1.    #1  
    I've been receiving emails and noticing posts wherein people are thanking me for the effort to get a firmware update. I thought I'd post my thoughts here rather than reply to them all. It has been an honor to have so many people back me in this endeavour. I am in still in awe of having had 410 persons sign the initial Firmware Rally poll. If there had not been such overwhelming support, the whole effort would have went nowhere despite any letter I could've written. It was you guys who got this off the ground. It was Septimus who gave the Rally the press coverage it needed when we finally launched the letter to Palm. Had it not gotten the front page of Treocentral, Palm may not have noticed us. The exposure demonstrated to Palm that it was the effort of legitimately large group as opposed to just crazy me writing them a letter. So a big thank you to the 410, Septimus, Treocentral and everyone else who vocalized their support. There were a lot of critics who said that Palm would not even respond to us. So I also want to thank Steve Sinclair for proving them wrong. Hopefully Palm will prove every doubter of the firmware update wrong on the week of May 28th.

I'll be taking a break from the firmware update situation over the next two weeks so I can concentrate soley on my other near and dear cause. That is the MS Walk which is a charity event run by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS) every year. The money raised is used for medical research to help persons affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

I have had MS since 2001 when it hit me at the age of 30. Luckily my walking ability recovered and the two months I was out of work was the only lenghty amount of time I have missed. Working with this charity over the last few years I have befriended many persons who have not been as fortunate. I could go on with examples but will only mention one. This young guy was just graduating from school to be a radiologist. Then MS hit him and he was in a wheelchair. He re-habbed his way out of the wheelchair in about a year but that was far from what you would call a recovery. His legs are still weak, he randomly loses his balance and falls from time to time and has to use a cane because of it. Being that a radiologist has to lug around those heavy film slides, he can no longer meet the physical requirements of that job and can't afford to go to school now to learn another career. One minute he had a bright future in front of him in his early 20's and the next minute BAM! All ruined within a few weeks. He had even been so sure of his future career that he had donated his car to charity a few weeks before he was going to graduated. Now he has problems walking and doesn't even have a car. The irony is tragic in that as well. He told me all of this stuff and I had no idea what to say to him. What I realized is that there is only one thing that I can say to him and many others in his place. I tell them that I am going to walk for them until a cure is found and they can walk for themselves.

If you support charities, I would appreciate your consideration of supporting this one by sponsoring my team. All donations are 100% tax deductible and there is no minimum contribution. It is any amount that you would like to donate. Even if you just want to donate $10 to show support, it will be greatly appreciated. My corporation is also going to match donations. If you are in the Philadelphia area and would like to join our team, that would be even be better. We are always looking for new friends.

If you are interested, please check out my website at http://oldcityposse.org. The left hand part of the website is a frame of the NMSS official website. It is sometimes slow loading that part of the page so be patient. It just has a touch of 700p lag - PLEASE no arguments over whether it really lags or not. Once it loads you will see links that read, "Donate to Robert!", and "Join Robert's Team!" that you can click on to make a donation on sign up to Walk on May 6th. You can also learn more about the history of the team and my struggle with the disease by reading through some of the articles I have I written.

Best Wishes,

Bob
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I've been receiving emails and noticing posts wherein people are thanking me for the effort to get a firmware update. I thought I'd post my thoughts here rather than reply to them all. It has been an honor to have so many people back me in this endeavour. I am in still in awe of having had 410 persons sign the initial Firmware Rally poll. If there had not been such overwhelming support, the whole effort would have went nowhere despite any letter I could've written. It was you guys who got this off the ground. It was Septimus who gave the Rally the press coverage it needed when we finally launched the letter to Palm. Had it not gotten the front page of Treocentral, Palm may not have noticed us. The exposure demonstrated to Palm that it was the effort of legitimately large group as opposed to just crazy me writing them a letter. So a big thank you to the 410, Septimus, Treocentral and everyone else who vocalized their support. There were a lot of critics who said that Palm would not even respond to us. So I also want to thank Steve Sinclair for proving them wrong. Hopefully Palm will prove every doubter of the firmware update wrong on the week of May 28th.

I'll be taking a break from the firmware update situation over the next two weeks so I can concentrate soley on my other near and dear cause. That is the MS Walk which is a charity event run by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS) every year. The money raised is used for medical research to help persons affected by Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

I have had MS since 2001 when it hit me at the age of 30. Luckily my walking ability recovered and the two months I was out of work was the only lenghty amount of time I have missed. Working with this charity over the last few years I have befriended many persons who have not been as fortunate. I could go on with examples but will only mention one. This young guy was just graduating from school to be a radiologist. Then MS hit him and he was in a wheelchair. He re-habbed his way out of the wheelchair in about a year but that was far from what you would call a recovery. His legs are still weak, he randomly loses his balance and falls from time to time and has to use a cane because of it. Being that a radiologist has to lug around those heavy film slides, he can no longer meet the physical requirements of that job and can't afford to go to school now to learn another career. One minute he had a bright future in front of him in his early 20's and the next minute BAM! All ruined within a few weeks. He had even been so sure of his future career that he had donated his car to charity a few weeks before he was going to graduated. Now he has problems walking and doesn't even have a car. The irony is tragic in that as well. He told me all of this stuff and I had no idea what to say to him. What I realized is that there is only one thing that I can say to him and many others in his place. I tell them that I am going to walk for them until a cure is found and they can walk for themselves.

If you support charities, I would appreciate your consideration of supporting this one by sponsoring my team. All donations are 100% tax deductible and there is no minimum contribution. It is any amount that you would like to donate. Even if you just want to donate $10 to show support, it will be greatly appreciated. My corporation is also going to match donations. If you are in the Philadelphia area and would like to join our team, that would be even be better. We are always looking for new friends.

If you are interested, please check out my website at http://oldcityposse.org. The left hand part of the website is a frame of the NMSS official website. It is sometimes slow loading that part of the page so be patient. It just has a touch of 700p lag - PLEASE no arguments over whether it really lags or not. Once it loads you will see links that read, "Donate to Robert!", and "Join Robert's Team!" that you can click on to make a donation on sign up to Walk on May 6th. You can also learn more about the history of the team and my struggle with the disease by reading through some of the articles I have I written.

Best Wishes,

Bob

Good Post Bob,

I will visit the site tomorrow and hopefully you are going to accept Paypal. It's true we have all been spending a lot of time posting! If our energies were directed into something like this; the world could be changed! Of course I enjoy our forums. I am out of my home territory this week but I usually participate in the Cancer Walk.

And of course I appreciate your work on our 700p update! (which is finally on the horizon) A BIG THANK YOU!
    Thank you very much for all that you have done for us. You were the one that gave direction and purpose to our voices, opening the door for change, bringing the struggle to fruition.

As you pledged your support to our cause then, I now will pledge my support to yours.

I do encourage others to pledge to this cause and show Bob-C our deepest appreciation not only with kind words, but with actions. Here is our chance to take a stance and make a difference.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/23/2007 at 08:57 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I support the MS walk every year by sponsoring my sister who has MS. She was diagnosed 3-4 years ago and she walks every year. She is pretty much the last one to reach the finish but she does finish. Just laat year she also participated in the Pedal to the Point. She road along with her doctor.

Best of luck to you.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Bob-C, wow, what a story. Thanks for all of your efforts. I truly appreciate it.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
  6.    #6  
    Thx for all the kind words guys. I checked the NMSS site and unfortunately it does not take PayPal and only credit cards. If anyone would rather send a check then it needs to be made out to "NMSS". In that case drop me an email and I will give you my address to send it to.

Hey Cigar - saw your note on the site about the TC'ers and it made me laugh. I know people are going to ask me what that is all about.

If anyone has trouble with the site or has any questions, just let me know. Thanks for the support once again.

Bob
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Hey Cigar - saw your note on the site about the TC'ers and it made me laugh. I know people are going to ask me what that is all about.

If anyone has trouble with the site or has any questions, just let me know. Thanks for the support once again.

Bob
    Hey Bob, I figured your efforts may as well be recognized outside the Treo community as well. My wife's aunt suffered from MS and quite honestly I like to help anyway I can. Take care and thanks again for spearheading the cause.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
  8.    #8  
    It is amazing how many people I meet who tell me they have someone affected.

Most people eventually get some kind of disease & that's just the nature of life. You can't really complain about that. The thing about this disease is that people typically develop it in their 20's - 30's just as they are starting to build a family, a legacy if you will. That is my only really gripe about it. No one should have to tell their family they that they might go blind or be restricted in a wheelchair over the next few years instead of building a family. Having to explain that to my parents & friends was the worst experience of my life. What I hope to accomplish most is to prevent that from happening to other people. No one should have that conversation at such an early age.

I hope your wife's aunt is doing well. Tell her I will keep at this cause until the mission is accomplished. Then explain my Treo campaign so that she understands my tenacity & committment to any cause I take up. Hmmm..... interesting how, despite all our frustration, in comparison the firmware update was a pretty short wait & a lot less effort. Puts it all in perspective.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I guess I'll be the bad guy. While I think your cause is admirable, your post is in the wrong forum. This post belongs in the Off-Topic forum.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    It is amazing how many people I meet who tell me they have someone affected.

Most people eventually get some kind of disease & that's just the nature of life. You can't really complain about that. The thing about this disease is that people typically develop it in their 20's - 30's just as they are starting to build a family, a legacy if you will. That is my only really gripe about it. No one should have to tell their family they that they might go blind or be restricted in a wheelchair over the next few years instead of building a family. Having to explain that to my parents & friends was the worst experience of my life. What I hope to accomplish most is to prevent that from happening to other people. No one should have that conversation at such an early age.

I hope your wife's aunt is doing well. Tell her I will keep at this cause until the mission is accomplished. Then explain my Treo campaign so that she understands my tenacity & committment to any cause I take up. Hmmm..... interesting how, despite all our frustration, in comparison the firmware update was a pretty short wait & a lot less effort. Puts it all in perspective.

Bob-C
    I just pm'd you............
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
  11.    #11  
    We are a website full of people who talk about hiring lawyers for class action lawsuits over a phone, paying $$$ for WIFI cards/support on a phone that already has an EVDO data plan, and paying even more $$$ to swap smartphones on an average of once a year mostly on a whim. Yet I've only had a single person follow through and make a pledge. What does that say?

Even just a measly $5 or $10 donation is not gonna make anyone here have to auction their Treo on eBay or pass up buying that new third party application. If just that amount of money were donated by each of the 400+ persons who signed the petition I wrote, it becomes a pretty significant amount. Even more so after my company's match. It also will help a lot more people than that firmware update you desperately want to load on your phone.

So c'mon guys.... We ARE better than this, right?

That site once again is http://oldcityposse.org. Just click on "Donate to Robert!" The donation is tax deductible.
    Robert, I am happy to donate and I did. I understand your frustration, but your last post seems to suggest that people who didn't donate to you don't donate to any charity. I assure you that people donate time and money to other worthwhile charities -- even people who do not elect to donate to MS.
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I guess I'll be the bad guy. While I think your cause is admirable, your post is in the wrong forum. This post belongs in the Off-Topic forum.
    True. But I'll cut Bob some slack for the time he's put into pursuing Palm.

I have a very good hunch that we'll see MS cured and a distant memory (plus the polar icecap repaired) before we ever see a worthy firmware release for the 700p.

Hey - now it's an "on topic" post!!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Hey Bob C, I just got done volunteering for the MS Walk in NC. I do it every year. It's a great charity with many wonderful people involved. Glad to know it can help people like yourself. Keep up the terrific job.

Best Wishes, Derek (aka Surf)
    Also like Bob said, give whatever you can even if its 5 bucks. Also don't forget donations are tax deductible, but give cause your heart tells ya too.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks to Silver Surfer, and pool_shark for being involved with the charity as well as cigarman. Thanks to you too Wink100 for the donation.

Wink100 - I understand your statement about charities & am not asking anybody already involved with the MS charity to donate again, but c'mon now. Even if a person already gives to other charities, is it really going to hurt anyone to give $5 or $10 to one more? Will it take food off the table or force anyone to give up purchasing those upgraded versions of Butler, Pocket-Tunes or Snappermail?

I am hoping that some people just keep putting it off because ... Heck! It is tax deductible & I wish I could add up all the hours I spent on the firmware update campaign for everyone, multiply it by my hourly rate and then deduct that amount from my taxes. It would come out to a whole LOT more than $5 or $10.

So c'mon guys. I would personally appreciate it if you could rally to help me out this time.
    Heh...Bob, I think you scared everyone away by calling it the MS walk. Most of us associate that with windows mobile

But seriously, $5 to $10 is easily in the realm of affordability for anyone who's carrying around a treo with a data plan. Come on guys, Bob's put in some time for you, and granted no one's obligated to do anything, but it would be a nice gesture or "thank you" to help him out.

PS - Heh...I think it'd be a great idea to ask Steve Sinclair next time you talk to him to donate a little.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I think merlyn has a great point here. I think you should ask sinclair. BTW, How did the walk go?
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
  19.    #19  
    The Walk went great. We had beautiful weather and a great turnout. I probably had about 50 walkers on my team.

I PM'd Steve's last tidbit to the five of you on this thread who supported my Walk team. Take a look at it and then take a look at the 755p photos. Ain't it really cool how one supports the other? Thanks for the help guys. If I get anymore info I will PM you.

I still have people who will be donating to the team over the course of the next two weeks so I will tell you our total financial result then.

Thx - Bob