1.    #1  
    Hi,

is the 680 without camera just a rumor?

If you google after it you'll find always the same ticker news. No device is available in any palm store (I asked the palm europe guys directly and they answered "no treo 680 without camera in Europe")

Is there any chance to get such a device (if it exists) in Europe without a business contract from one of the US carriers?

Many thanks in advance

Regards
    Umbi
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    try eBay? Or try calling Palms US store and buy one there, but they might not want to sent it to europa, so next time you are in US then have it shipped to your hotel.
    Here is a Brighthand article describing the cameraless phone:

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12831

and here is the Palm website linke (look at footnote 6):

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...ultimedia.html

I would email Palm sales directly and ask them how to purchase one. It seems that they should be available either locked or unlocked if the article is correct.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I've got one! Bought it on ebay. I didn't read the ad closely. lol
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Actually, I just received mine this week. I went through the business center folks. Same price. Cellular providers want you to buy the cameraphone versions so you send lots of data rich pictures. More data, more money for them. My job does not allow cameraphones so the non-camera 680 was perfect for me.
    When I bought my initial Graphite 680 from Cingular...the Business Services rep offered me the choice between a Treo with a camera or a cameraless model. For some reason, I chose the one with the camera...not knowing about the camera issue that required a patch to correct.

When I called to get my Crimson model...I was never offered the choice.
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich View Post
    I've got one! Bought it on ebay. I didn't read the ad closely. lol
    :-)
    I haven't seen one on ebay the last 4 weeks i've been checking regularly.

How will I get to connect with the business center guys from abroad. I can't seem to call a 1-800-number, so I need a different approach.

Many thanks to everybody who replied!

Regards
    Umbi
    Quote Originally Posted by umberto View Post
    :-)
    I haven't seen one on ebay the last 4 weeks i've been checking regularly.

How will I get to connect with the business center guys from abroad. I can't seem to call a 1-800-number, so I need a different approach.

Many thanks to everybody who replied!

Regards
    Umbi
    Mine is in mint condition-Cingular unlocked. I'm happy to swap it out for a graphite unlocked one with a camera in mint condition.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    You can get the cameraless phones on military discount pages for Cingular. They are the same price. They sell them to the miltary because there many rooms and buildings that you can not enter with a camera. They have such a big market in the miltary so they made the camerless units.
    why would someone need a cameraless phone?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpan View Post
    why would someone need a cameraless phone?
    Simple. My employer won't let me in if I carry a camera phone for security reasons.

Regards
    Umbi
    What's wrong with a piece of Wrigleys or a hammer+screwdriver combo to the cam slot?
    Patrick Horne
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    What's wrong with a piece of Wrigleys or a hammer+screwdriver combo to the cam slot?
    There are companies where the security guys destroy the camera and clear the phone with a sticker for internal usage (my wife has a treo 600 that is treated that way) but my company doesn't do that.

Regards
    Umbi

P.S. I'd rather not mention that nobody at security checks for USB-sticks and other stuff that allows smuggling of all kind of data...