Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I have the folowing combination:
    1) treo 700p
    2) seidio car kit G2500
    3) Solar Bluetooth GPS Receiver based on MediaTek MT3 chipset
    I beleive GPS can also act as a serial gps.

I made a cable and hooked up GPS to the car kit - the charging function works, but the GPS part doesn't. I tried 9600,8,N,1 and pretty much every other speed and combination. If i start ptelnet and configure it to look at serial port , it does see traffic from gps, but it looks like garbage at any speed I tried. It doesn't look like a readable strings serial gps would send. I hooked up gps to a scope and saw a nice square wave with signal level of 3.3v (is it a problem ? does treo expect 5v signals? but then I don't think i would see anything at all)
    Have anybody did something similar?
    Can you tell me what parts you buy to make the serial cable? Thanks
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    OK, I found the problem - the seidio car kit have a small inverter board inside ,that's why i saw garbage - once I've bypassed it , it started to work fine.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    kocoman, the seidio car kit i have has a RJ-11 connector that is wired to the serial pins of Treo - all i had to buy is a mini-usb cable and rj-11 cable - cut them and connect according to pin-outs. It might be different for different car kits and gps receivers - what are you trying to do ?