Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 650 keyboard is not working. I found it on the floor (baby likes to carry it around). The screen and hardware looks fine. I can recieve calls on it and have conversations. All the buttons depress easily. I tried for about 30 minutes to get it to unlock. It did so by itself, once, today. WHen it did that, I found I could navigate using the touch screen, but none of the keyboard or side buttons worked. I've tried resetting (with the reset button, battery out and back in) - no luck - powers on, buttons don't work. Please, please - any suggestions!

Thanks,
    Roxy
    Did you check to see if one of the keys where stuck down?
    Does the baby put the Treo in his/her mouth? I wonder if he/she may have gotten some drool down through the keys and shorted something out?
    happened with my son...with his sticky fingers..the hotsync connector went bad..send it in under insurance if you have it.
    does the keyboard light up?
  6.    #6  
    None of the keys are stuck down.

The keyboard does light up.

It's possible she put it in her mouth, but she's almost two and doesn't really mouth things anymore - just likes to pretend she's using the stylus.

Doesn't seem to hotsync. It charges in the cradle, but no syncing.

My husband made some other observations that might be helpful.
    • The 5-way button doesn't seem to do anything at all, under any circumstances.
    • When the phone is off, it turns on if I press the Phone, Power, Calendar or Contacts button, but then can't be unlocked.
    • If I take out the battery and put it back in, then those buttons don't work. For instance, if I accidentally go into RealPlayer, then I can't get back out b/c pressing one of those buttons does nothing.

Unfortunately, I no longer have insurance - lost/broke my phone often enough that they said no coverage for a period of time.

My husband is encouraging me to activate my old 600, but, oh, the horror!!

Thanks for any new ideas.

Roxy
  7.    #7  
    New info - I just noticed that when the Volume Care nag screen popped up, the buttons started working. It worked now on two occasions, about five minutes apart, then stopped again. I deleted Volume Care. It's still not working though, since the last time it started. Not sure if they're at all related, especially since it's stopped working and Volume Care is not on there, but thought I'd mention it.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyanne10 View Post
    New info - I just noticed that when the Volume Care nag screen popped up, the buttons started working. It worked now on two occasions, about five minutes apart, then stopped again. I deleted Volume Care. It's still not working though, since the last time it started. Not sure if they're at all related, especially since it's stopped working and Volume Care is not on there, but thought I'd mention it.
    Search for threads on disassembling the Treo. Just take it apart and put it back together, it worked for me more than once.
    maybe hard reset? maybe the keyguard is acting funny?
    Because you do not take it service to the technical, surely that they you fix it!
    Quote Originally Posted by despinova View Post
    Because you do not take it service to the technical, surely that they you fix it!

?????????
  12.    #12  
    Despinova,

I'm thinking you translated your sentence with an automatic translator. Are you asking if it the phone company's service department will fix it? If so, not at all - it's been almost a year since i've had it.

I haven't disassembled it yet - haven't actually found directions on how to do it. Right now, the poor Treo is sicker than ever. Before, if I took out the battery, it would turn on in unlocked mode. I could use the touch screen to dial a number, which would then turn the phone on. Now, it keeps searching for the network and the phone portion doesn't turn on at all. The touchscreen still seems to work. The almost random periods when the application buttons would work seem to have stopped. The keyboard has never worked at all since this problem started.

Any ideas, anyone? Feeling quite desperate since it turns out I'm not eligible for an upgrade until July!!!
    So did you try the hard rest yet?and is it a gsm phone (has a sim card)?
  14.    #14  
    It's not gsm (sim). It's from Verizon.

When I did the hard reset, I was able to used the 5-way to select Yes to erase all data. Then, when it asks me to pick a language for the phone, the 5-way is not working and I can't! So, now, it's stuck at this point.

Update - I'm trying to figure out how to do a Zero-out reset. Since everyone in my house is asleep, it's not working. I keep getting the boot load screen. The good news is during one of those attempts, it did get past the language and the Z key.
    Are you eligible for a replacement through Verizon's insurance? If the baby drooled into the Treo, they won't replace the device for water damage... But, if she might have dropped it...
  16.    #16  
    I'm tremendously bad at losing things, and after two replacements, my insurance ended :-(

Roxy
    Im having basically the same problem. Mine got a little wet and now the keyboard has stopped working. The center button on the directional keypad works and the end key works when you need to unlock it, but it doesnt work any other time. Ive done a hard reset and nothing has changed. Its also dried out for almost a week now so there shouldnt be any more condensation in there. Any other ides or any apps out there I can use to byspass the keyboard and be able to navigate everything with just the touchscreen?
    When ever I've had problems like these it always turned out to be a stuck key . I would get a qTip and some lighter fluid or alcohol and scrub around the buttons real good Do some piano runs up and down and around then reset
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I had a faulty keyboard. Try taking it to bits- fixed mine. It really is easy to dismantle the Treo 650- so long as you have the right size tool and a credit card to split the casing open. In my case I just filed a flat screw driver to size.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  20.    #20  
    Hicks,

where can you buy the little star shaped tool?

Thanks,
    Roxy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast