Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    I truely believe that BB is better, What changed my mind is the extreme stability and reliability of this phone. I think they are comprable on the features side but stability is a big issue for me. I must be able to make phone calls on the fly, not wait on the phone to decide when to maka a call. This is an issue i experienced with the 600, 650 and not the 700. So I doubt that this MR is going to resolve this issue. I also must be able to multitask and switch apps on the fly, afterall these are small devices with very powerfull processors and they should be able to do that, however, my 700p will either reset or hangs for a while before switching to another app. The real turning point is GPS and BT stability.
    How is your 8800 with syncing to desktop software? I've gone to great pains to get a good Desktop-PDA solution for my treo. I HATE Outlook with a passion, so let's not even go there. On my desktop, I use the following:

Email Client: Thunderbird;
    Addressbook: Thurnderbird address book, syncing to Plaxo;
    Calendar: Google Calendar;
    Tasklist: Palm tasklist app. I really don't like this, but it works, so I use it.

For syncing with my treo, I use the following:

Email: Chatter (this is about the best email app I've ever seen);
    Addressbook: Thurderbird -> Palmsync -> Treo (again, I always have a master copy of my address book online at plaxo for free);
    Calendar: Google Calendar -> Goosync -> Treo;
    Tasklist -> Hotsync -> Palm Tasklist app.

For me, the deal killers would not being able to sync my contacts and my calender.

Greg
    I think and I am going out on a limb but it is based on my experience, the main problem with the Treo is its network search function. The treo goes crazy when it losses its network signal, it goes crazy trying to find it, so imagine if that happens few times in a row. Case and point, I do some of my work in a basement over 95% of the basement has no wireless signal the other 5% does, moving around the basement with pTunes playing as the signal fades in and out pTunes jumps like there is no tomorrow. So few months ago I started turning the radio off before heading to the basement. The other problem the Treo has is 3rd party software and the lack of standardized program coding, and the fact that there is more than one way to accomplish the same thing, on the programming side. So the chance of resets increases proportionally as the number of installed programs goes up.

So to have a rock solid treo, first turn off the phone if the wireless signal meter in your head indicates that you are heading into a low signal area. And second run the treo without any 3rd party app. I gurantee you a rock solid treo following this advice. If that does not work get the wireless meter in your head checked because you are not picking low signals like you should.

Just my 2 cents
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    How is your 8800 with syncing to desktop software? I've gone to great pains to get a good Desktop-PDA solution for my treo. I HATE Outlook with a passion, so let's not even go there. On my desktop, I use the following:

Email Client: Thunderbird;
    Addressbook: Thurnderbird address book, syncing to Plaxo;
    Calendar: Google Calendar;
    Tasklist: Palm tasklist app. I really don't like this, but it works, so I use it.

For syncing with my treo, I use the following:

Email: Chatter (this is about the best email app I've ever seen);
    Addressbook: Thurderbird -> Palmsync -> Treo (again, I always have a master copy of my address book online at plaxo for free);
    Calendar: Google Calendar -> Goosync -> Treo;
    Tasklist -> Hotsync -> Palm Tasklist app.

For me, the deal killers would not being able to sync my contacts and my calender.

Greg
    So here is what I found for you, and I am copying from another BB forum "http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-users-corner/74256-using-blackberry-dm-mac-can-done.html"

As for goosync, it works and here is how http://www.goosync.com/BlackBerryInstall.aspx
    Treoing & Loving it
    I have been looking at the BB8830 and I have to admit, it looks amazing. I am very tempted to use one of my corporate upgrades to go get one. If I don't like it, I'll just pass it off to an employee. From what GT has been reporting, this should be an amazing product. As I sit here and type this, looking at my 700p, I have to wonder: Is Palm that blind? Inside of a month, the iphone is hitting the market, RIM has some very nice devices our there (the 8830 being a VERY nice looking one). Palm has to have something up their sleeves if they want to stay in this market.

I'm not starting to dislike my Treo 700p. It has been the best purchase I have made in some time. It just appears to me that the competion is overtaking Palm in a big way right now.... Is the Treo really losing ground this quickly?

Greg
    So here is what I found for you, and I am copying from another BB forum "http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-users-corner/74256-using-blackberry-dm-mac-can-done.html"
    Many thanks for you research GT. However, CVS is no way to really sync address books. It is very labor intensive and almost always leads to losing data. One really needs to have a real sync solution that is basically transparent to the user. At the core of this is a global address/contactlist.

Having a global contact list/address book is a very valuable thing. For those who have not discovered Plaxo.com, you have no idea what you are missing. Plaxo allows you to keep a centralized repository of all of your contacts and sync this repository with most mainstream email clients. The best part about it is that this service is totally free.

I've been doing some google searching and I can't seem to find any good Desktop email client to blackberry addressbook syncing, unless you are using Outlook and I would use outlook even if it were free.

How are you storing your contacts on your desktop GT?

Greg
    Gzartman, I use outlook and only outlook. I have been with outlook since the begining now I have outlook 2007 and it syncs flawsley with the BB. Outlook is not bad, in my opinion, it has email, contacts, tasks and calendar all in one place.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Gzartman, I use outlook and only outlook. I have been with outlook since the begining now I have outlook 2007 and it syncs flawsley with the BB. Outlook is not bad, in my opinion, it has email, contacts, tasks and calendar all in one place.
    Once again, I'm heading off topic.... I do appologize and will limit my comments to this one post.

I respect that you are a loyal outlook user GT... Like most MS products, Outlook is a nice piece of software. However, to really take advantage of it, you need to be connecting to an MS Exchange Server. If you are working for a firm that has deployed this, Outlook is going to shine like nothing else out there. Deploying an Exchange server is not a trivial or inexpensive undertaking... For the Small to Medium Business, it can be VERY expensive. My firm simply can't justify the cost.

In general, Outlook is not the best email client out there if you aren't connecting to an exchange server. Alot of the "magic" that Outlook offers when connected to exchange just isn't there in stand alone mode. However, the good news is that there are some really good, low cost, options our there. I have opted for a more cost effective solution: SME Server -- www.smeserver.org. It is a customized version of Redhat Enterprise Linux specifically designed for small business. The best part about this OS is that it's free. I'm not a novice at this -- do a search on google with the key words my name (Greg Zartman) and Linux. You'll see that I've been involved with this for some time. For little, or no, out of pocket cost one can get everythign outlook offers.

Honestly, the best email client out there for the non-exchange server user is Thuderbird. Combine this with Google Calendar and you have 90% of what Outlook offers.

The trick is getting Google Calendar and Thurnderbird to Sync with ones PDA. I've done it as explained above, but I'm hoping that at some point down the line that I can move everything to iGoogle.

Have a good one.

Greg
    Greg,
    Thanks for your comments, that takes us back to the comment made earlier that there is no one solution that fits all users. I feel your pains with outlook as many users around me sound the same issues and a bunch more. I realize that there are solutions out there that could either meet or beat what outlook offers, but outlook works for me.
    Treoing & Loving it
    In thinking about this topic more, I think I can say one phone that I personally don't think will be a good replacment, despite the hype: The Iphone. Yes, it is going to be really neat and alot of people are going to buy it because it is really cool and looks cool. However, the huge deal breaker is the virtual keyboard. With the lack of tactile sensation to know your finger is on a key, it is going to be VERY difficult to do any typing unless you are sitting and and concentrating on what you are doing. Forget one hand operation. I can hardly even dial a number on my 700p using the virtual dial pad with my fingers and the buttons on the screen are really big. Most of the times I've tried it, I have to delete mistakes and retype the number a couple of times.

My opinion is the iphone is going to be nothing but a glorified Ipod. My 17 year old daughter would probably love it, but for the power user.... I'm not seeing it.

You just can't beat a QWERTY keyboard on a PDA.

Greg
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Seeing as how I just ordered a 755, I am going to wait on the iPhone, mostly because of the cost.

Life with my 700p has ranged from "decent" to "disappointing" and I really expected more after the 650. If I had not gotten a deal, I would have have dumped the 700p for a BB 8800 or 8830. And I may still do that if the 755 does not address the major issues: bluetooth, lag, etc.
    I too was thinking about the iphone but I quickly dismissed the idea after trying the BB. I needed a reliable phone that can receive emails in a timely fashion, not an ipod that can make calls.
    Treoing & Loving it
  12.    #72  
    When I started this thread, I had no idea it was going to go on so long! But in case anyone is wondering, I ended up with a 755p.

I played with the BB 8703 for a couple of weeks, and although there are many things I like about it, my needs just don't justify spending an additional $40 a month on the Sprint Blackberry data plan. In addition, I really missed the touch screen, and found that my finger was hurting after spending so much time on the scroll wheel.

The 755p is very nice. As many others have said, it's what the 700p should have been. I got mine on Tuesday, and am very pleased with it. Frankly, if I still had my 700p, I doubt I'd need to upgrade, as it isn't that different, but it's certainly nice to have a Treo that does what it's supposed to do.
    GT,

You weren't kidding about the BB 8830. Just found this over at Verizon:
    http://estore.vzwshop.com/blackberry/

Nice looking phone. My guess is that from a functionality standpoint, it isn't too different from you 8800?

Greg
    GT5L,

I have been looking for someone just like you. Thanks for all your details about the 8800. I too, am seriously considering dropping the treo line after having 600, 650 and 700. Kinda concerned getting into the BB field. So I have a couple questions myself...

Can the email program read HTML or is it only text? Please elaborate on the email program.

Secondly, does the IM program support AIM or is it only Gtalk and Yahoo?

How is dealing without the camera? I know you mentioned earlier that it's not necessary. Couldn't you also, get an adapter for the Micro (or is it Mini) and use it as a regular SD card for a digital camera? Then just pop the card out of the adapter and read pics from the 8800.

What about paying for the extra BB data service. Is it worth paying more the a vision plan?

Thanks for you input!
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    GT,

I spent a good two hours at the Cingular store today and got some very good help from a tech/sales person who personally owns a 8800.

My first impression of the 8800: It is just too wide. I moved from a Razor to my treo and for the first couple weeks felt like I was carrying a brick around in my pocket. Yes the BB8800 is thinner than my treo, but dang that thing is wide.

My second impression: The BB8800 doesn't seem nearly as solid as my Treo. Maybe the phone I was messing with had been heavily used, but even the sales guys phone just didn't seem as tight/solid as my Treo. Frankly it flet little flimsy. THe BB Perl that sat right next to the BB8800 there at the Cingular store even seemed to be more solidly built

Third, while the BB software with that trackball provides a nice interface, it still is not as good as my Treo. I think the five way toggle, or what ever it is they call what is on my 700p, is much easy to use and provides finer grain movements.

Now, I didn't get alot of time to play around with the actual software on the BB8800, but from what I could tell it was mostly on par with anything palm could offer. I held my Treo right next to the 8800 and browsed web pages and I felt they looked better on my treo, but maybe that's me.

While I was there, I picked up my first Treo 680. While it is not that much smaller than my 700P, the difference is very noticeable. It felt alot lighter and just seemed to fit in my hand better. It definitely felt better in my hand than the BB 8800. My understanding is the 755P is the same form factor as the 680. If palm has managed to fix the crashing, lags, etc. that we see on the 700P, I would go with the 755p over the BB8800. For me, it boils down to:

1. The 680 (755p) has a better form factor than the BB8800. It just feels better in the hand.

2. The Palm GUI and five way toggle selector (sorry if this is the wrong terminology) really is nicer to use.

3. The Treo device seems more solid, durable, than the BB8800.

Granted, my exposure to the BB was limited, but my feeling based on my conversation with the Cingular guy who owns a 8800 and my playing about with the BB is that both units, the Treo and the BB8800, will basically DO the same things. He did, however, really brag about the GPS feature. Verizon has something similar as I had it on my old Razor, so I have no idea why they don't offer it on the Treo. Personally, it is eye candy as far as I'm concerned.

I just think the Treo is an all around better device, especially if Palm has fixed the 700P software issues in the 755P.

Unless something earth shattering happens, I am going to buy a 755p when it comes out on Verizon and give my 700P to my wife.

Greg
    Last edited by gzartman; 05/20/2007 at 01:32 AM.
    Replace your Treo 700p with a Treo 755p. No need to think twice.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Replace your Treo 700p with a Treo 755p. No need to think twice.

Al
    Well, normally, I wouldn't swap out a phone this quickly (have only had my 700P for a few months), but I have a free upgrade coming on my corporate account and my wife has been envious of my Treo. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence for me when it comes to the technology I use. However, my wife would be happy as a clam with my 700P once it's "MRed."

I was mainly doing some research on the BB8800 as gt5l had pointed out some very compelling reasons to go with the Berry. He suggested I get one for a week and really give it a go, which I probably should have done. However, I was so turned off by the BB 8800form factor and concerned about the other things I pointed out above that I would rather stay with my crashing 700P regardless of how well the BB software functioned.

Interestingly, while I was at the Cingular store checking out the BB8800, the sales guy offered to pay my cancellation fee with Verizon if I moved my corporate acct to Cingular, give me $200 in rebates on as many BB8800s as I wanted, and waive all of the activation fees, etc. I could have walked out of there yesterday with a BB8800 for just under $200.

Greg
    Last edited by gzartman; 05/20/2007 at 11:38 AM.
    Sorry I haven't been checking this thread for few days now. You had asked about emails on the BB and they are strictly text unless I think that is for security resons since the BES usually resides behind the corp firewall. However, if you open emails using webmail you can view html emails.
    As I mentioned earlier I don't think that there is a one solution fits all. We each have certain things we require to make our daily lives easier. For some the Palm platform is the answer (and it has been for me for 10 years now) and for others the BB is the answer. Its whatever works for you, there is no right or wrong answer. I have been using th BB8800 for 3 weeks now and I like it so far. I will get the 8830 when it comes out in Jul. I thought I would have a harder time getting used to the BB or I would miss my Treo, but the truth is I have not turned the treo on for about three weeks now, I even stopped carrying it around anymore.
    Last edited by gt5l; 05/20/2007 at 06:25 PM.
    Treoing & Loving it
    IM programs, all the ones that work on the treo work on the bb. As for the camera the bb uses micro sd card and with an adapter it will fit in any sd capable camers or reader
    Last edited by gt5l; 05/20/2007 at 06:22 PM.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    GT,

You weren't kidding about the BB 8830. Just found this over at Verizon:
    http://estore.vzwshop.com/blackberry/

Nice looking phone. My guess is that from a functionality standpoint, it isn't too different from you 8800?

Greg
    The 8830 is just like the 8800 from what I understand with one exception, it is a dual CDMA GSM phone i.e. the phone will work on the sprint and verzion's network and when you travel outside the US you can buy a local sim card and use your phone as usual. That is what got me thinking about the blackberry, then i tried the 8800 and the rest is history.
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast