Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I've used the Treo 600, 650, and now the 700p, but I've never done a thing with GPS so I don't know much about what to look for. All I know is that I would like one that:
    1. The receiver (and software?) can be used with other / future Treos (I may even go to the 700w or similar some day)...
    2. Will work reliably with the 700p.
    3. Can fit all the US maps on a 2-4 GB SD Card (and I can transfer everything over to my own card?).

    So, what software do I need? What GPS receiver do I need? Should I get a bundle? The Palm GPS Navigator 2 has high ratings here - are there others I should consider?

    I'm also starting to wonder if I should consider a stand-alone GPS unit? What are the reasons for going with one on the Treo vs. a stand-alone unit? Thanks in advance,
    --Kyle
  2. jvwong96's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #2  
    I personally use the TomTom Navigator 5 Software with a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS receiver and I couldn't be happier. It's especially handy since I travel a lot for work.

    I would recommend a 2-4 gig card, the maps should fit fine on a 2 gig but you also want some room for other stuff like music and documents.

    The Palm GPS Bundle is pretty good from what I hear and it has updated maps which is very important since there has been a lot of construction lately and not all the roads I travel are on the maps.
  3. #3  
    I have tomtom 6 with the Bluetooth tomtom adapter works flawlessly, you can also use a headset with the Treo 700p while its navigating. Maps are usually several hundred MB so plan accordingly. (I also tried it with a 650 and P910i and both work the same as the 700p: Great)
  4. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I have tomtom 6 with the Bluetooth tomtom adapter works flawlessly, you can also use a headset with the Treo 700p while its navigating. Maps are usually several hundred MB so plan accordingly. (I also tried it with a 650 and P910i and both work the same as the 700p: Great)
    Wired headset. 700p cannot handle two bluetooth devices at the same time.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  5. jc-Treo's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    #5  
    Garmin. I think the maps are the best. Under $160 or so.
  6. #6  
    akula34 says: Wired headset. 700p cannot handle two bluetooth devices at the same time.

    not so ... I use TomTom V6 on my 700P with a headset all the time — either a Motorola 700 or the Palm Treo BT headset.

    Now I do have to admit that I get kicked out of TomTom by incoming calls. I have not tried to be on the phone and get back into TomTom ....
    Before I switched to TomTom, I could use either headset with Garmin Que — both running at the same time, i.e., on the phone and navigating.
    So the 700P can use two BT inputs at the same time.
  7. #7  
    I normally go back to TomTom 6 during a call but I have not tried the BT headset either. That said, TomTom map accuracy leaves a bit to be desired, the POI dB is behind others I've seen (Garmin, Magellan) and if you use the USA&Canada map, be ready to add PXE clocker because it is dog slow. If I had to do it again, I would buy Garmin's (and I'm not a Garmin fan)
  8. #8  
    if you're able to use a BT headset while navigating, do u know if u can use BT stereo headphones while navigating.

    actually i would really like to use the MEX-BT500 simultaneously. Is this possible?
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm curious though - what are the reasons *you're* using the Treo as your GPS instead of a stand-alone unit like the Garmin StreetPilot c330 (or c340) - I've started looking at them as options too... About the same price as a Treo GPS bundle.

    I'm starting to wonder b/c if I go with an entirely new phone, I may need new software (perhaps even a new receiver).

    So what are the reasons for a Treo GPS bundle?
    --more portable?
    --easier to update?
    --cheaper to update?
    --more features?
    --work better?
    I left ? marks b/c I really don't know if those are better on the Treo or not... Thoughts? Thanks,
    --Kyle
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by canladdie View Post
    akula34 says: Wired headset. 700p cannot handle two bluetooth devices at the same time.

    not so ... I use TomTom V6 on my 700P with a headset all the time either a Motorola 700 or the Palm Treo BT headset.

    Now I do have to admit that I get kicked out of TomTom by incoming calls. I have not tried to be on the phone and get back into TomTom ....
    Before I switched to TomTom, I could use either headset with Garmin Que both running at the same time, i.e., on the phone and navigating.
    So the 700P can use two BT inputs at the same time.
    I'll confirm that the 700p can do multiple BT devices at the same time. When I go on trips if I'm not driving I'll sit in the passenger seat and work on my laptop, using a bluetooth connection to the internet through the 700p while it's being used with TomTom6 and my BT GPS device.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyley View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm curious though - what are the reasons *you're* using the Treo as your GPS instead of a stand-alone unit like the Garmin StreetPilot c330 (or c340) - I've started looking at them as options too... About the same price as a Treo GPS bundle.

    I'm starting to wonder b/c if I go with an entirely new phone, I may need new software (perhaps even a new receiver).

    So what are the reasons for a Treo GPS bundle?
    --more portable?
    --easier to update?
    --cheaper to update?
    --more features?
    --work better?
    I left ? marks b/c I really don't know if those are better on the Treo or not... Thoughts? Thanks,
    --Kyle

    I went with the TomTom 910, which is a stand alone unit. It has a hard drive to store the maps, etc. Very easy to update because of the hard drive. It's small, easy to bring along with you because of it's size, and has a great screen with a fast, simple touch screen menu (so simple, a caveman can do it). It does have bluetooth so you can pair it with certain phones. I haven't done this and won't try until the bluetooth update comes out for the Treo.
  12. #12  
    I'm using the Garmin Mobile 10 with Mobile XT software and the 10x GPS receiver. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, but it does crash the phone every once in a while. That said, it's a helluva lot better than trying to follow printed out directions when you don't know where you're going or trying to follow the Google Maps app directions while driving (I would never type or read info on my Treo while driving!).

    In addtion to the maps taking up a chunk of your SD card (I have a 4GB card and my maps of the whole Eastern seaboard are about 400MB), the Mobile XT app itself takes up about 4.7MB of RAM.

    Regarding dual use of a BT headset while navigating, I have not been able to make it work with my Jabra 10x. However, I can have my BT earpiece active and just turn off the BT GPS receiver

    Anyway, the reason I have this for the Treo is that I travel constantly, and the 10x receiver is about the same size as a Bic Cigarette lighter. Easily fits into a side pouch on my laptob bag.

    One other forum where you might SEARCH or look is the Bluetooth forum under Accessories. There's lots more discussion there on comparing the available products.
  13. haroldo's Avatar
    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #13  
    My wife has the stand alone TomTom. It is big enough to see and loud. My reading eyesight is not so good these days. I can't imagine trying to read a map on the tiny Treo screen. In addition, the sound quality from the Treo spearkers isn't that good.
    I would recommend the stand alone rather than using the software on the Treo.
    I've never seen the Treo version, but wonder about navigating while getting an incoming call (not sure if it steals the focus of the screen)
    Last edited by haroldo; 04/25/2007 at 07:05 AM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    My wife has the stand alone TomTom. It is big enough to see and loud. My reading eyesight is not so good these days. I can't imagine trying to read a map on the tiny Treo screen. In addition, the sound quality from the Treo spearkers isn't that good.
    I would recommend the stand alone rather than using the software on the Treo.
    I've never seen the Treo version, but wonder about navigating while getting an incoming call (not sure if it steals the focus of the screen)
    It handles incoming calls just fine. Focus goes to the phone app, then when you're finished with the phone you can go back to navigating. Actually after you've answered you can go back to navigating while still talking, if I'm not mistaken.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  15. #15  
    Seems that a plus for using gps with Treo is the ability to use addresses in Contacts as destinations.
    Bob
  16. #16  
    Tried the Garmin 10 MobileXT when it first came out in Dec.06 on my 700P and ended up exchanging it for the TomTom6 package due to Garmin Mobile XT's instability with my 700P. Lot's of lockups for me making it very unreliable & unsafe at times-not to mention stressful when it would reset the phone or lock up at the wrong time. I know Garmin has updated the software recently and it sounds like it may have improved the stability issues-but I'm still reading posts about lockups & resets-so- it's not totally stable yet-IMHO.

    TomTom 6 has been very stable and wonderful as far as I'm concerned. And the map & POI criticisms are valid-but the maps overall are almost as accurate as Garmin's- just not quite.

    The reason the GPS on the Treo is an advantage to me is because I travel frequently I always have myTreo with me no matter where I am or no matter what rental car I'm in. And therefore I've always got my GPS with me. It's been super useful & handy& reliable.

    I love this TomTom on my 700P.

    I just bought my wife a Garmin Street Pilot 530 for her car since she doesn't travel without her car. We love both GPS's-just depends what kind of travelling you do.

    You'll love having a GPS with you no matter which you choose.
  17. #17  
    Oh-yes-I have all of US & CANADA (including Puerto Rico-which turned out to be a useful thing on a recent trip to San Juan) fit on a 1 GB SD card. But- I'd use at least a 2 GB card. I upgraded to a 4 GB card and have lot's of music, pictures & movies with the map data and still have almost 1 GB remaining.
  18.    #18  
    Hey Guys,
    So does Garmin take up extra space with the extra POIs?

    Are the TomTom POIs (and map accuracy) expected to improve over time with map upgrades?

    Can I get the US, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean islands on either Garmin or TomTom (and fit within 2 GB - I will of course get a 4 GB card - 8 GB if people are getting them to work? - no idea on that)?

    The Palm package is about the same as the TomTom 6 one, right? If not, just as good?

    Are the GPS receivers for each of these small enough (durable enough and capable) to be connected to a keychain? If so, will it work dangling with the key in the car's ignition? In that case I could certainly see myself preferring the Treo over a stand-alone unit...

    Which of these do / don't work with your contacts? Will any of them work with Google Maps somehow?

    Maybe the May 28 (hopefully) Treo update will fix the Garmin issues... Sorry for so many questions - trying to learn a lot in a short amount of time... Thanks,
    --Kyle
  19. #19  
    DeLorme Earthmate GPS ??

    (You may want to add this to your review, compare & contrast list. . .)

    http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...minisite=10020
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/25/2007 at 12:43 PM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyley View Post
    The Palm package is about the same as the TomTom 6 one, right? If not, just as good?
    Palm GPS is tomtom6 and the reciever is very small. It comes with a contacts navigation app to nevigate to your contacts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions