Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    Are there any simple (free) programs to save GPS track log data in text format on the Treo SD card?
    I use cotoGPS (http://core.de/~coto/projects/cotogps/) on my Treo 755p with my Freedom Mini GPS BT receiver. cotoGPS is free but yet quite powerful. It supports track log data. Later this data can be converted to other formats such as a Google Earth overlays (*.kmz) via its desktop companion or www.gpsvisualizer.com.

Another option would be Navegador (http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1238.html). It's also free and supports track logging. It's just not as nice looking (in my mind).

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    I use cotoGPS (http://core.de/~coto/projects/cotogps/) on my Treo 755p with my Freedom Mini GPS BT receiver. cotoGPS is free but yet quite powerful. It supports track log data. Later this data can be converted to other formats such as a Google Earth overlays (*.kmz) via its desktop companion or www.gpsvisualizer.com.

Another option would be Navegador (http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1238.html). It's also free and supports track logging. It's just not as nice looking (in my mind).

Cheers.
    Both of these programs lack the capability to save a text file track log as far as I can tell.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    You can download the log from the iBlue747 using http://sf.net/projects/bt747 if you do a hardware hack on your iBlue (add a 1k resistor) as explained on a link pointed to by the "bt747" project wiki page.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Both of these programs lack the capability to save a text file track log as far as I can tell.
    Just curious, but what do you intend to do with the text file track log on the Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Just curious, but what do you intend to do with the text file track log on the Treo?
    I wrote a PHP program to transform the track logs from my Garmin GPS's into the format required for a program called deedmapper. It's useful for displaying tracks of where I hiked while exploring old deeds I have mapped out.
    Sprint
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I wrote a PHP program to transform the track logs from my Garmin GPS's into the format required for a program called deedmapper. It's useful for displaying tracks of where I hiked while exploring old deeds I have mapped out.
    Okay, so I guess I was confused about what you wanted. It sounded like you needed to have the track files available for manipulation directly on the Treo. Instead it now sounds like you just want to be able to get the track files off the device (whether the on-board datalogger of the i-Blue 747 or the track files generated by cotoGPS), and you can definitely do that. The files are definitely in a text file format, but Garmin apparently has their own file format, so your PHP program would probably need to be modified to handle the more standard data format used by the iBlue and most other GPS devices (the NMEA 183 protocol). There are also plenty of websites around that will do the format conversion for you, maybe even one which will translate it into the Garmin format or the deedmapper format.
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Okay, so I guess I was confused about what you wanted. It sounded like you needed to have the track files available for manipulation directly on the Treo. Instead it now sounds like you just want to be able to get the track files off the device (whether the on-board datalogger of the i-Blue 747 or the track files generated by cotoGPS), and you can definitely do that. The files are definitely in a text file format, but Garmin apparently has their own file format, so your PHP program would probably need to be modified to handle the more standard data format used by the iBlue and most other GPS devices (the NMEA 183 protocol). There are also plenty of websites around that will do the format conversion for you, maybe even one which will translate it into the Garmin format or the deedmapper format.

I have yet to figure out how to get text formatted track logs out of cotoGPS. The only file I could get from cotoGPS is a .pdb file and I have no clue what the format of it is. It is binary data.

I ordered an iBlue 747 so we'll see how that works.

A human readable format on both the Treo and later on a PC is what I'm looking for. I can't believe there is no free Palm GPS program out there that doesn't have the capability to save a track log in human readable format.
    Sprint
    The application that I indicated does work on a palm device and can write out an NMEA text file. Personnally, I write out an CSV file and then read that as text in the Document reader usually delivered a Palm device.

Other applications working on palm are:
    cotogps, cetusgps and crocotrack. But they are not specifically for the iblue 747 so they can not download the log, they can only log the real time data.
    Quote Originally Posted by le_top View Post
    The application that I indicated does work on a palm device and can write out an NMEA text file. Personnally, I write out an CSV file and then read that as text in the Document reader usually delivered a Palm device.

Other applications working on palm are:
    cotogps, cetusgps and crocotrack. But they are not specifically for the iblue 747 so they can not download the log, they can only log the real time data.
    I will see how your previously mentioned app works when I get the i-Blue 747.

cotoGPS as I mentioned before seems to have no human readable track log that I can find.

cetusGPS has no bluetooth capability. It only works with RS232 hardwired connections for older model palm pilots.

crocotrack is nowhere to be found except for a few obscure references on French websites.
    Sprint
    I found that I have a GPS app that works for my Treo 700p. I already had Delorme Street Atlas USA 2007 on my laptop. SA2007 comes with a Palm app for use with a GPS. It works quite nicely on the Treo 700p. It gives you maps with a moving pointer of where you are at in real time. Maps must be preloaded onto the SD card which is not too difficult to do. Best of all it gives you a human readable track log that can be viewed in a text editor or as a drawing on the maps on the 700p. It can do routing as well but I haven't played with that feature too much yet.
    Sprint
    General question for everyone.

Which Palm Treo GPS software do you like best for use:

1. in the car

2. when hiking
    Sprint
    General question for everyone.

Which Palm Treo GPS software do you like best for use:

1. in the car

2. when hiking
    I recommend the Garmin MobileXT gps software.

It's future proof as it now works on Palm OS, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60 & Symbian UIQ3.0.

Also they now are selling a version that comes on SD card that can work with any BT unit, unlike in the past where the BT unit provided the registration code to unlock the maps.

I use it in my car and on my bike.

If I had the Topo maps I'd use it hiking as well if I did that
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    cetusGPS: it works over bluetooth for me on my Palm Lifedrive.
    crocotrack: it is a fairly recent application written by a french guy, is still under development but does heave some interesting features already.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Hello All,

I'm new to the GPS world. I'm just started using TeveNav with a Holux M-1000 receiver. I'm looking at DeLORME Street Atlas 2008. Anyone have any insight into how well it works on the PalmOS?

Thanks!

McTreo
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    cetusGPS: it works over bluetooth for me on my Palm Lifedrive.
    crocotrack: it is a fairly recent application written by a french guy, is still under development but does heave some interesting features already.

cetusGPS and Treo 700p do not seem to work with bluetooth.

How does one get crocotrack?
    Sprint
    You can find crocotrack here:
    http://www.crocoware.info/download/cat.php?idcat=2

The web page is in French, but the SW is in English.
    You can find crocotrack here:
    http://www.crocoware.info/download/cat.php?idcat=2

The web page is in French, but the SW is in English.

crocotrack is real flakey and it has a time limited trial. They better get the software in a lot better shape if they think they are going to charge money for it.

cetusGPS looks like it would be a good program if it would be able to connect. As it is it just doesn't work.
    Sprint
    I have Tom Tom Navigator 6 loaded into my Treo 700p. I have been using a Seidio car cradle which included the GPS receiver. However, the electrical contacts have broken (again), so I am thinking about replacing the cradle with something simplier, and getting a separate bluetooth GPS receiver. Would appreciate recommendations since I want to stay with TT in the phone for the software.
    BTW, would there be any problems to using my bluetooth headset while using a bluetooth GPS receiver?
    Yes, it wouldn't work. You only have one Bluetooth, and it either goes to the GPS or the headphone, or any other Bluetooth unit, but only one.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast