Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    gt5l,
    I am really intrigued by the BB. I would love to know if it handles Word, excel and power point. Can I edit or just view? How is the interface for the default apps, can you change their order and hide unnecessary ones? I currently don't use data, can I sync via cable for email? I do use outlook via versamail. How is the player really? Any skips? does it support album art or just the titles? How is the audio quality for voice calls? Is it loud enough? Does it support BT 1.2? What is the card support for extra storage? I think this sums up my questions. BTW, I will be in a tropical paradise that may not have internet for two weeks as of right now. I will reply when I can. You can PM me the info if you like. I would appreciate it. Maybe when I return, you will have had ample time to play with the BB and have a more conclusive explanation of the pro's and cons. I really appreciate your earlier reply. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    allright cigarman I have a BB8800 in hand what would you like to know.

Others, I found this picture on the web, I consider this the fate of many 700p after the MR comes out and things are either the same if not worse (if experience with previous devices MR stands true)
    http://imajr.com/th/Treo_Upgrade_48814.jpg
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I would get the Treo 755p, it is less money. Grab it!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    CigarMan, I just want to answer your specific questions first then I am going to post full spec of the BB8800
    I would love to know if it handles Word, excel and power point. Can I edit or just view? You can only view native office attachments, you cannot modify them or create new one, however, dataviz (the makers of DocsToGo for palm) is due to release a version that will work on BB that is according to information posted on www,dataviz.com
    How is the interface for the default apps, can you change their order and hide unnecessary ones? You can change the order and hide applications without the need for 3rd party app. You can arrange the app in any order you want by simply dragging and dropping the application where you want it. You can also hide any app you choose.
    I currently don't use data, can I sync via cable for email? You can sync via cable or BT (yes BT is very stable) and if you set it up you can sync once the device finds the computer via BT. You cannot install apps this way you can only install apps via sync cable. I have all my appointments and contacts (both in the 1000s) in outlook 2007 and the sync takes about 1 min (BT or hard wired)
    How is the player really? Any skips? Does it support album art or just the titles? from what I have seen, and my experience with player is limited so far, it does not skip, you can have play lists and you can have your albums in different folders on the SD card.
    How is the audio quality for voice calls? Is it loud enough? Yes, I have not had any issues, I have made calls in both quite and noisy surroundings and the calls went pretty well. Now remember the 8800 I am trying is on Cingular so signal strength is different than sprint's in my area so I am not sure this comparison is really objective.
    Does it support BT 1.2? I don't know the answer to that but I know it is BT 2.0 whatever that means. So far I have been able to pair it with my Laptop and Moto Headset
    What is the card support for extra storage? It takes micor SD cards, I currently have a 2gb card I am not sure if larger cards are available (didn't see any at BestBuy) or when they become available if the BB can handle them)
    I will be in a tropical paradise that may not have internet for two weeks as of right now. Enjoy your time, when you return I would be on the road to a two month vacation touring different parts of the world (I am taking this unlocked BB8800 along). I will have intermittent access to the internet so my replies will be sparse.

Finally, to get the full BB experience, I recommend going to the Cingular store and try an 8800 for a month, when the 8830 comes out on the sprint network (I think VZW has it now) it will be identical to the 8800 except for the fact that it will support CDMA and GSM
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    GT,

I have to admit, you are peaking my interest with the new BB 8830. I do really like my Treo 700p, but I can see it has some issues. It is such a pitty that you have to basically buy and commit to one of these things for two years to really work with it. I'd like to have about a week with a BB to see how I really feel about it. I do admit that my limited interaction and in-experience with it may be biasing me.

Greg
    Go get yourself a BB from the Cingular store and try it out for a month not just a week. Just dont get anything but the BB8800 or if you go to the VZW store get a 8830 nothing else I would recommend all the other models are either suped up phones or just un-attractive desgins. If you really want the sexiest blackberry waith for the 8300 the curve. I myslef would rather own the 8800 over the 8300
    Treoing & Loving it
    Overview
    As the newest addition to the BlackBerry suite, the sleek, stylish, and powerful BlackBerry 8800 is the thinnest full QWERTY BlackBerry available. It features internal GPS, a rich media player for music and videos plus a microSD expansion card slot to add up to 2 GB of additional memory. Features include easy-to-use trackball navigation, a large high-resolution screen plus even longer talk and standby times. It is full of convenient features such as voice dialing, speakerphone, and Bluetooth 2.0. With its advanced features and impressive performance, the new BlackBerry 8800 has everything you need in one sleek design!

Included Features
    • BlackBerry email, messaging, and organizer in one sleek design
    • The thinnest full QWERTY BlackBerry available
    • Easy-to-use intuitive trackball navigation this thing is amazing, after you get the hand of it and figure out how to use it to the fullest you just wonder how you handeled any PDA without it
    • Automatic wireless delivery of enterprise or personal email
    • BlackBerry Enterprise Server® & BlackBerry Internet Service® email This comes with either dataplans you choose, the BIS is great it allows true push for up to 10 private/corporate email accounts at no extra charge
    • View Microsoft® Word, Excel®, PowerPoint®, and Adobe® PDFs and by view they mean just view, however, dataviz will be realising a docstogo blackberry happy version
    • Large adjustable brightness light sensing screen and it works
    • Integrated GPS navigation with Telenav® support if nothing else this should be a selling point. You are not only buying a phone, a pda, an mp3 player but also a ture GPS device with voice prompt directions at no extra charge
    • Bluetooth® Wireless v2.0 technology haven't lost any paired devices yet
    • BlackBerry Media player for MP3 music and videos no skipping and no kidding
    • MicroSD expansion card slot - add up to 2 GB memory
    • PIM integration for contacts, tasks, and calendar seamless integration with MS, Lotus, Domino and a bunch of other main stream PIMs
    • Helpful setup wizard for email and personalization
    • Integrated speakerphone, conference calling, & voice dialing yes add and drop calls to ongoing converstions on the fly
    • Extended battery life - 5 hrs talk time; 24 days of standby 24 freaking days, I have gone for 4-5 days of regular use wihtout having to charge
    • Push to Talk - "Walkie-Talkie" style communication i have not tried this but i assume it is as described
    • Global voice and data roaming in over 120 countries
    • Browse MEdia Net for ringtones and content
    • Fast HTML browser to surf the web loads pages faster than blazer but that is not a faitr comparison because my device that runs blazer is on the sprint non EvDo (because it is not available in my area) and the BB is on Cingular EDGE
    • BlackBerry Instant Messaging
    • Text and Picture Messaging

Technical Specs
    • Weight: 4.73 ounces
    • Dimensions: 4.49 x 2.6 x .55 inches
    • Talk Time: Up to 5 hours
    • Standby Time: Up to 24 days
    • Powerful 312 MHz processor
    • Quad-band world phone - 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    • Operates on GSM, GPRS and EDGE networks
    • Memory: 64 MB included flash memory
    • MicroSD(TM) expansion slot for extra memory
    • Bluetooth® Wireless v2.0 / USB 2.0 connectivity
    • Large 65K color LCD screen with adjustable brightness
    • Global roaming: Voice in 185 countries plus data in 120+ countries
    • Powerful 1400 mAh battery for longer talk and standby times
    • Warranty: One year warranty on the BlackBerry 8800 & accessories
    • All talk, data & standby times depend on network configuration

What is not described in thie Tech Spec is the holster, this is one of the intuitive things blackberry has implemented. If you slide your device into the supplied holster you can set it up to end conversations. Also in the holster you can set the BB to be in slient mode, so you can walk into a meeting and not have to worry that your phone is going to ring in the middle of the boss's presentation only yo have your significant other calling to ask you where their keys are
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I would get the Treo 755p, it is less money. Grab it!
    Sure, the band kept playing while the Titanic was sinking
    Treoing & Loving it
    Go get yourself a BB from the Cingular store and try it out for a month not just a week. Just dont get anything but the BB8800 or if you go to the VZW store get a 8830 nothing else I would recommend all the other models are either suped up phones or just un-attractive desgins. If you really want the sexiest blackberry waith for the 8300 the curve. I myslef would rather own the 8800 over the 8300
    GT,

You really do think the BB8800+ is a better unit than a Treo? What was it that was the real turning point for you?

Greg
    I truely believe that BB is better, What changed my mind is the extreme stability and reliability of this phone. I think they are comprable on the features side but stability is a big issue for me. I must be able to make phone calls on the fly, not wait on the phone to decide when to maka a call. This is an issue i experienced with the 600, 650 and not the 700. So I doubt that this MR is going to resolve this issue. I also must be able to multitask and switch apps on the fly, afterall these are small devices with very powerfull processors and they should be able to do that, however, my 700p will either reset or hangs for a while before switching to another app. The real turning point is GPS and BT stability.
    Treoing & Loving it
    The problem for me is that a Treo truly is a little PC, complete with phone and networking abilities. A BB is still just a glorified Smartphone, even with a built in GPS.

Maybe I'm wrong, so please tell me if a a BB can:
    -Play streaming audio/video over the internet?
    -Play old SCUMM games and Sierra AGI games?
    -Play Doom/Heretic/Quake?
    -Run a NES/SNES/GB/GENS/TG16/GG emulator?
    -VNC into my home computer?
    -FTP to my home computer/server?
    -Play DivX/Xvid video?
    -Play MIDI files?
    -View and edit native office files?
    -Copy, edit, rename, move, etc files of any type on the device or expansion card?
    -Install programs onto itself from the internet without having to sync with a PC?
    -Read .zip files?

I'm not just a Treo Fanboy, I'd really like to know if there's another phone on the market that can do all of that?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    -Play streaming audio/video over the internet? I belive yes but I have not tried it (give me a link and I will try it)
    -Play old SCUMM games and Sierra AGI games? I don't know because I don't play games on either the Plam or the BB, or come to think about it, I don't play games at all.
    -Play Doom/Heretic/Quake? See answer above
    -Run a NES/SNES/GB/GENS/TG16/GG emulator? See answer above
    -VNC into my home computer? Yes
    -FTP to my home computer/server? Yes
    -Play DivX/Xvid video? I don't watch vidoes on small screes, but from what I have been reading it does not do that nativley but 3rd party apps could get you there. The treo needs 3rd party apps to accomplish this task
    -Play MIDI files? Yes
    -View and edit native office files? View yes, edit not untill dataviz releases Docstogo for blackberry. Palm can't do it without doctogo either
    -Copy, edit, rename, move, etc files of any type on the device or expansion card? That can be done when you hook up the device to the computer. The treo can't do that without a 3rd party app either
    -Install programs onto itself from the internet without having to sync with a PC? Yes
    -Read .zip files? I think the answer is not but I have not tried

My answers above are based on using the device out of the box without any 3rd part apps.
    Someone said around here that these devices (Palm, BB, HP, ... etc) are meant to mke life easier and there is no one device fits all. If the treo is meeting "YOUR" needs then you are good to go. I felt the treo was more like a toy and I feel that the BB is more of a business device with some room for fun. I may be a serious person, but as i mentioned it repeatidly, stability and reliability is one thing I must have in any piece of technology i own
    Treoing & Loving it
    I just found this out regarding streaming. This is from sona's website "New Platform Enables ‘Push’ and Streaming Distribution of Multi-Media Content to Popular Mobile Devices" they are talking about the blackberry platform BTW

Actually, upon reading more on the BB forums, the answer is YES using either Radio Bee or MF Radio. I have not tried either as I have the music i isten to on the SD card
    Treoing & Loving it
    I just found this out regarding streaming. This is from sona's website "New Platform Enables ‘Push’ and Streaming Distribution of Multi-Media Content to Popular Mobile Devices" they are talking about the blackberry platform BTW

Actually, upon reading more on the BB forums, the answer is YES using either Radio Bee or MF Radio. I have not tried either as I have the music i isten to on the SD card
    How about streaming video?

I'm fine with 3rd-party software, as all of the 3rd party apps required to do what I had listed above are open-source and/or free. Can you provide links to the BB software equivalents that you referred to? I'd be interested to look at them to compare prices/functionality.
    Last edited by CountBuggula; 05/15/2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Someone said around here that these devices (Palm, BB, HP, ... etc) are meant to mke life easier and there is no one device fits all.
    Really? Making life easier sounds pretty boring to me. I think devices should make life more enjoyable and exciting, but that's just me, and they're two very different ways of looking at that basket of fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    How about streaming video?

I'm fine with 3rd-party software, as all of the 3rd party apps required to do what I had listed above are open-source and/or free. Can you provide links to the BB software equivalents that you referred to? I'd be interested to look at them to compare prices/functionality.
    I have been lurking over at blackberry forums, plenty of answers for your questions there. Sorry I can't give you a direct answer as I have only been using this device for a couple of weeks now.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I think devices should make life more enjoyable and exciting, ....
    I am not sure we are talking about the same devices , just kidding as I said earlier I am a more serious type of person who like some play, Like most of you I have a ton of things to do, just having to deal with a phone that is not behaving like one and a PDA that is behaving like a brick is not something I enjoy.
    Treoing & Loving it
    just having to deal with a phone that is not behaving like one and a PDA that is behaving like a brick is not something I enjoy.
    I don't get it. What are all of you doing that causes all these resets and problems? The only time my Treo ever resets is if I overclock it too much or am doing crazy things like emulating SNES games (and playing with the memory with UDMH). Otherwise as my main phone it works fine. I have no problems whatsoever with email and internet browsing usage with it (which I do all the time) although I don't use a bluetooth headset. I do use bluetooth for my GPS device and TomTom, though, and never have issues with that. I'm looking forward to the firmware update (quicker task-switching will be nice) but none of the problems the Treo currently have are crippling for me, especially when I get so much use out of its myriad functionality.

I've read conflicting things about the BB's operating system. It seems to be both proprietary and java-based. So can you install any java app for a mobile device or do you need to find a specific BB version of each application you want to install on it?
    I have been lurking over at blackberry forums, plenty of answers for your questions there. Sorry I can't give you a direct answer as I have only been using this device for a couple of weeks now.
    Ahh, ok it looks like as of only a year or two ago the answer to almost every one of my above questions was no. Only very recently have Blackberries begun to be much more usable and accessible (and it's been about that long since I seriously looked at one, hence my skepticism). I found a whole bunch of answers to my questions at:

Blackberry Myths Busted
    CountBuggula, I am not even doing any CPU intensive operations. Just simply making a phone call is a touch and go operation, never mind trying to make two or three calls in a row. Yes I have tried hard reset and yes it does solve most of the problems. But once you start buiding those call logs and caches (a week or two) things come to a halt again (i had mine do a soft reset everyday at 0800, can you imagine the resets if i didn't do that)

the myth busted document is AWSOME,thanks
    Treoing & Loving it
    Copied for everyine's benifit from the link in post #57 (BlackBerry Myths Busted)

********BEGIN COPY********
    BlackBerry Myths
    The Modern era BlackBerry.
    (Vastly superior to 2003-era and 2004-era BlackBerrys)
    There are many myths about BlackBerrys not having good image quality and not good for anything except email. That USED to be true.

[edit]MYTH: RIM is only good for email
    That used to be true, but not anymore. BlackBerry has traditionally been branded with the one thing it does brilliantly - email. But with new devices such as the 8700, 7130 and most recently the Pearl we now see great voice facilities as well, which means device convergence is now the case for many users. Email, PIM, web, voice and applications all in one small stylish handheld device. Perfect!!

[edit]MYTH: Blackberry has poor quality screens
    That used to be true, but not anymore. If you see one of the newer models (Model 7290, 7250, 7520, or 7100 are the BRIGHT-screen models, you will be impressed at the screen quality which is much more on par with PocketPC's and Palm's today.
    Note: Bright-screen 7520 model should not be confused with dim-screen 7510
    Note: Bright-screen 7290 model should not be confused with dim-screen 7280

[edit]MYTH: BlackBerry has poor PIM
    That used to be true, but not anymore. There are several third party PIM's such as PocketDay and eWorks. You now have multiple addresses and categories. Plus, it's faster to update information on a BlackBerry than on a PocketPC/Palm, with tips like BlackBerry Calendar Tricks There are even program for special organizing systems like NextAction! which focuses on implementing GTD (Getting Things Done) on your BlackBerry.

[edit]MYTH: BlackBerry can't do Internet apps
    Wrong again. That used to be true that you required BES and MDS, but not anymore. Especially with BlackBerryOS4. See Configuring Internet on BlackBerry ... You can even use certain models of BlackBerry as a modem for laptop

[edit]MYTH: BlackBerry does IM poorly
    Wrong again. Ignore the crappy 7100 chat client, you can get a great third party program called Verichat, the exact same thing now available for TREO's. Verichat is actually better on a certain model BlackBerry than a TREO too as well, as you can run it for 75 hours nonstop on a single battery charge on a BlackBerry model 7290 (although the other BlackBerry models have shorter battery life). Verichat on BlackBerry is now more superior and more reliable than Sidekick/Hiptop, especially if you have Version 1.91 or later. Google has additionally developed a mobile GTalk client which works great on Blackberries.

On top of BlackBerry Messenger RIM is also developing MSN Messenger, AOL and ICQ for release soon.

[edit]MYTH: Not Much BlackBerry Software
    That used to be true, but not anymore. There has been a amazing explosion of BlackBerry software. There are now over 1,000 programs. At the start of 2004, there were only 2 chat programs. Now there's over 20 chat programs today, including several open source BlackBerry projects on SourceForge too! And remember, you can install Nokia/Motorola/Sony/Samsung/Siemens java phone software on a BlackBerry nowadays. That adds thousands of extra software programs on top of the existing BlackBerry software! Java J2ME MIDP 2.0 is now supported in BlackBerryOS4, getting access to the latest cellphone videogames, etc. Google has also developed a mobile version of GMaps, which works great on Blackberries.

[edit]MYTH: It is not possible to use the standardized vCard, vCalendar, iCalendar attachments on your BlackBerry without a BES
    Until now it was only possible to use vCard attachments with a BES that supports them. Now this is possible with every BlackBerry with the help of an application called vCardMaster.

For other posts dispelling other BlackBerry myths, see Why BlackBerry?and BlackBerry versus Sidekick as well.

[edit]Easily Done on BlackBerry
    Look at what you can *easily* do on a modern BlackBerry:

[edit]Verichat (Instant Messaging
    Trillian-style software from www.verichat.com

******END COPY*******
    Treoing & Loving it
    I don't get it. What are all of you doing that causes all these resets and problems?
    I am actually eathing my own words by saying what I'm going to say... I have no idea what makes the 700p crash. I was just bragging a few days ago that my treo crashes maybe once a week. Well, in the last 72 hr my treo has been crashing like crazy and I've done absolutely nothing to it besides make phone calls, check my email and browse websites. Twice today, it reset after the first ring of a phone call. I have no idea who was calling me because it didn't even register in the call log. Maybe my Treo knew I was bragging about it and decided to start crashing.

In any event, I'm starting to feel the "700p" pain that everyone has been talking about. I'm sure it is one of the apps I've installed that is causing it. The Palm OS doesnt' use protected memory, so when an app causes problems, the whole system goes down.

I did a hard reset about an hour ago and restored from an NVbackup I had on my SD card from the day I started bragging. So far, no crashing.

I'm sure if I ran a stock Treo setup, I'd have very little crashing. I don't have alot installed, but I have installed and untinstalled several apps. Maybe I need to just ditch everythign and reinstall the apps I've settled on.

Greg
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast