1.    #1  
    I bought an Unlocked Treo 680 direct from Palm, paying extra for their version without any strings. works fine with my cingular card, but when I go abroad it doesn't work with my vodafone UK card.

Palm phone support was pretty useless, and kept on asking me what carrier I was using, until I repeatedly drilled it into them that I bought the phone from PALM and it was not a locked carrier phone.

they then said I need to upgrade my UK sim card to a '3G card', as the phone needs that - sounds like nonsense to me as the Treo 680 is not a 3G phone, but I just gave up after being run around so long on this.

anyone know if its true?
    I don't think it has anything to do with the Treo not supporting 3G data speeds. There was a thread a few months ago that dealt specifically with some 680's not working right with older sim cards. Users founds that switching to newer 3G cards helped with whatever issues they experienced (some had low signals, frequent dropped calls, gibberish networks, etc.). So yea, even though the 680 is not a 3G phone, getting a 3G sim card might fix whatever issue you're having.
    Follow Me On

Actually, a lot of people found that switching to the older non-3G cards fixed the gibberish issue on their 680s. So, it's not necessary to have a 3G SIM card...
  4.    #4  
    I'm not having a gibberish issue, the phone is simply not starting, like a LOCKED phone, asking for PUK #, and it isnt a locked phone...
    I think Palm's support (offshore, sounded like India) didn't understand me, despite me explaining it 4 times. They kept asking which carrier I was with...
    I asked to be upgraded to supervisor, then they came back and blamed the non3G card.
    a PUK should be an eight digit code that goes with the sim card. Did you lock the card by entering the wrong pin code more than three times? The puk is usually written on the credit card size card that the sim came in.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by peegeenyc View Post
    I'm not having a gibberish issue, the phone is simply not starting, like a LOCKED phone, asking for PUK #, and it isnt a locked phone...
    I think Palm's support (offshore, sounded like India) didn't understand me, despite me explaining it 4 times. They kept asking which carrier I was with...
    I asked to be upgraded to supervisor, then they came back and blamed the non3G card.
    I wasn't saying you're having a gibberish issue. I was just pointing out that many 680 users are using non-3G cards successfully. So in short, you shouldn't have to have one to use yours. Wasn't that what you were asking? Whether or not Cingular saying you need a 3G SIM card is accurate?
    The phone is asking for the PUK? Alright, that is a little more specific. I would call the cell phone provider and let them know that you need the Pin Unlock Key (puk) because your sim has locked you out of the phone.
    Follow Me On