1.    #1  
    I have a treo 650 with sprint service. Will I be able to get data/email access in Edmonton, Canada?

I searched the threads but was unable to find the answer.

I called sprint and they say yes, but I don't particularly trust them to know anything about anything.

Thanks.
    Last edited by algeoff; 04/27/2007 at 10:24 AM.
    The two CDMA carriers in Canada Telus and Bell Mobility offer data services so if Sprint has an agreement with either of them, I would think that you should be able to get data services in Edmonton. What Sprint will charge, however is up to them.

Hopefully someone else will come with a better answer.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    You can't, not with a Treo 650. Sprint does allow data roaming in Canada for $.002/kb if you call to have international data roaming activated on your account for certain devices. However the only Treos that support this are the 700p and 700wx. I assume the 755p will support it as well. You can't use data roaming in Canada with the 650.

Check here for more info: http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...c=wirelessData
  4.    #4  
    letsgoflyers81, have you actually tried it? I know what the website says, but 2 different people at Sprint told me it would work.

I guess I am looking for confirmation from someone who has a sprint treo 650 who has taken the phone to Canada and tried it.

Thanks.
    I haven't bothered to get international data roaming added to my plan yet. My wife's from Montreal so we go up there several times a year and our 650's have never gotten data roaming. Maybe I'll get it added since we're heading up in a couple weeks and I can see what happens.
    I was in canada a couple of months ago. I have a sprint 650. Phone only worked roaming. Also couldnt check emails or surf the net.
  7.    #7  
    Strange, since 3 different people at sprint told me it would work. myblackz28, where were you?

I called to have the international roaming activated and they said I would not need it.
    I was in Montreal. The phone had no service whatsoever. Then I figured out my roaming was off on the phone. Once I turned that on it was fine. i didnt use the phone that much when I was there as it is very expensive for a phone call. I dont rememebr how much exactly. Maybe 60 cents a minute? Couldnt access email or web. Phone said that doesnt work when in roaming mode.
    Has anyone tried this with a Verizon 650? I need to do that in Edmonton as well, as it happens. I recall being told I'd need an international data plan from Verizon, but has anyone tried it?
    The Treo 650 has data roaming disabled in the phone firmware. There is no way to get data access while roaming unless you modify the PRL to make the phone think every SID is Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarmanDX View Post
    The Treo 650 has data roaming disabled in the phone firmware. There is no way to get data access while roaming unless you modify the PRL to make the phone think every SID is Sprint.
    this is absolutely correct. You cannot data roam on 650.
    While I have never tried it in Edmonton, I use my 650 all over North America and the world. I am on Rogers and it works fine. (Expensive roaming outside of Canada)
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimepalm View Post
    While I have never tried it in Edmonton, I use my 650 all over North America and the world. I am on Rogers and it works fine. (Expensive roaming outside of Canada)
    The OP is on Sprint and you're on Rogers. Every carrier is going to have their own rules about voice and data roaming. Until EVDO, Sprint didn't have much (if any) data roaming. From my experience, GSM carriers have traditionally been more open to this than CDMA carriers. For instance, the Sprint Treo 650 itself has data roaming disabled.
    GSM users can seamlessly roam onto Rogers with data service. This can be dangerous! I got a $32 bill for 400KB of data usage over 2 days when I forgot to shut off my email client during a visit to Vancouver.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    GSM users can seamlessly roam onto Rogers with data service. This can be dangerous! I got a $32 bill for 400KB of data usage over 2 days when I forgot to shut off my email client during a visit to Vancouver.
    Yeah, I found out testing data on a new 650 once, while back now. But after a couple of tests to weather.com and other nifty info sites. I saw the kb clocking through and did some math @ $.05/KB . I scared my self and called Rogers. They said to wait for the bill and call them back. God, I had clocking in 2GB and got nothing out of it. I was shaking when I call back. Need to take out a bank loan. The oblidged as it was my first time with data and reversed it. Very good customer relation people, most of them anyway and that a Plus for them. But the problem is unless you can afford the data plan unlimited. Data or email is not affordable for the average guy/gal. I just use text message which is real easy to read and send from the Treo.

Data is not affordable. Got to really justify it and write it off for a business expense or something even then as small business could just use regular alternatives.
    Was able to Data Roam on my 700p from Sprint in Toronto without problems. Will let you know charges once they post.