1.    #1  
    The earpiece/headphone jack in my 700P is a bit "off" internally: while not physically loose, it sometimes doesn't "know" when I've unplugged my earpiece, and thus keeps the phone's microphone cut off until I quickly plug in and unplug the earpiece a few times. While this could pretty obviously be fixed by a Verizon tech if he just had some jacks in stock, they're instead going through the expense of FedExing me (three-day, not overnight) a refurbished phone and providing a free FedEx return box. This seems awfully inefficient to me, but perhaps they don't trust the in-store Verizon techs to open up the phone and solder in a new jack.

I'll be curious to see the build date of my new phone; the one I have now dates back to last June, so I'm guessing I'll at least get a newer phone.
    how did you figure out the build date of your phone?

Thanks
  3.    #3  
    "how did you figure out the build date of your phone?"

Good question. I assumed that under the battery would be a build date, next to the serial number. However, I just checked, and there is none! So, I guess the answer is that unless there's some kind of code built into the serial number and we can get a guide to it, there's no way to tell.
    On a Sprint 700P . . . . dialing ##786# gives you phone info . . . .

There is a Warranty Date line. . .that may be the build date . . . . . as it is 1 month earlier than my actual purchase date.

Cheers, Perry.
    i have the same problem with my 700p occasionally but I haven't wanted to risk getting an even worse phone that has even more problems, as I've been pretty lucky with this one.
    I feel ya! I had like 12 650's over the course of a year and a half and haven't had to replace my 700P even once since I got it in Dec.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
  7.    #7  
    "i have the same problem with my 700p occasionally but I haven't wanted to risk getting an even worse phone that has even more problems, as I've been pretty lucky with this one."

LOL... Believe me, that thought/fear has occurred to me, as this is my third one! However, my first two phones were very early production models (I got them last May and June, respectively), so I'm hoping that anything the factory sends out at this point-- even a refurb-- won't have the horrible issues those did which, it was rumored at the time, were supposedly caused by a defective batch of ROM chips.
    What Dragonman and rsdmems wrote just made me think of something. Wouldn't the providers (sprint/verizon etc.) be DEMANDING an update of some sort from palm after a phone had to be replaced 12 times! I know that was the 650 but I know plenty of people who had their 700 replaced more than 3 times.
  9.    #9  
    "Wouldn't the providers (sprint/verizon etc.) be DEMANDING an update of some sort from palm after a phone had to be replaced 12 times!"

From a customer service (i.e., "good will") standpoint: yes, absolutely.

From a "Verizon profitability standpoint", though, you never know. It depends how much Palm has to reimburse Verizon for Verizon's expenses for facilitating these kind of warranty claims; it could even be a small profit center for Verizon (though I doubt it's worth the long-term customer ill will from having such a problematic phone).