Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Found this while browsing other forums:

I do not know many people who find the current [SMARTPHONE MODEL] tolerable. Let's face it, anyone who gets it wants features. The software is flakey and the ptt feature that was promised has not arrived. [CARRIER] is so out of touch with customers on this product. They want you to get frustrated and upgrade to a new phone.

I just want you to fix bugs and keep the software in the phone working. There seems to be no pressure or urgency to release more upgrades.

You guys are out of touch with your customers - please listen.

Thanks.

Now, if one is to substitute the bracketed words with 700p and Verizon/Sprint/Palm anyone would assume this is a typical entry for a 700p forum... but I assure you is not! here's the real source:

The world of smartphones is a buggy one

Ain't that a surprise? We are not alone in the world, other carriers/device manufacturers are letting users experience the same frustrations we have...

In my old country we have one saying that goes "the suffering of the many is the consolation of the few"... maybe it applies here too...
    Get a Blackberry. Pure stability bliss.

Yeah, it's pretty smart too.
    It's funny to see all these "Get a BlackBerry" posts. It's a treo forum. Plus, polls will show a vast majority of people, including myself, are very satisfied with our Treos.

A lot of these "I'm tired of my Treo" posts would be more benefitial to the user base if you

1. Explain what is the source of your frustration.

"Constant resets" is not a very good source. When does it reset? What particular programs? A statement like "the dreaded txt msg lockup" is a good example

2. Expalin what mission you want your Treo to fulfill.

I personally got the Treo to keep track of my appointments. I have a lot of friends I like to keep in touch on a regular basis. Before, I would sometimes go weeks onto months without even sitting down and having a lunch with a good friend. I sometimes even neglect to call a certain person for a whole week. I'm grateful that these people still consider me a friend. Writing down all my appointments and keeping track of how often I call certain people is one of the main missions of my Treo

3. Be very specific

Generally, most of us will have a feature or tool we wish our Treo had. When you are graphically specific about how a new program has helped our life, it may ring a bell in another's dream. For example, until recently, I had no idea Zlauncher had a menu showing your last few recent apps that you just used. Even better, you can define a list of favorite apps and assign them to a button. Before, I was in a bind as I wanted to put the camera to a button but I was out of hardkeys (the side button is bound to pTunes). I put the camera program on the top of Zlauncher's favorites list and assigned the favorites list to the increase volume button.

Even better. Without Zlauncher I can assign the camera to a key stroke using the phone program's favorites page. I can access the camera in two key strokes.

4. Lets make our opinions useful.

It's a shame to see simple posts like "POS sucks, get WM" or "hate resets? get a Blackberry" or "Ford sucks, get a GM" -type posts. It just turns the discussion into a finger pointing, critical jumble of useless opinions. It stinks to see this community forum boil down to a simple shoutbox. It just seems there are people who just troll these forums and flame every single thread.

-end soapbox
    Quote Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
    1. Explain what is the source of your frustration.

"Constant resets" is not a very good source. When does it reset? What particular programs? A statement like "the dreaded txt msg lockup" is a good example
    Okay, let's explain this "the dreaded txt msg lockup" which has been documented to death in this thread, The Official SMS Lockup Thread.
    When you send a SMS text message from a Verizon 700P to another Verizon phone (like my wife's 650) and are in "Threaded view" with more than 40 messages in the history of the thread/chat you are sending, if you do not switch to another program BEFORE the "green checkmark" appears to say the remote recipient has received the message, the Treo 700P will stop. It won't accept any key presses, can't make or receive calls, can't switch applications, do anything. The phone is locked up, when you send a txt message. Hence the name. This lockup can last as long as 10-15 minutes if you have a long history with the person you are sending.

Replacing the phone is useless, this issue happens on a virgin 700P with nothing on it and no information hotsync'ed to it.

Oh, and personally I got the Treo 700P when Verizon swapped out my Treo 650 for a warranty repair. All I use my Treo for is calendar, SMS, phone, google maps, eReader, games, and the very rare web browsing. I've been waiting for acknowledgment from Palm and/or Verizon that this problem was real for 9 months! I've called weekly to report it, I've begged to be escalated, I've pleaded to get someone to at least try to reproduce it. I've given up, if the forthcoming Maintenance Release doesn't fix this issue, then I have no choice but to leave the Palm platform, since there is no other Palm option from Verizon.

Scott
    PS> Yes, I am thinking of leaving Airtouch/Verizon after being a customer for 11 years. I want a stable fast network with stable fast devices. I've worked at Qualcomm, and CDMA bought my house, but I've had just about enough with this phone to make me turn my back on this network and device manufacturer for good.
    Yes, this is a treo forum, but there are sub-threads (iPhone, other handhelds, etc.). Realizing this a 700p thread, my blackberry comment will instantly be looked down upon. The reason I posted is because the article was lumping 'smartphones' together, of which the BB is considered. I don't think I need to further justify my post...

BTW, the reason I read and post here is because I have been around for a while and I enjoy the discussion and members at TC. I'm not trolling to pi** anyone off, I am just adding my opinion as does everyone else.

Sorry if I made you upset, but I've been through the hell of a 650, 700, 6700, Q, and upon switching to a BB, have realized the past devices were incredibly frustrating.

Take it for what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by sck_nogas View Post
    Okay, let's explain this "the dreaded txt msg lockup" which has been documented to death in this thread, The Official SMS Lockup Thread.
    When you send a SMS text message from a Verizon 700P to another Verizon phone (like my wife's 650) and are in "Threaded view" with more than 40 messages in the history of the thread/chat you are sending, if you do not switch to another program BEFORE the "green checkmark" appears to say the remote recipient has received the message, the Treo 700P will stop. It won't accept any key presses, can't make or receive calls, can't switch applications, do anything. The phone is locked up, when you send a txt message. Hence the name. This lockup can last as long as 10-15 minutes if you have a long history with the person you are sending.

Replacing the phone is useless, this issue happens on a virgin 700P with nothing on it and no information hotsync'ed to it.

Oh, and personally I got the Treo 700P when Verizon swapped out my Treo 650 for a warranty repair. All I use my Treo for is calendar, SMS, phone, google maps, eReader, games, and the very rare web browsing. I've been waiting for acknowledgment from Palm and/or Verizon that this problem was real for 9 months! I've called weekly to report it, I've begged to be escalated, I've pleaded to get someone to at least try to reproduce it. I've given up, if the forthcoming Maintenance Release doesn't fix this issue, then I have no choice but to leave the Palm platform, since there is no other Palm option from Verizon.

Scott
    PS> Yes, I am thinking of leaving Airtouch/Verizon after being a customer for 11 years. I want a stable fast network with stable fast devices. I've worked at Qualcomm, and CDMA bought my house, but I've had just about enough with this phone to make me turn my back on this network and device manufacturer for good.
    That explains why I don't see the huge SMS lockup problem. I don't wait for the green checkmark, when I'm done sending, I'm done sending. I also don't let my threads get that long, if I'm going to say that much, I just send email.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post

what programs can I load?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post

my land line is pure "stability bliss"...doesn't mean it does what i need it to do. what does a blackberry do that a 700p can't? i get push mail with chatter..and it supports all 6 of my mailboxes instantly in the summary view. EVDO rocks.

the palm os on my phone is perfectly tailored for how i run my business...but my contract is up soon and i will love to have some options.

what else is there out there with palm os and EVDO?