Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Agree, the MS platform has evolved into a powerful and versatile competitor inspite of it's apparent user-interface complexity. Is superior to the Palm OS in some areas and not so in others. But with the lackluster support and lack of tangible OS development on the Palm side, we are now strongly considering moving our business PDA to MS within a year or less.
    The real money in smart phones is in fleet sales, consumers generally boil down into 2 categories: "got to have the latest and greatest right now" and "I just need something functional and inexpensive." This makes the consumer side of the business pretty volatile and creates a lot of pressure to pack more features into a cheaper device that's a hard way to make a profit. As those of us in the IT sector are intimately familiar this combination tends to make for some pretty unreliable products. Business users tend to pay more for products from a TCO perspective vis a vis maintenance and support contracts and have an expectation, actually a requirement, that the devices work consistently. They also tend to lock down their devices to prevent corruption and security issues. I'm not terribly familiar with Palm's B2B offerings but if they are as open and unreliable as the consumer products then they have no chance of success.

That leads us to the Linux juggernaut. I am looking forward to seeing Linux on my Treo, I hope that it's as reliable as Linux on my laptop but it had better be a little easier to manage and it has to run my current Palm apps. To me the distinctions between Linux distros, while interesting, is just a pain to manage. If my new Linux Treo won't run my legacy Pam apps then my investment in those apps is worthless, that makes me a free agent in terms of my next smart phone platform. The technology graveyard is littered with the bones of companies that failed to bring reliable computing closer to the user remember Wang, DEC, and to some extent Sun. Palm has to recognize this before Apple or MS or Motorola or someone we've all never heard of eats their lunch. To me one way to do that is to provide more tools and support for developers to create more reliable applications. My 700P is worthless while it's rebooting.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    That leads us to the Linux juggernaut. I am looking forward to seeing Linux on my Treo, I hope that it's as reliable as Linux on my laptop...
    Amen to that!

If well implemented, Linux/Palm OS may be the most worthy platform to look forward to in the PDA arena. I wish by then Palm do license the OS to other hardware manufacturers thereby increasing competition and hopefully quality of consumer PDA products.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  3.    #23  
    Linux looks promising, it will probably cause a serious shakeout in the Smartphone market because apps written for one HW platform would, in theory, be portable to another, thereby negating the proprietary OS advantage. On the surface that would seem to be good for consumers but ultimately it will start a price war and weaker players will drop out or merge in order to compete. Then when there's only one or two manufacturers left competitive pressures will be relaxed, innovation stifled and prices will rise. I don't think we want our telecom market to look like the energy market do we?
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    On the surface that would seem to be good for consumers but ultimately it will start a price war and weaker players will drop out or merge in order to compete. Then when there's only one or two manufacturers left competitive pressures will be relaxed, innovation stifled and prices will rise.
    Sounds to me like the story of Palm...
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12