Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Movie going is one of my most loved forms of entertainment. Unfortunately, like many others, I later have a hard time remembering the details of movies I've seen: the name of the movie, the names of younger actors, directors etc. I often make a "note to self" to look up a certain movie while I'm watching it to see those details, but most of the time I completely forget about it. I believe all this is now a thing of the past as my "memory" now has the ability of almost 100% instant and total recall (in the movie department ).

    I had not finished reading 1/3 of Harv Laser's *outstanding* review of LandWare's Leonard Maltin's 2007 Movie Guide when I downloaded the program and and started fiddling with it. About five minutes later it was registered. Then, I proceeded to finish reading the rest of the review and, figuratively speaking, came out of the experience with a pointed Mohawk haircut. What a great program for the Treo!

    I had never heard of Leonard Maltin before, but I'm sure not to forget the name now. Thanks so much Harv for taking the time to bring this wonderful piece of programming to our attention and making movie going that much more of an enjoyable experience!
  2. #2  
    I get his books every year. Last year to be different, I went with Videohound movie reviews from www.pocketsensei.com. very good program.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I get his books every year. Last year to be different, I went with Videohound movie reviews from www.pocketsensei.com. very good program.
    Thanks for the comment cadman. I will download the trial version. It would be nice if it had pictures of the actors, actresses, directors which about the only thing I'm missing (without using Blazer and imbd that is).
  4. #4  
    The Rex add on for Videohound does have some pictures from 4 bones (stars) movies...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks cadman. I thought I had replied earlier but I guess the post got lost in ether. I find that after searching for a movie title and scrolling down to the links for the actors etc. the links do not work. A simple workaround is to go back a page and then forward back to the original page, then the links come alive again. This "bug" only shows up using the search function. It's a minor irritant but do you or anyone else have this problem. I really like the interface on this program and am considering registering it as well.
  6. #6  
    I don't have that issue. Hmmm, the database is large. I wonder what could be causing it.
  7. Muirwoody's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #7  
    I downloaded this program a couple of weeks ago, but I have a problem. During the first post-install HotSync the sync wouldn't complete. It got stuck during this software's update saying "updating movie events (or something similar)." I couldn't even get out of hotsync. I had to unplug the laptop and pull the battery to turn it off. I had to pull the battery on the 700p too. I changed the conduit in the palm desktop software to "do nothing" at "my movies and events." It works now as far as old movie reviews, but I'm not getting as much out of it as I should be. Anyone else have this happen?
  8. #8  
    which program Leo's or Videohound?
  9. Muirwoody's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #9  
    Maltin's movie reviews. For some reason it won't sync the movie/event data. Severe crash to both my laptop and Treo.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirwoody View Post
    Maltin's movie reviews. For some reason it won't sync the movie/event data. Severe crash to both my laptop and Treo.
    What device and OS? It's working perfectly for me on a 700p and XP Home.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I don't have that issue. Hmmm, the database is large. I wonder what could be causing it.
    Thanks for checking. It could be that the problem goes away on the registered version. The reviews are longer and add some insights that I definitely appreciate. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to pay the full price again when the 2007/8 version comes out? Or is this one of the included updates?

    No reply to my email to support@ on the "bug."
  12. #12  
    videohound allows you to update.
    I purchased this program in summer of 2005 and keep updating it without having to pay....all done legally....
  13. Muirwoody's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    What device and OS? It's working perfectly for me on a 700p and XP Home.
    700p and XP Pro.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirwoody View Post
    700p and XP Pro.
    I don't remember which one seemed to place a conduit or something on the Palm Desktop (both?) but, if Maltin's did, I didn't touch any of those settings. Did you?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    videohound allows you to update.
    I purchased this program in summer of 2005 and keep updating it without having to pay....all done legally....
    Sold!
  16. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    videohound allows you to update.
    I purchased this program in summer of 2005 and keep updating it without having to pay....all done legally....
    Does that mean the monthly updates negate the need for the yearly update of REX? On the site they say:

    "
    Pay once for the new year and monthly updates are free so your library stays current."

    Are your ongoing updates a glitch in the system, or how it is meant to work?

    Having played around with both for a few days now, Im more impressed with Videohound than Maltin. For one thing, I cant believe how they waste so much of the screen on Maltin with bare space, forcing you to scroll down all the time for sometimes just one or two more lines of review.

    The other resources that bear consideration are the free Tomeraider IMDB files (the movie one is 136Mb, so that gives you some idea of the coverage). There is also an excellent IMDB TV database (71MB). I spent a good hour last nite chuckling over its amazingly comprehensive list of the ever-amusing quotes from Seinfeld. Of course it means you have to buy the Tomeraider program, but I have had that for years myself, because I use TR Wikipedia all the time. The quality of reviews in the IMDB files is nowhere near as uniform in quality as the commercial apps, sometimes being far superior, other times being a simple plot summary, or even nothing at all. For some strange reason they include a lot of porn titles, mercifully without plot summaries.


    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Does that mean the monthly updates negate the need for the yearly update of REX? On the site they say:

    "
    Pay once for the new year and monthly updates are free so your library stays current."

    Are your ongoing updates a glitch in the system, or how it is meant to work?

    Having played around with both for a few days now, Im more impressed with Videohound than Maltin. For one thing, I cant believe how they waste so much of the screen on Maltin with bare space, forcing you to scroll down all the time for sometimes just one or two more lines of review.

    The other resources that bear consideration are the free Tomeraider IMDB files (the movie one is 136Mb, so that gives you some idea of the coverage). There is also an excellent IMDB TV database (71MB). I spent a good hour last nite chuckling over its amazingly comprehensive list of the ever-amusing quotes from Seinfeld. Of course it means you have to buy the Tomeraider program, but I have had that for years myself, because I use TR Wikipedia all the time. The quality of reviews in the IMDB files is nowhere near as uniform in quality as the commercial apps, sometimes being far superior, other times being a simple plot summary, or even nothing at all. For some strange reason they include a lot of porn titles, mercifully without plot summaries.


    Thanks for the information on Tomeraider, I was not aware.
    FWIW:
    I can see why you like Videohound but/and would like to point out a couple of things. In the Maltin program when you call up a review, tap on the small text area below the "wasted space" and it will pop up on you making the review a lot easier to read. I missed this too, at first, since it is not at all obvious. Also the Maltin program allows you direct "instant updates" in the DVD and Feature Film sections (you can see the upcoming release dates here) that don't use Blazer to update (as the main program seems to use). Don't know if you saw that but I don't see the equivalent function on VideoHound. Lastly, if you use headphones with VideoHound the sound effects are amusing.
    Last edited by copernicus; 05/06/2007 at 01:18 AM.
  18. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Thanks for the information on Tomeraider, I was not aware.
    FWIW:
    I can see why you like Videohound but/and would like to point out a couple of things. In the Maltin program when you call up a review, tap on the small text areo below the "wasted space" and it will pop up on you making the review a lot easier to read. I missed this too, at first, since it is not at all obvious. Also the Maltin program allows you direct "instant updates" in the DVD and Feature Film sections (you can see the upcoming release dates here) that don't use Blazer to update (as the main program seems to use). Don't know if you saw that but I don't see the equivalent function on VideoHound.
    Thanks for both those tips, Copernicus I hadnt really checked out the update functions at all yet.

    I tried both ways of updating Maltin. In the first one you mention I keep getting an error msg, eg
    "iCalParseFilmCalendarerr:00008008".
    The second method, as you say, takes me to Blazer, and I get a message saying "No records found".

    I now have the same question re Maltin as I had for VH: if one is willing to go to the trouble of attempting updates at regular intervals (and they actually work!) does this remove the need for purchasing a whole new database each year (eg Maltin 2008)?

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  19. #19  
    I updated the rex database this year and it automatically took my registration from last year.. The rex file however, is 11mb, and I now have it on my sd card, but it takes forever to load.
  20. TRgEOff's Avatar
    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I updated the rex database this year and it automatically took my registration from last year.. The rex file however, is 11mb, and I now have it on my sd card, but it takes forever to load.
    Thx for that info. Im trialling both the basic VH and REX (good name for a hound program!). I have both on my superslow 8gb card, but still I havent noticed anything unusually slow about either launching the program or any entries.To be specific, from when I hit the icon in Zlauncher, it takes 6secs for the main VH screen to appear. But thats pretty usual with apps on my card.

    cheers
    geoff

    Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions