Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I take pictures of buildings, signs, people - things I see traveling and send them to my family to give them an idea of what I am seeing. I could get better pics with a camera but I can't send pics quickly w/ one.

I also take pics of people for caller id. the camera is very valuable to me.
    O.K. so I went to my local Cingular/AT&T store and bought a BB8800, and i have to tell you the truth, I can't wait for the 8830 to come out on Sprint. I am dropping the palm like a hot potato. I dont have to rave about the BB but the thing is nice, functional, GPS capable, of course its a BB so BES is a given. Light weight, stylish and clear voice. I am sold, this is everything I wanted palm to do, I wanted a stable phone that is light weight and snappy. As I stated earlier the camera though nice it is not necessary for me, and as i transition to my next assignment I believe cameras are a no go. The only reason I would wait for the 8830 instead of keeping the 8800 is the cheap prices spint has to offer for their plans, sure it is not their customer service or reliability in Hershey PA. Cingualr would charge me for a plan that has 1/2 of the minutes that I have now $40 more than what I am paying now.

Oh, I forgot the push to talk and trackball controller, I think they call it the pearl
    Treoing & Loving it
  3.    #23  
    So... here's the scoop. I finally got to the Sprint store this morning, and told the guy my story. He's gotten nothing from Sprint about the 755p, and when I asked him about the May 14 release date, he said, "Those dates are often delayed."

I just couldn't bring myself to get another 700p, especially since their prices are still ridiculous. But he confirmed that Sprint still has a 30-day return policy, so I got a BB 8703e, figuring that I can play with it and take it back once I hear how the 700p MR and/or the 755p do.

I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet, but I'll let you know what I think if there's interest. Thanks again for your feedback.
    chcswa, tell us about the GPS-enabled for Location-based Services when you get a chance. The 8830 has telenav which is GPS with direction and voice prompt for $9.99/mo
    Treoing & Loving it
    what credit card paid for the replacment and why did they?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I find cell phone cameras in general near to useless in terms of quality and features.

However, I am curious (and this is a legitimate question) as to what you folks use the cell phone cameras for?
    Documentation when you don't have a real camera. For example you could take some quick shots at an accident scene.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Documentation when you don't have a real camera. For example you could take some quick shots at an accident scene.
    I suppose you are right...
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Consider the ubiquio and the iphone. Mighty good possibilities with either one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    O.K. so I went to my local Cingular/AT&T store and bought a BB8800, and i have to tell you the truth, I can't wait for the 8830 to come out on Sprint. I am dropping the palm like a hot potato. I dont have to rave about the BB but the thing is nice, functional, GPS capable, of course its a BB so BES is a given. Light weight, stylish and clear voice. I am sold, this is everything I wanted palm to do, I wanted a stable phone that is light weight and snappy. As I stated earlier the camera though nice it is not necessary for me, and as i transition to my next assignment I believe cameras are a no go. The only reason I would wait for the 8830 instead of keeping the 8800 is the cheap prices spint has to offer for their plans, sure it is not their customer service or reliability in Hershey PA. Cingualr would charge me for a plan that has 1/2 of the minutes that I have now $40 more than what I am paying now.

Oh, I forgot the push to talk and trackball controller, I think they call it the pearl
    I'd do the same thing but I like touch-screens, I wish BB would make one with a TS
    OK so day 2 with the BB, I am taking it back tomorrow so I dont have to pay the activation fee. I gotta tell you I like and it is easy to get used to. Several times I touched the screen trying to select something. Also the web browser takes some getting used to. But other than that i think this is my next phone. When sprint starts selling the 8830 I will get one. Actually, I bought an 8800 that I can use over the next 2 month (I am traveling and I need a GSM phone) and when I get back I will sell this one and the treo 700p and get an 8830. Things I have not tried yet with the BB, is the BES and personal emails and from what I have been reading they are a delight.
    Treoing & Loving it
    trying this BB made me resent palm a little more, how come the BB can have a smart holster where the device turns itself off automatically when you slide it into the holster. How come the BB can detect the lighting level and adjust brightness and keyboard lights accordingly. These things are right out of the box, not 3rd party apps and not hacks, how come the BB can figure these things out and Palm can't even put out a phone that you could make 2 phone calls in a row without having to wait for a minute between the two calls.
    Treoing & Loving it
  12.    #32  
    I've spent much of the weekend with the BB 8703e and I have mixed feelings. gt5l is right about the above, but here are some of my comments so far.

Pros:
    • Variable-brightness screen is nice, every bit as sharp as the 700p.
    • Bluetooth. Yes.
    • Gmail app is nice.
    • The built-in browser is better than Blazer, and add-on Opera Mini is really nice.
    • Keyboard is easier to type on, and character locations makes more ergonomic sense to me.
    • Battery life seems to be very good.
    • I'm doing pretty well with left-handed, one-handed operation, as long as I don't have to do ALT+trackwheel, which is impossible.
    • I was shocked at how easy it was to set up my POP accounts. Just type in the email address and the password, and the system seems to figure out the server info for you. Amazing.

Cons:
    • System fonts are hard on the eyes, and apparently you're stuck with a limited number of options.
    • Sprint's default launcher screen reminds me of that dreadful launcher that came with my old Clie UX50 -- animated icons on a bright background, impossible to see -- although you can change that.
    • Bad as Palm Desktop is, at least Palm users have ways of syncing with something other than Outlook. BB only syncs with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT, Netscape 4 (?), Lotus Organizer (!? -- I haven't used that since 1999!) and other software that I refuse to use. Forget connecting with anything open-source, like Thunderbird or Sunbird, except (surprisingly enough) from a Mac. Hmm, maybe it's time to go there...
    • GCalSync is supposed to work, but I have had no luck so far.
    • Documentation is pretty bad. I guess they assume you'll get support from your company's IT department.
    • Address book, calendar, etc., are pretty rudimentary, and although there is more third-party software than I had thought, it's pretty limited. Not much in the way of free stuff.

Lots of things not tried yet, so we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    trying this BB made me resent palm a little more, how come the BB can have a smart holster where the device turns itself off automatically when you slide it into the holster. How come the BB can detect the lighting level and adjust brightness and keyboard lights accordingly. These things are right out of the box, not 3rd party apps and not hacks, how come the BB can figure these things out and Palm can't even put out a phone that you could make 2 phone calls in a row without having to wait for a minute between the two calls.
    Your selling me to a complete descision...I also am contemplating dropping my 700 for the 8830.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by chcswa View Post
    Battery life seems to be very good.
    I agree, I used the device for two days, granted not heavy voice use, but lots of data (web and text) and I did not charge the device at all. It was on all night too. It seems not to stuck in the search for network mode. On a seperate note, something that has nothing to do with BB i think, the signal cingular in my basement is great and I get Edge in my area. With sprint I have to be near a window to use the Treo and no EvDo.
    Treoing & Loving it
    we are moving the BB/Treo "discussion" in here
    Treoing & Loving it
    To sum up, some of us have been discussing the pros and cons of both BB and Treo in another thread, we were really hijacking the thread and I recommended moving the discussion to this thread since it is more approperiate given the title of this one.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Treo lovers are forgeting one thing the BB8800 and the 8830 offer right out of the box, GPS capabilities
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have moved to this discussion so as to not hijack the other thread.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    allright cigarman I have a BB8800 in hand what would you like to know.

Others, I found this picture on the web, I consider this the fate of many 700p after the MR comes out and things are either the same if not worse (if experience with previous devices MR stands true)
    http://imajr.com/th/Treo_Upgrade_48814.jpg
    Treoing & Loving it
    GT,

I have to admit, you are peaking my interest with the new BB 8830. I do really like my Treo 700p, but I can see it has some issues. It is such a pitty that you have to basically buy and commit to one of these things for two years to really work with it. I'd like to have about a week with a BB to see how I really feel about it. I do admit that my limited interaction and in-experience with it may be biasing me.

Greg
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast