1.    #1  
    My wife's contract expires in 2 weeks, on T-Mobile. She has an unlocked, unbranded 650. My first old 650, handed down to her.

However you choose to define a power user, my wife ain't one. She treats her 650 as a phone with a calendar and phone book attached to it. But it's useful and makes her life easier.

Well, let me take that back. By carrying a 650 my wife is in the forefront of power users in her cohort. She was also an early adopter amongst her peers. (Her cohort = moms with elementary school-age kids, always on the run. Treos are slowly infiltrating the market. Palm could/will make a mint with these customers if they do it right).

You get the idea.

So, all you 700p users. Here's the user -- little or no 3rd party software (unless I can persuade her to use it); no bluetooth thingee; no music; no email; no games. Just stock.

Is the 700p a good machine for such a person?

And if I buy her a 700p should I enroll us in marriage counselling immediately?

ps: I know what Merlyn_3D would say. ("Antichrist! Mark of the beast! They should have numbered that phone 666!") (Sorry, Merlyn_3D).
    so, she doesn't use Blazer?
    she doesn't listen to MP3s?
    she won't be sending SMS using a Verizon 700P? (I'm assuming she's moving to Sprint as you did)

If so, then it's a good phone, I didn't have any problems save for the above (I don't use BT).

She'll be good, at least until she finds out about the 755p
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Tastypeppers,
    My wife would be considered the upper end of non power user. she uses hers for IM via sms and pic messaging. She never listens to .mp3's or check her email and doesn't have data. She refers to her stylis which is pink, as her hidden lipgloss holder. (Wish I had the tools to make one, it would be worth a mint!) and sometimes sends a pic of a purse or shoe to her girlfriends. She doesn't use bluetooth cause the pink h500 headset "is to staticy".

All of that and she loves it. it is her "Palm Pilot, Picture phone with hidden lipstick holder " and most of the IT guys she works with shake their head when her phone rings a tone managed by Lightwav(when it works) that I have set up for with the only other app being dialbyphoto.

I say get her one, let her be happy....
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Perhaps it's a bit of an overkill, but definitely if anything can be said about the 700p that is good is that the barebones features do work pretty nice. Calendar, contacts, notes and the phone app seem to play nicely. It is Blazer and Versamail that make all the trouble, but if the wife is not to play with those then you are safe getting her a 700p.

Of course, there are other sleek sexy phones out there that can make it better than the 700p just on the phone side... but we all know who is really going to enjoy having the phone and the wife with the phone
    Save some money and get her the moto Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    My wife's contract expires in 2 weeks, on T-Mobile. She has an unlocked, unbranded 650. My first old 650, handed down to her.

However you choose to define a power user, my wife ain't one. She treats her 650 as a phone with a calendar and phone book attached to it. But it's useful and makes her life easier.

Well, let me take that back. By carrying a 650 my wife is in the forefront of power users in her cohort. She was also an early adopter amongst her peers. (Her cohort = moms with elementary school-age kids, always on the run. Treos are slowly infiltrating the market. Palm could/will make a mint with these customers if they do it right).

You get the idea.

So, all you 700p users. Here's the user -- little or no 3rd party software (unless I can persuade her to use it); no bluetooth thingee; no music; no email; no games. Just stock.

Is the 700p a good machine for such a person?

And if I buy her a 700p should I enroll us in marriage counselling immediately?

ps: I know what Merlyn_3D would say. ("Antichrist! Mark of the beast! They should have numbered that phone 666!") (Sorry, Merlyn_3D).

Slam dunk Tasty. No Bluetooth and no Web? The 700P then has no issues. The issues are with Bluetooth and the lag into and out of Browser. . . and these are supposed to be addressed with the ROM update.

However, the major advantage of the 700P over the 650 is EVDO speed and memory. . . . it appears that she will not be taking advantage of these . . . so why not stay with the 650?

If she is moving to Sprint . . . . wait a month and look at the 755p. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/30/2007 at 08:36 PM.
  7.    #7  
    The main reason to go 700p is not the phone. It is the minutes. I would get her a SERO account that would be more minutes for less moohah. Plus the calls between us wouldn't count.

Other than that the 650 is fine. I might whine at T-Mobile and see what they can do to match the $50/month SERO plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    The main reason to go 700p is not the phone. It is the minutes. I would get her a SERO account that would be more minutes for less moohah. Plus the calls between us wouldn't count.

Other than that the 650 is fine. I might whine at T-Mobile and see what they can do to match the $50/month SERO plan.

I thought being on the same carrier with Sprint rates might be the draw. . . . . . . . I would still wait the 2 to 3 weeks to see what enhancements the 755P might have over the 700P . . . .unless the 755P cannot be had thru SERO or the price gap is too large. However, I got SERO rates and a 700P (when it was not being offered by SERO) by talking with retentions. I had the SERO referral, was out of contract and wanted to keep my same number . . . and retentions made it happen and gave me the the 700P at a significant discount. . . . . you might be able to wrangle the same deal for a 755P, if that becomes the phone of choice for you two.