Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I've used the Treo 600, 650, and now the 700p, but I've never done a thing with GPS so I don't know much about what to look for. All I know is that I would like one that:
    1. The receiver (and software?) can be used with other / future Treos (I may even go to the 700w or similar some day)...
    2. Will work reliably with the 700p, good on battery drain.
    3. Can fit all the US maps on a 2-4 GB SD Card (and I can transfer everything over to my own card?).

So, what software do I need? What GPS receiver do I need? Should I get a bundle? The Palm GPS Navigator 2 has high ratings here - are there others I should consider?

I'm also starting to wonder if I should consider a stand-alone GPS unit? What are the reasons for going with one on the Treo vs. a stand-alone unit? Thanks in advance,
    --Kyle
    I've used a small Globalsat receiver (335?) and TomTom with both my 650 and my 700p. I recommend both.

Do a search on this site for both of those items and you'll find a ton of information.
    I recommend doing lots of research on this. There are many threads on which receivers and softwares everyone likes.

My research brought me to buying the iblue 737 receivers with iNav iGuidance as software. I think the iblue 737 only works with WM devices.

Also, if iGuidance works for you, all the maps, except Hawaii, fit in a little over 2G of space so they easily fit on a 4G SD card (which is what I use).

heimlich
    Last edited by heimlich; 05/08/2007 at 07:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heimlich View Post
    I recommend doing lots of research on this. There are many threads on which receivers and softwares everyone likes.

My research brought me to buying the iblue 737 receivers with iNav iGuidance as software. I think the iblue 737 only works with WM devices.

Also, if iGuidance works for you, all the maps, except Hawaii, fit in a little over 2G of space so they easily fit on a 4G SD card (which is what I use).

heimlich
    What is the max SD capacity that can be handled by a 700WX?
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I use (and highly recommend) the iBlue 747 (which datalogs into its own memory) with TomTom 6 on my Sprint Treo 700p. The GPS arena moves fast though, so I'd do my research on http://gpspassion.com
    Also check into BuyGPSNow.com. They have special bunbles for Treo/Palm devices as well as WinMob PDA and smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    which datalogs into its own memory
    ...currious, what does "datalogging" do and what's it for?
    Will Google Maps on the 700p function as simple software with a BT GPS reciever, or is that only available with the 700wx?
    GoogleMaps will not communicate with a BT GPS receiver.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    GoogleMaps will not communicate with a BT GPS receiver.
    Incorrect. Both Google Maps and Microsoft Live Search work with a BT GPS (I use them both). You can't get the same level of turn-by-turn directions, but they work pretty darn good for free!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillet View Post
    Incorrect. Both Google Maps and Microsoft Live Search work with a BT GPS (I use them both). You can't get the same level of turn-by-turn directions, but they work pretty darn good for free!
    To be specific, will Goggle maps + BT Receiver + Treo 700p work together?
    I have both a RoyalTek and Globalsat 359. In a side by side comparison, the RoyalTek always sees another satellite or two, and is a few feet more accurate.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    ...currious, what does "datalogging" do and what's it for?
    Datalogging records your position into the on-board memory of the GPS unit. You can set it to record every second, every 100 meters, a combination of both or even when you press the record button on my model (iBlue 747). You can select your own combination of data points to record as well, including the date/time, the speed, the direction, the elevation, the longitude/latitude.

After a trip (e.g. a bike ride or a long hike), you download the data and can map out your exact route. If you took photos (with timestamps) along the way, you can geocode them and know exactly where you took the photos.

There is also freeware software available for the Palm (like CotoGPS) which can do the datalogging onto a memory card, but it's a little less flexible. If a phone call comes in, it'll interrupt the datalogging software. With the on-board datalogging of my unit, I can still use the phone or other software (like TomTom or PocketTunes or the internet or anything else) and not worry about an interruption of the datalogging.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillet View Post
    ... Both Google Maps and Microsoft Live Search work with a BT GPS ...
    Well, what you mean by "work" is that you can determine your location at any one time, right? But there is no way of navigating in the GPS sense of the word, that is, stay in constant touch with the GPS so that your location is constantly updated; the most you can do is insert a current location, right?

The additional problem with Google even if that were resolved, is that it only gives driving directions. The nice thing about TT is that you can get a whole variety of preferred means of transport: walking, cycling, toll roads, shortest, fastest, etc.
    ... With the on-board datalogging of my unit, I can still use the phone or other software (like TomTom or PocketTunes or the internet or anything else) and not worry about an interruption of the datalogging.

What is this "on-board datalogging" you speak of here?
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    There's a bit of confusion here. While the Win Mobile Google Maps can support GPS devices, the Palm version cannot.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    What is this "on-board datalogging" you speak of here?
    My iBlue 747 has built-in memory, so it can record data points on its own (no connection to my Treo or a PC is necessary while its recording).

Datalogging lets you record your path. Later you can download the data and plot out your route on a map like Google Earth, or if you take photos with an accurate timestamp, you can match them up with exactly where those photos were taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's a bit of confusion here. While the Win Mobile Google Maps can support GPS devices, the Palm version cannot.
    You can use a little app called "Where am I" which will take your GPS coordinates and feeds them to Google Maps on a Palm OS device. This will not give you live maps, but can be used to generate directions. I call this solution "poor mans GPS."

I use Telenav 5.0 on my Treo 680 which costs $10 per month. Their maps are updated every 3 months at no extra charge. You have to pay for upgrade on the SD-card based map programs.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    My iBlue 747 has built-in memory, so it can record data points on its own (no connection to my Treo or a PC is necessary while its recording).

Datalogging lets you record your path. Later you can download the data and plot out your route on a map like Google Earth, or if you take photos with an accurate timestamp, you can match them up with exactly where those photos were taken.
    What program(s) do you use on your Treo to work with the i-blue 747?
    Sprint
    Are there any simple (free) programs to save GPS track log data in text format on the Treo SD card?

Apparently the i-blue 747 device logs data internally but it is not able to transfer i t to the Treo (at least according to the user manual for the 747).
    Sprint
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast