Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've got the card, just not sure how to put stuff on them.

Thanks!
    I have used Pocket DVD Studio to "rip" my DVD encoded movies and TV shows to an AVI video file, screen size formated for viewing on my Treo. Other programs are available out there, I believe some even free - others may chime on this.

To play the movie on the Treo I use TCPMP (a free multimedia program for the Palm platform) with very good video quality and stereo sound. A typical movie file takes about 250 - 350 MB of storage on the SD card.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/22/2007 at 10:18 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhook View Post
    I've got the card, just not sure how to put stuff on them.
    With card readers for your PC being so cheap, that is the best option. But there are programs for the Treo which make if look like a disk drive when plugged in to your PC. Try Card Export or Card Reader.
    How many movies can you watch on a 700p before you exhaust the battery?
    1.6 to 1.7

(Considering phone usage is estimated at 5 hours -- I would say you would get 2.5 to 3 hours of continuous screen and sound usage out of a fully charged stock battery. I was able to watch the full first Harry Potter flick with my teenagers and friends while wating in line for the midnight showing of #3, can't remember what that dropped the battery to -- but I also have the 2400 mAh on board.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/23/2007 at 07:31 AM.
    does anyone know of any free programs for converting dvd's to avi?
    This can be done for free using a variety of tools in the public domain as part of the GordianKnot suite (most notably VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod). I think there are other free tools out there as well. If you search, you should find lots of threads on this topic. An old one, I kept in my Subscribed threads is: "Step by step, ripping a DVD for Treo for FREE"

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=91697

But, having provided an answer to your question, I would spend the 35 bucks on Pocket DVD Studio... It's easy to use, intuitive, and makes a complex and time consuming process (using the tools in GK) very easy.

http://www.pqdvd.com/watch_dvd_on_pocket_pc.html

Also, if you TiVo TV shows, I'd recommend anther app for removing the commercials from your shows if you want to save some card / disk space: VideoReDo Plus.

http://www.videoredo.com/
    Pocket DIVX works really well to encode any stored video that you have. It is free as well. I put all of mine on my 8gb SDHC card and use TCPMP to watch them. Encode your videos using the "PDA" option and you'll be all set.
    fairuse works really well also.
  10.    #10  
    I guess I'm a bit confused, there's no way just to copy files from my hard drive onto my SD card on my phone? I thought the device allowed me to do this without having to get external applications etc.

If I want to put a movie on my card, I need some extra apps?

Thanks!
    If the movies are already compressed and formatted for a program like TCPMP or Kinoma to use, then you can just copy them to your card. Otherwise, you have to use a program like FairUse Wizard to compress them...it's free.

TCPMP is a free too...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I guess I'm a bit confused, there's no way just to copy files from my hard drive onto my SD card on my phone? I thought the device allowed me to do this without having to get external applications etc.

Thanks!
    The best/fastest way to copy/move movies, TV shows, etc. to your card is to get a card reader. Take the card out of your Treo, put it into the card reader (which is attached to your computer via USB), find the files you want to move and then move them. This is the fastest way to do it. Believe me...I do this all of the time. This is the one I use on my PC: http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/I...ItemID=TS-RDS1

Also, where these apps aren't free, they work very well. I encode TV episodes, like the Daily Show (which are easily found online at Torrent-like sites), using Kinoma Producer. I make very small MP4's with Kinoma (generally around 45MB down from a 175MB original file).

For DVD's, I use CloneDVD Mobile. This will take any DVD and crunch the whole thing down to a 200-600MB file. (Depending on a number of variables) Before you can do this though, you have to use an app like DVD Shrink 3.2 to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive. Once you have the VOB files on your hard drive, then you can use CloneDVD Mobile.

I have a 4GB card and I generally carry with me:

-3 FULL DVD movies or shows
    -10 to 12 Daily Show episodes

I have also found that Coreplayer is a great app for viewing .avi's and Kinoma's latest Palm app is great for the MP4's.

Additionally, I can watch movies on my 700P - coast to coast - through the use of a small lithium ion battery made by APC. I just keep this battery connected to my 700P whenever I'm watching movies or TV shows on the plane and when I arrive at my destination, I am still at 100% charged. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=apc

I also have two of these when I travel: http://store.treocentral.com/content...gn=TreoCentral

Hope this helps.

SMEGGIE
    Last edited by SMEGGIE; 04/23/2007 at 08:04 PM.
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.

Thanks!
    I guess you are...

I hope after SMEGGIE's informative post things have come into focus for you. However, let me sumarize this process for you one last time:

STEP 1: To convert video files to view on your Treo, you WILL need additional software such as PQ DVD, CloneDVD Mobile or any others mentioned here. That software works on your computer to encode the video to a format playable on the Treo screen.

STEP 2: To transfer the encoded video from STEP 1 to your SD Card (and yes, you WILL need one) in theory you can use Hotsync or other 3rd party file transfer application, however this process can be very slow and unreliable for large files. The preferred method is to use an external card reader to directy "drag and drop" from your computer to the card. External card readers are available most everywhere (i.e., Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, TreoCentral Store, etc.) and are inexpensive. The latest multimedia computers (and printers) come with built-in card readers that are convenient and excellent for the job (this is what I use). READ your computer/printer manual to see if you have one of those and learn how to use it.

STEP 3: To view the encoded video files in your Treo you WILL need and additional viewer program; movie playback is NOT a native Treo function. As stated above there are several options, I use TCPMP...is freely available by SEARCHING the web and works very well on most Treos. Instructions on installation and usage are contained in the distribution file.

If heavy mobile entertaintment is in your future, I will recommend at least having an extra charged battery available with you. The high-capacity ones are very good for the job and can be found by SERCHING the TreoCentral Store and several other places.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/24/2007 at 08:53 AM.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Before you can do this though, you have to use an app like DVD Shrink 3.2 to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive.
    Smeggie, when using DVD Shrink I have been getting errors with a lot of my newer DVD's, usually during the rip process but sometimes even during the initial 2 minute scan. You too? Any solution/fix?
    TCPMP will play movies that you have downloaded directly from the net, however you want to compress them to the correct size to save room on the card.

Jaharr- try Pocket Divx encoder...it works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Jaharr- try Pocket Divx encoder...it works great.
    I'll give it a shot -- thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I have used Pocket DVD Studio to "rip" my DVD encoded movies and TV shows to an AVI video file, screen size formated for viewing on my Treo. Other programs are available out there, I believe some even free - others may chime on this.

To play the movie on the Treo I use TCPMP (a free multimedia program for the Palm platform) with very good video quality and stereo sound. A typical movie file takes about 250 - 350 MB of storage on the SD card.
    WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?
    Last edited by Christinac130; 04/26/2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinso View Post
    WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?
    Google TCPMP and you will find several places where you can download it from. If not successful, PM me I have the original distribution files somewhere on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Google TCPMP and you will find several places where you can download it from. If not successful, PM me I have the original distribution files somewhere on my computer.
    The download for TCPMP is in the link I provided above your post...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast