1.    #1  
    So, there is a rumor or news about new HSDPA Network for US T-Mobile customers:
    "There's also one future tech it won't work with: the 1700/2100 MHz HSDPA network that's going to be deployed by T-Mobile this year."

What we going to do with our Treo 680's???
    •All Sony Clie's
    •Sony Ericsson P900
    •Sony Ericsson Z600
    •Treo650 Unlocked w/2GB SD card
    •Treo680 Unlocked (Graphite) w/8GB SD card
    Use it as it is...Just not on that frequency
    Follow Me On

Where did you hear about this new Tmobile change?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    TMob USA bought a whole bunch of 1700/2100 Mhz spectrum in a recent auction by the FCC. They plan to use it for high speed data.
    From wikipedia:
    The 3G network will be based on the UMTS/HSDPA 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz bands (which unfortunately is incompatible with European 3G frequency bands). T-Mobile grabbed up 120 bids covering 474 million people, which means they have multiple spectra covering the super-urban areas and should be launched sometime in 2007.

--
    This means that the Treo 680 will continue to use EDGE speeds. They will be radio incompatible with the new spectrum. Until we get a new Treo that has a new radio to handle this, we wont be able to use it. The 680 radio hardware is not built to handle it. Tmobile probably didnt even had this spectrum bought out when the 680 was in final stages of production. I think Tmob is more than a year away from a 3G network with most areas covered.

Edit:

From the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...cations_System

At the air interface level, UMTS itself is incompatible with GSM. UMTS phones sold in Europe (as of 2004) are UMTS/GSM dual-mode phones, hence they can also make and receive calls on regular GSM networks. If a UMTS customer travels to an area without UMTS coverage, a UMTS phone will automatically switch to GSM (roaming charges may apply). If the customer travels outside of UMTS coverage during a call, the call will be transparently handed off to available GSM coverage.

Regular GSM phones cannot be used on the UMTS networks.
    Last edited by kunjan; 04/26/2007 at 01:05 AM.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Why would T-Mobile even care about the 680? They don't sell it.
    The 680 isnt officially support for TMobile, so its 3G service won't be either supported on it.

Any devices for TMob that do will be new devices that are not even announced yet, and most probbly will have wifi too. A future Treo is possible, but given the past support of Treos by TMob, I place that in doubt mode.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The 680 isnt officially support for TMobile, so its 3G service won't be either supported on it.

Any devices for TMob that do will be new devices that are not even announced yet, and most probbly will have wifi too. A future Treo is possible, but given the past support of Treos by TMob, I place that in doubt mode.
    Tmobile seems to have good luck with HTC products. Isn't the 750 made by HTC?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."