Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi there, I don't have a data plan (Verizon is too expensive and I sit in front to of a computer all day), so I don't use the web on my Treo. I advised a friend to purchase a Treo and she has the data plan (realtor who needs it for work), so I am advising her.
    She complains that she can't get to some sites. I don't understand the 'mobile web'. Are there sites that are designed for mobile users? Are some/most sites off limit to mobile users (presumably due to the size of the pages, etc.)?
    Any advice on what I should tell her?
    Thanks!
    Many pages look to see if you are mobile or not and will default to mobile pages. Yahoo for instance forces you to go to mobile via blazer.

There is a website that I use periodically that will load the normal webpage thru their website, but it doesn't work for everything, some are just too big.

It's called skweezer.net. I can go to that site, type in yahoo.com, and it pulls up the normal yahoo page instead of the mobile.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    She tried to get to www.kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book) and autotrader.com and couldn't get there. Is there something with those type of sites?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Often if the web pages have a lot of embedded java they will not load. Google mobile search also seems to have the ability to parse web pages.
    I went to kbb.com and couldn't use the website as intended because of java limitation within blazer, it didn't work in skweezer either.

So I went to kbb.com using opera mini, the java buttons worked, but Opera crashed my Treo. I tried again using Opera adn after selecting the year, the make category just says loading.

Autotrader using Opera, reset my Treo while trying to enter the zip code.
    Last edited by pool_shark; 04/20/2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I went to kbb.com and could use the website as intended because of java limitation within blazer, it didn't work in skweezer either.
    ...could or couldn't? It looks like the context of your comments disagrees with the word 'could'

So, I should tell her...
    ??sites that require you to input data (such as make and model number as the auto sites do) might cause problems?? ...is this correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    ...could or couldn't? It looks like the context of your comments disagrees with the word 'could'

So, I should tell her...
    ??sites that require you to input data (such as make and model number as the auto sites do) might cause problems?? ...is this correct?
    Yes, that was supposed to be couldn't.
    It appears to be the java within the pages. When it comes to the buttons, the Treo isn't very friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Hi there, I don't have a data plan (Verizon is too expensive and I sit in front to of a computer all day), so I don't use the web on my Treo. I advised a friend to purchase a Treo and she has the data plan (realtor who needs it for work), so I am advising her.
    She complains that she can't get to some sites. I don't understand the 'mobile web'. Are there sites that are designed for mobile users? Are some/most sites off limit to mobile users (presumably due to the size of the pages, etc.)?
    Any advice on what I should tell her?
    Thanks!
    A treo without a data plan. Maybe you should put a handicap sticker on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    A treo without a data plan. Maybe you should put a handicap sticker on it?
    Nice one.