1.    #1  
    I was just thinking recently about this as I struggled with yet another "redownload everything" mess due to Mobipocket's absurd digital rights management. (Note to self: never buy another Mobi secure ebook again....)

Mobi is one issue---will the company you bought the book for be around if you need to re-download in the future?

But what about all the other *.prc and *.pdb ebooks that are not secure? Do even these present significant transition issues?

For example, say I want to change my 650 to Windows based PDA. Do my ebooks work any more?

If not, can they be converted back to text and then to some other format? (I've used makedoc to change some books originally in *.txt to *.pdb........but most *.pdbs let alone *.prcs don't come in *.txt in the first place, and I don't know what software lets you convert the other way...)
    Ereader is multi-platform, which is really good.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    eReader is multiplatform, but how about their files? Do PDBs work on eReader-Windows?

How about PRCs?

And what happens if eReader ceases to exist?
    The ereader files are pdb's also on windows mobile, but yes, it would be a problem if they cease to exist. At least their DRM is self-contained, and does not rely upon validating against a server. One could theoretically run ereader on an emulator forever

But yes, its a real problem.

Surur
    I've been reading books on my T-Mobile Dash using eReader that I originally purchased for my Palm devices (.pdb format) so that's not an issue.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    At least their DRM is self-contained, and does not rely upon validating against a server.

Surur
    Yes. MobiPocket DRM is a nightmare. The PID system doesn't even give you control of the book if you still have a functioning Mobi reader. Every time you change a device, you have to re-download from the original vendor. At LEAST, with eReader, you always have the unlock code as long as you can run the application.

Of course, this is just "secure" e-book issues.

Regarding just "regular" ebooks in *.pdb or *.prc format, does anyone know whether there is a way to convert these back to text?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires View Post
    Regarding just "regular" ebooks in *.pdb or *.prc format, does anyone know whether there is a way to convert these back to text?
    If they've got DRM, then no, there is no way. If they're from a free site (say, Gutenberg or a site listed here) you can easily use DocInOut to turn it back into a text file. (Search on Google if you don't know where to locate DocInOut...it's PC only, but FREE!)

EDIT: Disclaimer ~ I'm *yellowrose* on that site. =)
  8.    #8  
    Yes, I understand why DRM can't be converted.

Great site of yours. Many good recommendations of which I was unaware. I knew about things like Gutenberg, manybooks.net, and major pay sites, but not others. Arthur's classic novels is a find.

BTW, your link to Black Mask is not functioning.
    You could always take screen shots of each page and send it to OCR. On Wm this would be quite easy. One could install screen shot software, use mortscipt to automate the screen capture, and then feed the pages to desktop OCR software. With high quality shots it should work relatively well.

Surur