Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So after all, the Palm Blog is taking shape as a place to establish communication between us consumers and they, manufacturers:

Steve Sinclair updates and responds to lag/stability/BT questions in the Palm blog (scroll down a bit and you'll see his latest entry)

Interesting response in several ways:

Lag: His response to lag is once again a total cop-out. Subjective the lag experience may be yes, but if one takes as a reference the 600/650 Treos, there is a somewhat more significant way to "measure" this subjective metric; and it is clear for us who had those previous Treos that the 700p took a big step backwards in this regard.

Stability: I totally agree with him (for once, that's a first! ) Each and every one of us installs different stuff. But the matter is that today, the resets/crashes I get, 80% are caused by Palm's own apps, not 3rd party stuff. If the MR fixes those crashes I can live with the other 20%, it is the gambit I am willing to take when I install stuff on my Treo.

BT: Mentioning that the BT fix is focused only on pairing stability tells me this is just a fix, is not a BT stack upgrade that many had been asking for. No A2DP support, no 680 BT stack; just a more solid implementation of the BT standard to keep headsets paired. Let's see if that holds true if only with Palm's own line of headsets

I doubt the 700p will get any newbies with this MR. No SDHC support or other fancies. Let's face it, this thing is EOl'ing May, Palm will shift focus on the 755p no matter what. That week of May 28th is still a ways away...
    I am hopeful for A2DP. I think with trouble SAG is having with call switching could explain why patching the BT ended up a MR due to interference with the phone app.

I can hope... can't I?
    I don't think he copped-out on the lag issue. It's valid to say that they can't necessarily say that all of the lag issues are fixed, since some of those issues could be caused by 3rd party apps. At least he addressed a few things like going to the phone app, the SMS problems, and the lag caused when launching the browser. We'll just have to wait and see.
    My main concerns are:

1) Lag - and it ain't just in the areas he mentioned. The longest lag cuplrit is going back and forth from the browser yes, but I get MORE freezes/pauses elsewhere.

2) Frequent crashes trying to use the danged phone. It seems that 20-30% of the time I receive a call the phone resets! Yes, sometimes this occurs due to DialByPhoto, but just as often it occurs in the default phone app!

I think too often they use the "3rd party app issue" as a cop out. Whether that is the case here or not I can't say (I DO HAVE TONS of 3rd party apps I will admit).

But what infuriates me the most is that they are EOL'ing a phone before any fixes are even available for it! Say the release the MR and other issues remain or are CREATED by the MR. What do you think the odds are that Palm will actually release any ADDITIONAL fixes after this one. Can you say "ZILCH"?!

Lifetime Palm user here who has pretty much lost patience... Here's to hoping there are some more viable (and stable) smartphone options available come time to upgrade next August...

HG...
    I hope it includes support for bluetooth phonebook and name dialing supposed by my car kit.

For me, everytime I open Blazer it crashes, hope that it fixed aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I hope it includes support for bluetooth phonebook and name dialing supposed by my car kit.

For me, everytime I open Blazer it crashes, hope that it fixed aswell.
    Do a hard reset...
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    My main concerns are:

1) Lag - and it ain't just in the areas he mentioned. The longest lag cuplrit is going back and forth from the browser yes, but I get MORE freezes/pauses elsewhere.

2) Frequent crashes trying to use the danged phone. It seems that 20-30% of the time I receive a call the phone resets! Yes, sometimes this occurs due to DialByPhoto, but just as often it occurs in the default phone app!

I think too often they use the "3rd party app issue" as a cop out. Whether that is the case here or not I can't say (I DO HAVE TONS of 3rd party apps I will admit).

But what infuriates me the most is that they are EOL'ing a phone before any fixes are even available for it! Say the release the MR and other issues remain or are CREATED by the MR. What do you think the odds are that Palm will actually release any ADDITIONAL fixes after this one. Can you say "ZILCH"?!

Lifetime Palm user here who has pretty much lost patience... Here's to hoping there are some more viable (and stable) smartphone options available come time to upgrade next August...

HG...
    I read his response to the lag issue as follows.....

It seems there may be hardware issues behind the difference in file system access speed between the Treo 650 and the 700. Some of these issues probably cannot be corrected and are inherent to the platform. What they are doing is optimizing the built in apps (for example the phone) to eliminate the lag or make it less apparent. System performance in general will probably remain about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Do a hard reset...
    Didn't work
    I just remembered I had dream last night wherein a Sprint tech loaded the beta update on my phone in-store. All I could think about was if I would be the first to post it here and how much buzz it would get. Thus my yearning for a ROM update has reached the "Sadly pathetic" stage.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    I read his response to the lag issue as follows.....

It seems there may be hardware issues behind the difference in file system access speed between the Treo 650 and the 700. Some of these issues probably cannot be corrected and are inherent to the platform. What they are doing is optimizing the built in apps (for example the phone) to eliminate the lag or make it less apparent. System performance in general will probably remain about the same.
    I read it the same way. Which also makes me think the 755 will have the same problems as the 700p.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Didn't work

Hahaha! This got my goat! "Try a hard reset" answered by "didn't work"! Now we can't even hard-reset the thing! Of course, I'm just reading into this differently
    Didn't work
    I concur. I get the same issue (reset when starting blazer) after using OnDemand - large database. Similarly, on occasion after using Avantgo - another large database. I'm guessing a cache conflict. I might try RescoLock but haven't gotten around to it.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Have y'all had yours replaced that have crashes when using Blazer? That sounds like a problem maybe just with a select few phones, maybe a hardware issue. I've had my 700p for a few months now, and use it rather frequently, and it's been mostly stable. I have not, though, had any problems using Blazer. Although, today it would freeze up sometimes, but I think that was because the data in the area I was in wasn't working right. After I left town, everything started working again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    I concur. I get the same issue (reset when starting blazer) after using OnDemand - large database. Similarly, on occasion after using Avantgo - another large database. I'm guessing a cache conflict. I might try RescoLock but haven't gotten around to it.
    Yes, usually happens when I use an app with large cache