1.    #1  
    OK, so I've spent a couple days playing with my Treo 650 and doing this and that. I'm not that techy so that means loading movie quotes for ring tones and calling myself and lots of giggling.

Anyway, every call I've made on the phone I get complaints about the volume of my voice. I've spent a couple days reading all the threads here about such issues but mine seems a bit different from most and I haven't yet seen much of a resolution to any of the threads. My voice is so soft its barely audible, on a call, recording on the phone, leaving messages for myself, etc. It sounds a bit digitized and occasionally choppy, but first and foremost its simply so soft you can't hear it. I even recorded myself talking to play as a ring tone....to soft to recognize. I've played with the physical location of the phone while talking and everything, shouting, whispering, singing, anything you can think of.

Can anyone diagnose my issue with something that has happened to others and possibly offer a solution?

AC
    Do you have the volume turned up in everything. For each individual situation...speakerphone, on a call, ringtones you have to set the volume while using the feature. Turning the volume all the way up when not on a call just turns the ringtone volume up. Have you looked into VolumeCare?
  3.    #3  
    Yes, the volume is up while on a call, but does that affect the microphone volume (my voice) or just the speaker volume (who I called voice)?

No, I haven't looked into VolumeCare, I'll look around for some info on it.

thnks,
    AC
    I think it only effects the speakers' volumes. I'm pretty sure VolumeCare does the same. I was thinking maybe if you didn't have it turned up all the way your tests wouldn't sound very loud, but that's not it. I'm sorry...I don't know what to tell you about your voice quality. My 650 has never even had the speaker problem other users complain about...
  5.    #5  
    Hmm, thats ok, I apreciate it. I've been hearing talk about patches and such, i'll look into them.

AC
    I WORK WITH A FEW GUYS WHO CAN'T CONTROL THEIR VOICE EITHER. HEY EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME GO AND ON AND ON I LOVE TO HEAR MYSELF TALK!

Ahem, sorry.. yeah, Volumecare is almost a requirement on the 650 for the low volumes on the headphone (as in you're holding the phone to your head), and it'll let you adjust the mic sensitivity as well.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the input, I was just reading something about VolumeCare and how well it works. I think I'll have to invest in it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I WORK WITH A FEW GUYS WHO CAN'T CONTROL THEIR VOICE EITHER. HEY EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME GO AND ON AND ON I LOVE TO HEAR MYSELF TALK!

Ahem, sorry.. yeah, Volumecare is almost a requirement on the 650 for the low volumes on the headphone (as in you're holding the phone to your head), and it'll let you adjust the mic sensitivity as well.
    You're always YELLING in some form or another, aren't you?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I had the same problem with my 650. The only solution I found was a headset.
    I've found that a low-tech solution would be to point the microphone towards your mouth, and cupping your hand around the bottom of the phone (fingers on the back of the Treo, the side of your palm touching the side of your chin). People say there is a dramatic improvement when I do that.

P.S.- Just be glad your voice isn't too loud. A LITTLE BIT SOFTER NOW. A LITTLE BIT SOFTER NOW.
    I've found that hanging up the Treo and calling back on my daughter's w810i has made a world of difference in the sound quality of my calls...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I've found that hanging up the Treo and calling back on my daughter's w810i has made a world of difference in the sound quality of my calls...
    nice.
  13.    #13  
    Hmm, volumecare did nothing for my mic volume. Any way to know if its a software or hardware issue? I have an old water logged 650 I could switch out the mic with maybe?
  14.    #14  
    Man am I disappointed in my treo 650. Everything is great, the perfect phone for me, except the phone is useless since no one can hear or understand me. I did find that with a headset its fine, but thats terribly inconvenient especially since I only had a wired headset at the moment. Speaker phone seems to help people hear me, but again thats inconvenient as well.
    Sounds like you suffer from a mild case of VI

"Jacob Silj: Colin, listen to me. I was born without the ability to modulate the volume of my voice. It is an affliction that affects over 700 Americans every year. It is also fully acknowledged by medical communities of both the United Statyes and the United Kingdom. I have extensive literature in the trunk of my car that I'm happy to run and get for you if you think I'm lying.

Colin Quinn: I never said you were lying. Could you just somehow lower your voice?
    Jacob Silj: Oh, My God! What did you not understand about what I just said? I can't do that. I have a disease! Would you ask a blind man to start having vision? Or an old person just to get young again?
    Colin Quinn: No. Of course not.
    Jacob Silj: Well, that's what you're doing. [ demonstrating, still monotone ] This is me whispering. This is me shouting. Now, I'm singing. Does this sound like a pleasurable way to live? [ To himself now ] God, I can't believe he's doing this to you, Jacob. How humiliating."

Seriously, did you go in the advanced settings in VC and turn the mic all the way up?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  16.    #16  
    Yeah, in fact the mic volume on VC was up all the way when I installed it. VC works great for speaker volume and all, but for the mic, it didn't do a thing. I'm about to go back to a regular flip phone I guess....sucks.
    maybe you have a sore throat.....it is going around....take some antibiotics and I'm sure others will hear you fine