Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhawley View Post
    Where the E61 really wins is battery life and form factor - it is so much smaller.
    The E61i is smaller than the Treo 680? You must be talking about thickness, not width...right? I will attest that the E61i is very thin (which I like, btw..) it looks the same width as the E62 I tried when I was first shopping for a smartphone... I was put off by it's width. It felt like I was holding a laptop up against the side of my head...LOL.
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    In thickness mostly. I think it is less tall as well, but don't have the two to compare.

There are many things I liked about the E61, but it seemed to me that Nokia just didn't finish the software.
    Hmmmm...I might have an E61i coming soon on a trade for the Nokia N75 I just got. Need a backup smartphone...but the Treo has ruined me as a flip-phone guy...just can't handle it. I ought to know something tonight...could be fun!!
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Just as a little update: I still haven't had a single crash on the E61 - I can't tell you how nice it is to have a stable OS after having "worked" with a Treo 680 for a couple of months. The Treo just rebooted/crashed all the time :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    Just as a little update: I still haven't had a single crash on the E61 - I can't tell you how nice it is to have a stable OS after having "worked" with a Treo 680 for a couple of months. The Treo just rebooted/crashed all the time :-(
    I've never had reboot or crash one with my 680. In fact, aside from a freeze using "VersaFail" from time to time...it has been ultra stable for me.

I am not considering another phone to replace my Treo...I am considering another phone simply for something new and different.
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I've never had reboot or crash one with my 680. In fact, aside from a freeze using "VersaFail" from time to time...it has been ultra stable for me.

I am not considering another phone to replace my Treo...I am considering another phone simply for something new and different.
    Surprises me to hear that - I had two Treo 680s and both crashed about every 6 hours in average. Of course, I did use Versamail a lot since I used DirectPush and it was running all the time. Chattermail crashed on me all the time as well - and the second Treo I had even crashed when I simply placed phone-calls. Had to take out the battery more than once to end a call :-)

dakis
    FWIW, I have little issues with the 680, but nothing like my old 600 used to have. I use chatter, but do not have too much extra on it as of yet.

My E61 did have an issue with switching between SMS and mail that would require a reset.

All and all, I find them about equally annoying in this area.
    Surprises me to hear that - I had two Treo 680s and both crashed about every 6 hours in average. Of course, I did use Versamail a lot since I used DirectPush and it was running all the time. Chattermail crashed on me all the time as well - and the second Treo I had even crashed when I simply placed phone-calls. Had to take out the battery more than once to end a call :-)

dakis
    I think most people that have had issues with the 680 are those that have loaded their phones with lots of apps...but, not saying you are one of those.

My 680 has only a couple of very carefully planned and executed apps...all that are proven to play well together. I loaded a ton of apps on my phone a week or so ago..and it started acting wonky as hell. Even after I deleted every app with the built-in app manager...there were obviously some file "fragments" that made the phone lag and act weird. So...once I did a hard reset...and had to reset everything from scratch again...I learned a lesson. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

Besides...Christinac130 got mad has hell with me...so I won't do that again...LOL!!!

BTW...got an E61i today...and am having a good time playing with it. I don't think it'll replace my Treo, and I will probably end up selling it...but it's a cool device anyway.
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    BTW...got an E61i today...and am having a good time playing with it. I don't think it'll replace my Treo, and I will probably end up selling it...but it's a cool device anyway.
    I think what I am waiting for is the Treo 900. You know like the 600 was to the 300.

Shave half an inch off the top of the 680, make it half as thick, and have a linux base OS, add Wifi - there my next phone. I thought the E61 was going to do that for me, but Nokia doesn't seem to be able to finish software these days. Too bad Palm seem to take a 3 year break.
    Got the E61i today...sold it tonight...LOL. Great phone, but too wide and hard to maniputlate one-handed...although I loved the metal case and solid build quality.

Just not for me...
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Got the E61i today...sold it tonight...LOL. Great phone, but too wide and hard to maniputlate one-handed...although I loved the metal case and solid build quality.

Just not for me...
    you sold that too quickly :-) took me a couple of days to get used to the form factor and the keyboard - but now I'm typing as fast as I did on my BlackBerry 7290 (which had the best keyboard of all mobile devices I ever used).
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhawley View Post
    The WLAN was nice when i first got the E61, but the lack of roaming between GPRS and WLAN makes it less useful.
    @rhawley - if you're still reading this thread: try out an app called smartroaming (http://www.smartroaming.com/public/index.php) - enables the E61 to do exactly that (seamless roaming between different networks and providers).
    I may be picking a E61i up soon, just for fun.
    davistld01 - can I follow up on your e61i? How do you compare it to Curve and 680? I am trying to decide which one to get.

The critical apps that I need are: phone (sometimes 1-2 hours calls), text message, contact and calendar. Other nice to have apps: financial calculator, converter, world clock.

Much appreciate your feedback.
    I despise the keyboard on the E61i. I, like David, also think its too wide. However, that doesn't mean I am back to my Treo. I'm rolling with the N95 with some Treo inserts here and there. I am getting some major stability issues with the 680 that have to do with the network connections and SMS. I am NOT liking it one bit. And refuse to do another hard reset (reinstalling apps takes a good 4hrs).

The E61i would be nice if I were a BB fan, but I don't like them either.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Anyone with a Palm device and any 3rd party apps needs a good backup solution, NVBackup is excellent and free. It shouldn't take 4 hours to get back up after a hard reset, more like 15 minutes.
    @rhawley - if you're still reading this thread: try out an app called smartroaming (http://www.smartroaming.com/public/index.php) - enables the E61 to do exactly that (seamless roaming between different networks and providers).
    My E61 is long gone. But I did try that. It is a subscription service. Good in theory. What I did not like about it is that when it switches to GPRS/EDGE it would not switch back to WiFI unless it lost GPRS signal.
    there is a app that helps the e61 to switch back to wifi or gprs btw.
    Just picked up a nokia n800. vety nice device. I have synced my contacts and calendar via google. it was so easy. That is what the Foleo should have been. I am getting the Nokia bug now. I might go to compusa and check out some of the other N series phones.
    Just picked up a nokia n800. vety nice device. I have synced my contacts and calendar via google. it was so easy. That is what the Foleo should have been. I am getting the Nokia bug now. I might go to compusa and check out some of the other N series phones.
    Careful, that bug is a nice one
    S60 Bible reader might work for you as well.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast