1.    #1  
    Hello all.

Just got a 650 for my bday (upgraded from 600). Just wonderig what tips and tricks or any advice you guys may have for me.

I was reading some stuff like ROM changing or something like that.

Anything would help. thanks in advance.

ed
    First of all, welcome to TC! I hope you're a "newbie" and not really a "newdie"

There's a lot of info on here, especially about the 650. You may want to be more specific about what you want to do with your 650 if you want advice on what direction you should go. Custom ROMs aren't for the faint of heart, so read a lot before jumping into it. Other than that...have fun with your new "toy"
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    First of all, welcome to TC! I hope you're a "newbie" and not really a "newdie"

There's a lot of info on here, especially about the 650. You may want to be more specific about what you want to do with your 650 if you want advice on what direction you should go. Custom ROMs aren't for the faint of heart, so read a lot before jumping into it. Other than that...have fun with your new "toy"

a few things i want to do are like play videos, mp3's, mp3 ringtones, any good camera apps. basically the usual multimedia perks on this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by speshulED View Post
    a few things i want to do are like play videos, mp3's, mp3 ringtones, any good camera apps. basically the usual multimedia perks on this phone.
    First, to use the media on the Treo you'll have to get an SD card. The Treo can't read MP3 format natively. All the media will have to be put on a card. With what you want to do, the bigger the better. You can modify the 650 to read up to an 8gb card. But, that entails the custom ROM stuff.

Well, to play videos you will have to compress them to a format that the Treo can read. You can use FairUse Wizard, CloneDVD, PocketDVD ect...

To watch them you can use TCPMP or Kinoma...

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-651.html TCPMP (free)

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-459.html Kinoma

For MP3s you have RealPlayer on the 650 or you could buy PocketTunes. TCPMP plays them, but not in background mode.

For MP3 ringtones, you can use MiniTones to trim them and export them to your Sounds app from your SD card.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1053.html

That should keep you busy for awhile...
    <title changed>
    Please use meaningful titles,

thanks....
    welcome to the forums.
    If you are not aware of 3rd party apps, some software that I love is zlauncher, volumecare, phone technician, and my new favorite, dialbyphoto.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    welcome to the forums.
    If you are not aware of 3rd party apps, some software that I love is zlauncher, volumecare, phone technician, and my new favorite, dialbyphoto.

what do these apps do?

what are some trick stuff that people do with their treos?
    Why don't you look them up? You'll find all the apps have different uses that may or may not suit your particular needs...
    ZLAUNCHER- allows you to run apps from a memory card and customize the user interface.

Volumecare- helps with the volume of phone calls.

Dialbyphoto- add on to phone app that lets you do what it says.

Phonetechnician- allows use of mp3's for ringtones, easier to use three way calling, etc.

backupman/ backupbuddy- most useful software you can buy- backs up your data at specified intervals.