Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so with all the problems this unit has had is it still worth buying?
    Quote Originally Posted by jprincipe View Post
    Wait to buy the 755p and hope that the lag is fixed. Yes I still use my 700p all the time but the lag is very annoying!
  3.    #3  
    thanks. I switching to verizon from cingular so Im trying to figure out which phone to buy.
    I have Verizon 700P and mine is great, I would buy another one right now if something happened to mine. Works flawlessly. Best phone ever.
    Just about a week ago I switched phone because I wanted to save the 42.00 bucks a month. I just could not take it after a week I had too have my 700P back, I love this phone and can not live without it.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    In an informal survey here and at another forum, approximately 3/4 of users are satisfied with their Treo. It's up to you.

I'm one of the "3" and would recommend it, but wait, I'm sure this thread will generate many different opinions.
    for the first time ever I saw a verizon 700p commercial yesterday. Maybe they are not moving off the shelf as fast as they would like.
    Even with the 755p just around the corner, if I lost my 700p today I would buy another one immediately. I'm hooked. Couldn't live without being connected for even a few weeks waiting for the 755j
    If you're a lurker on the forum, you can pretty much predict which members will post "Yes! Get it!" and "No! It sucks!"

"Problems" all depends on how you use it -- (long story skipped) my 15 year old has one and HAS NEVER HAD A RESET IN 10 MONTHS. She is an occassional phone and PDA user and does not use Bluetooth and goes out to the Internet once a week.

I have mine loaded to the gills, use the phone maybe 400 minutes a month, use the Internet and e-mail continuously throughout the day, use Bluetooth only when traveling in my car and have only encountered lag going into and out of Internet connected apps.

Others, as you have noted, have had many issues. The coming ROM update will have a bearing on all of this, as well.

If you are looking to buy -- I would not shy away from the 700P -- but I would also wait to compare it to the 755. However, I see that you are a 750 user on Cingular (at least that's what you have listed in your User Profile). . . . are you thinking of jumping ship?

Cheers, Perry.
    He's moving to Verizon from Cingular...per his next response
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    He's moving to Verizon from Cingular...per his next response

Duh. . . . . . so much for speed scanning the thread. . . . thank-you for the ever so gentle slap upside the head Christina.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    As far as timing is concerned, the best advice is to wait a few months.
    See if the patch corrects some/all of the known bugs.
    In addition, with all the speculation out there with regard to the iPhone, I'd rather wait and see what it really looks like. I imagine that the PDA manufacturers will have to adjust their product's pricing if they see a significant shift in their market share.
    Adding to the comments...

The way I see it, the final desicion should hinge upon your intended use for this device:

If the 700p is destined mostly for personal use I believe this to be a fantastic device. Yes, it has problems just like any other complex electronic device but, according to Palm, a fix on the way.

If your device will be used heavily for business then I would strongly advice waiting until the patch is out and tested by the palm-community. By that time, first impressions on the 755 will also be available to assist with your purchase decision. If the MR/patch for the 700p brings most of the desired functionality and stability, I would definitely acquire one then as the 755 is not much different (in paper at least) from the 700p and will be selling for a substantial premium over the 700p.

One last thought has to be company support...

If you browse this and other user's forums and the Palm blog you will see a major feeling of disdain towards Palm among the users for the lack of timely response (stonewalling) to the ovious issues with this and I believe other recent Palm models.

When you purchase for business, service after the sale may be just as important (if not more) than the device itself.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I just bought my 700p 2 weeks ago for $300 on eBay and sold my 650 for $150. Considering it ended up being just $150, Sprint's EVDO, and double the amount of RAM I believe it was worth for me. With the 700p I knew what I was getting into. Who knows what type of issues the 755p will have. I have not experienced any crashes with the 700p and I have many third party applications. However, the lag is there.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    thanks. I switching to verizon from cingular so Im trying to figure out which phone to buy.
    Just wait and buy the iPhone. At the moment, no, the 700p is not worth buying because you don't have any idea what kind of support to expect or what the final product is going to be like. Plus, they're coming out with the 755p in several weeks, so no, do not buy the 700p.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I can live with my 700p, but there are many things I wish it did as well as the 650. I would certainly not buy a new one without some sort of serious discount as the handset it about to be EOL'd in 3 weeks and replaced by the 755p.

Despite all the hype (and my being a Mac user) I am still on the fence about the iPhone. The interface I think will exceed many expectations and it certainly looks more elegant than anything that is currently out there, but going down to EDGE data after having EVDO...
    Last edited by eodell; 04/23/2007 at 12:19 PM.
    I would def. buy one... it has completely changed my productivity. I use chatter all the time for push mail and when I am on a long train ride I watch DIVX movies or watch live TV with slingbox. It rarely has locks up (and EVERY phone I have ever has locked up before). Surfing the net is relatively fast on the spring network and more and more sites are become optimized for handhelds.

I love it
    Not in my book, I can't wait for the iPhone to come out and ditch both Palm and Sprint
    Treoing & Loving it
    People upset with 2-3 things that the 700p has trouble with are recommending these same folks or new ones go buy a new phone like the 755p or worse yet..the iphone? Why?

Supposedly a firmware fix is on the way. But its not good enough. Buying a 755p? Anytime palm releases a new device, it has bugs. Always. It'll probably cost more for a weaker battery life and no antenna.

The Iphone is apples and oranges to the treo. No evdo speed. Only a fraction of the uses the Treo has. And it will cost much more in the long run. It's like someone on broadband saying "screw this..i'm going to AOL"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    People upset with 2-3 things that the 700p has trouble with are recommending these same folks or new ones go buy a new phone like the 755p or worse yet..the iphone? Why?
    Because emotion is allowed to override logic and reason.

Is best never to make decisions in haste or anger, lest we may regret the consequences.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast