Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just received a reply from Landware that they will release the Pocket Quicken 2.0 product in May. This version supposedly had many new features. In an interview with Brighthand they mention some new features:

http://www.brighthand.com/html/featu...re2_page2.html

Clinton: One of primary new features is the ability to download historical transactions from the desktop. People have been asking for that for ages. The reason you didn't see it until now was the inherent architectural limitations of the desktop product didn't allow us to provide it seamlessly. A lot of users will be pleased to hear that we now have Pocket Quicken 2.0 beta running here with over 6,000 transactions downloaded from the desktop. It features a whole lot of new stuff including: support for unlimited accounts, hidden accounts, current balances, improved UI, full use of colour, integrated calculator, foreign currencies, better split support, budgeting. It's a much richer product and If I do say so myself, Quicken users will be blown away by the new version.

Here's the reply to my email:

Thank you for your interest in LandWare. Pocket Quicken 2.0 is now under extensive testing. LandWare is working very hard to release the program in late May. Specific features or costs have not been announced yet, but will be posted on our site when available. All registered users of version 1.x are entitled to a special upgrade price of $14.95.

LandWare, Inc.
    David Porfido
    Technical Support
    support@landware.com
    www.landware.com

Voice: 201 261 7944
    Fax: 201 261 7949

At 02:32 PM 4/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:
    Is PQ 2.0 going to be released soon? Will it still cost $40? Is there an upgrade path should I purchase the v1.01 version now? I am thinking about purchasing the PQ 2.0, but I might go with another product if it is not going to be released for a while.

This might be a killer app for me!
    <><
  2.    #2  
    Anyone think that they might upgrade to this new version of Pocket Quicken?
    <><
    Nope. I have been having some problems with my Quicken 98 and I think that it's time I sold out to the man (Mr. Gates, that is). I'll be shelling out the bucks to switch to MS Money and Ultrasoft Money in the next few weeks. The synchronization is top-notch.
    Not if there is a cost... The old version does enough to be useful. If I were going to upgrade, I would first review what other alternatives there are before paying more money to Landware.
    Yes, I'll probably upgrade.

I'm running 2001 and would like to utilize the history option.

I do think there are better apps out there. That do budget tracking etc. I just prefer to stick with Quicken.
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin
    Oh my...!

That would be sweet. I am always forgetting to inout ATM withdrawals and misc expenses. If I had this then my problems would be over.
    Originally posted by LanMan
    Anyone think that they might upgrade to this new version of Pocket Quicken?
    If the upgrade is like $14.95 ($15) or less, then I probably will upgrade. If the upgrade is like $39.95 ($40), then I will probably not upgrade. The current version meets my needs very well; it just has some annoyances/weaknesses that look like they may be fixed in the next version.
  8.    #8  
    According to Landware: "All registered users of version 1.x are entitled to a special upgrade price of $14.95."

So there is an upgrade path for v1.x users.
    <><
  9.    #9  
    Travis, they list budgeting as a feature in the new PQ 2.0. That's a hot point for me too.
    <><
    Can anyone who is using PQ please post their experiences?

I am buying Quicken 2001 today and would like to increase my functionality into my Prism.

thanks in advance
    Can you carry multiple accounts on PQ? Can you budget and reconcile and sync the reconciled account to your office pc?Can you sync the same files to both an office and home computer? Can you download your credit card transactions from the Internet to your Visor as in Quicken 2000? So many questions. . .
  12.    #12  
    PQ v1.1 allows you to bring 15 accounts from the desktop to your PDA. I don't know if you can reconcile on the PDA. The entire PQ manual is available @landware.com, and you can download a trial version.

Landware isn't talking about the PQ v2.0 release other than the blurb from Brighthand. So I guess we will just have to wait until May to see what new features are included. But I did see budgeting, unlimited accounts, the desktop registers, and I would assume reconciliation.
    <><
    PQ2 seems to have budgeting, and I haven't run into any problems with it. But I have yet to find anything on Reconciliation from the PDA. I believe the mind set is "Pocket" like the windows CE stuff. Pocket Excel, etc. It does many of the functions of the desktop, but is not meant to replace the desktop.

So far everything works great and I plan on springing for the $15 or whatever (within reason) it cost to upgrade.
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin
  14.    #14  
    Travis, do you have a copy of PQ2? If so, where did you get it? I didn't think it was released yet. Are you a beta tester?
    <><
    You got it in 1.
    I'm doing beta test on it. So I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be saying anything or not. But since it's all good stuff I suppose it's no big deal.

PQ2 just seems to be better than 1.1

I'll let you know if I hear anything else.
    Anyone heard anything about the status of the release of PQ 2.0? My demo version of PQ 1.x is almost up and I don't really want to shell out the $40 only to have to pay an additional $15 for the upgrade in a week.
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by LanMan

Here's the reply to my email:

Thank you for your interest in LandWare. Pocket Quicken 2.0 is now under extensive testing. LandWare is working very hard to release the program in late May.

LandWare, Inc.
    David Porfido
    Technical Support
    support@landware.com
    www.landware.com

The email that I received said "late May".
    <><
    Had I read your initial post more thoroughly, I would have noticed that. Thanks for reposting - sorry for the bother!
  19.    #19  
    MoKoni, it was no bother at all.

Landware just informed me that they are "looking into" supporting the HandEra 330 units hi-res fonts, and landscape mode in PQ2.

Landware email reply:

Thank you for your interest in LandWare. Yes, we are looking into supporting this new & exciting device in our next release of Pocket Quicken.

LandWare, Inc.
    Technical Support
    http://www.landware.com
    support@landware.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 08:24 AM 5/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
    Does Landware intend to build support for the new HandEra 330 Palm unit into PQ 2.0? The HandEra units hi-res fonts, and landscape mode would seem a perfect fit for PQ 2.0. I noticed that Bluenomad has already built support into their WordSmith and QuickBudget software and was wondering if you were going to as well. Any update on the release date of PQ2?

Thanks
    <><
  20.    #20  
    Lots of new features!

http://www.landware.com/pocketquicken/tour20/index.html

Pocket Quicken is a true mobile companion to Quicken; No longer are you tied to the desktop to keep your financial information complete, accurate and organized.

It's easy to get started too with a single press of the HotSync button Pocket Quicken seamlessly transfers your Quicken information to your handheld; Full account details, transactions, categories, classes, currencies and memorized payees are all available at your fingertips. There is almost nothing new to learn, so you'll be up and running in minutes.

Financial clarity with a single tap

Pocket Quicken's account list provides a succinct overview of your financial situation. Not only will it show you your bottom line, but also the transactions that got you there. It even alerts you to overdrawn accounts.

The account list is flexible allowing you to sort by preferred accounts, account names or types. Two taps provides an instant report of your credit card balances, assets, liabilities, investments, cash in hand and more.

There is no limit to the number and type of accounts you can track on your handheld.

Pocket Quicken provides convenient access to your important account information such as contact names, phone numbers, notes, credit limits, ending and current balances.

If you own a PalmOS Smartphone, Pocket Quicken can also place you in touch with your bank manager.

Pocket Quicken 2.0 transfers transactions to and from the desktop without the need for complicated import procedures or knowledge of QIF files. Data transfer is simple, fast and reliable; No other handheld application offers this level of connectivity to Quicken.

Special attention has been paid to minimizing the space required by transactions stored on your handheld. As a result, Pocket Quicken can quickly access many years of financial activity using a fractional amount of your handheld's available memory.

The monthly receipt typing chore is now a thing of the past Pocket Quicken utilizes Quicken's QuickFill and Memorized payee list to record day-to-day transactions with as little as two strokes of the stylus. Just start writing the Payee's name and a new transaction is automatically created with all the details filled out. It's that simple.

You can easily assign up to ten categories or transfers per transaction. Enter the category, amount and optional memo directly. Pocket Quicken will alert you to make any adjustments if needed. The split editor supports autofill, account transfers and debits.

Pocket Quicken's built-in calculator facilitates those on-the-fly calculations.

Stay in touch with your spending

One of Pocket Quicken 2.0's most compelling new features is its ability to use transactions to maintain budgets.

Pocket Quicken's budgeting feature provides a quick and easy way to track how much you've spent on different items. You will always know where your money goes and how much you have left to spend.

With a couple stylus taps Pocket Quicken will compare income and expenses on a weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly basis to help you stick to a spending plan.

Organize your finances, track your expenses

Pocket Quicken ensures your finances are organized from day one by quickly categorizing transactions at the time of entry. AutoFill and popup lists make it quick and easy to enter information and there is no double entry required at the desktop.

Categories make it easy to manage your spending and income directly on the handheld using Pocket Quicken's budgeting feature. Classes transferred from Quicken are a great way to track and organize business expenses by trip, client, job, etc.

Foreign currency support

New to 2.0 is the ability to maintain accounts and transactions in foreign currencies. Pocket Quicken allows you to record a hotel bill paid in Swiss Francs or gifts purchased in New Zealand dollars with your American credit card and automatically takes care of the currency conversion for you.

Pocket Quicken conveniently places the original amount in the memo field for future reference.

An extensive list of currencies (including rates, shortcut keys, etc) is downloaded from Quicken. Pocket Quicken automatically maintains the home currency and the currency type for each individual account.

Pocket Quicken 2.0 is Coming Soon

Pocket Quicken 2.0 for PalmOS will be available via electronic download in early June, 2001 for the Windows platform.

All Pocket Quicken 1.0 purchases made after May 15, 2001 qualify for a free upgrade to Pocket Quicken 2.0

Special upgrade pricing will be available for registered owners of Pocket Quicken 1.0.

Macintosh support will be added in the 3rd Quarter of 2001.

Stay tuned.
    <><
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast