a big one for me.

The only thing I can say about this quote is that you must not be using a BES? Or you did not know how to set your options. To compare a BB to a wanna be program like Chatter is just mind boggling. No device with any software touches a BB running push on a BES.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post

The only thing I can say about this quote is that you must not be using a BES? Or you did not know how to set your options.
    Actually, I have a Treo 700p and a VZW BB 8830. I configured my email addy to run through RIM's BES. Yes, I did play with the options. Being a network admin for my company, I am very much a power user.

Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    To compare a BB to a wanna be program like Chatter is just mind boggling. No device with any software touches a BB running push on a BES.
    Then you must have never used Chatter. What is "push email," really? IMO, it is essentially a mirroring of a mailbox. Sending mail servers are going to send to only one receiving SMTP agent per email addy. For the sending message to show up at multiple locations, one must either sync the destination mailbox or tell the MTA to copy it to another location. Given that RIM's BES has no control over the receiving SMTP agent nor the MTA, it must be syncing the mailbox; which is EXACTLY what Chatter does.

I can sit Chatter right next to BB's email client and ask anyone in my office which of the two interfaces looks more inviting and I am certain everyone would pick Chatter. BBs email client looks like an old console based email client. Chatter is SOOO much nicer to use.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    Actually, I have a Treo 700p and a VZW BB 8830. I configured my email addy to run through RIM's BES. Yes, I did play with the options. Being a network admin for my company, I am very much a power user.

Then you must have never used Chatter. What is "push email," really? IMO, it is essentially a mirroring of a mailbox. Sending mail servers are going to send to only one receiving SMTP agent per email addy. For the sending message to show up at multiple locations, one must either sync the destination mailbox or tell the MTA to copy it to another location. Given that RIM's BES has no control over the receiving SMTP agent nor the MTA, it must be syncing the mailbox; which is EXACTLY what Chatter does.

I can sit Chatter right next to BB's email client and ask anyone in my office which of the two interfaces looks more inviting and I am certain everyone would pick Chatter. BBs email client looks like an old console based email client. Chatter is SOOO much nicer to use.

Greg
    Let's see:

Global Address Book:
    BB-YES
    VM-YES
    CH-NO

Synchronization of desktop folders:
    BB-YES
    VM-NO
    CH-NO

Synchronization of Calendar:
    BB-YES
    VM-YES
    CH-NO

Looks to me that even Versamail beats the lame Chatter.
    Matty
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345