1.    #1  
    Since the patch may be a "Long time coming" I'm posting some workarounds that may help some of you "LIMIT" your resets/bt problems on the 700p.

Note that we have over 50 deployed Treo 700p's (Sprint) and the ONLY third party software we have installed is:
    Chatter Email
    Google Maps
    Flight Status
    Opera Mini
    IBM Java VM

BLUE TOOTH PAIRING:

It appears that setting your bluetooth to "Visible" decreases the number of unpairing problems. NOTE: This is definitely a security risk.

As posted elsewhere on this site, pressing any number key on the treo while connected to BT headset will sometimes eliminate the static.

RESETS:
    We typically see the most resets when a user is on the phone and a call comes in over call waiting AND another application is attempting to use/connect/connected to the data network (i.e. chatter checking email). Setting chatter to check less frequently and use POP instead of IMAP has helped LIMIT the number of resets.

LAG TIME & SMS:
    Theres NOT much you can do for the lag time, but keeping your databases small seems to help. We set call history/log to purge 1 week, and urge users to delete their SMS messages upon reading them. Frequent syncs to Palm Desktop also help keep the DB's small.

Don't Touch VersaMail --- We have found that users using versamail, or even opening versamail once on their phone after initial setup -- have much more problems with LAG and Resets..

I hope this helps some users...
    It's pretty clear that Versamail on the 700P works perfectly well. I use it with two accounts and have no lag or resets. Apparently the issues were with older Treos.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Great post

Cure Resets
    If you have resets and want to try my cure (I went from one a day to one per month)

Here is how...
    • Go to Palm Desktop on your PC and export (file/export) your PIM Data (Calendar, Memos, Tasks and Contacts) to your PC's desktop.
    • Make sure you highlight all your contacts, memos and tasks or you will only be exporting the first entry. Save it to your desktop.
    • Create a New User in Palm Desktop
    • Import your PIM data from your PC's desktop
    • Hard Reset your Treo (700P)
      • Hold down the power (on/off) button on your device.
      • While holding down the power button, turn over your device so that you can see the back of it. Still holding the power button, remove the battery cover and use your stylus, to gently press (don't hold) the RESET hole on the back
      • When the logo appears, release the power button.
      • A message will appear warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your handheld.
      • Press the UP button to complete the hard reset, erasing everything on your device
      • Your device will then take you through a series of screens to calibrate the digitizer and verify the time and date.

Note: A hard reset restores settings to the factory default.
    • When you connect the Treo to your PC and it asks you which user you want to Hot Sync with, choose New User.
    • DON'T install any third party applications (except your back up program) for a week and see if the crashes go away.
    • Download new copies of applications from the web.
    • Slowly add in applications, install one every few days or weeks and check for stability.
    • Try to avoid applications that turn on, or off, the Treo (like TreoAlarm which automatically shuts off the phone, or EZReset which does a soft reset with a button press). I can't say for sure that these are toxic (they probably aren't), but why take a chance?
    • Every application has the potential to cause problems (IMHO). Ask yourself a question..."do I really need this application?". If so, install it. If you can live without it, don't install it. Why take chances? There are no awards given for the person whose Treo has the most really cool applications.

In addition...
    • ...be patient during lags. If your phone is searching for a network the buttons may not respond when you touch them. If you try to press the call button a few times during a lag you will crash your Treo.
    • ...be patient when Blue Tooth Headset is turning on and off. If you try to make a call when the BT headset is connecting to the Treo, you will crash it.

This is all learned from experience.
    I went from one or two crashes a day to one in the last month and a half.
    Of course...do this at your own risk!
    The logic is there is a corruption that gets saved to your Palm Desktop so a hard reset and hot sync to the existing user will only resurrect the problem.
    Give it a try!

Lag Times
    From my experience, lags are a result of the phone searching for a network. Even if you aren't mobile the phone can go in and out of network on a regular basis. I am not referring to the long delay some encounter. Rather a 2 or 3 second wait when you press buttons and nothing occurs. Be patient, it's only a few seconds.

Blue Tooth Lose Pairing Issues
    Never turn off Blue Tooth on your Treo (presumably to save battery power). I had problems where the headset would connect but voice wouldn't transmit. Now that I leave it on 24/7, I've not lost pairing in almost 9 months
    Last edited by haroldo; 04/20/2007 at 06:40 AM.
    here are a few more.....in blazer prefs set your limit for stored webpages to zero,clear your cookies and webcache manually and often,soft reset daily,and for bluetooth problems I believe thatit has been stated here often that the"treo wireless headset" made by palm(not the lightweight one)is known to work almost perfect with the 700.....i used 6 others before reading that info in these forums and since I got it I have had no issues with BT...its not the smallest or sleekest or most feature packed.....BUT IT WORKS!!!
    Excellent posts! Thanks guys.

I have about 60 700p Treos (Sprint) deployed in my company and have also find diligent purging of call logs, SMS and past calendar appointments helped improve the lag. Visible bluetooth setting has helped to improve reliability along with always-on bluetooth, but still hit and miss on this area.

I also limit the cache on Blazer to 2 MB and manually clear it regularly, that seems to decrease the lag when switching to-from Blazer - except when the phone is looking for a signal as correctly stated by Haroldo.

We use Versamail with a POP server configuration and have no significant problems...we have no need for push-type technology but set the autosync to 30-minutes. We also encourage everyone to delete old emails as soon as as feasable from the deleted folder and to back up saved ones to the server regularly.

EDIT: We also encourage "voluntary" soft-resets, daily - seems to be helpful in decreasing random reset problems.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/20/2007 at 10:29 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    ...We also encourage "voluntary" soft-resets, daily - seems to be helpful in decreasing random reset problems.
    Who knows? I used to get a ton of resets. I installed EZReset so I could do a daily reset. After cleaning out and starting over, I didn't load EZReset (or any other program that takes control, such as TreoAlarm). I also haven't done soft resets as often (maybe once a week). In the last 6 weeks, the number of crash/resets has gone down. I don't know if there is any connection, but I am not going to take any chances. Right now it is stable!
    Bluetooth Hotsunc
    There is no work around, I have to use a sync cable. Which , predictably, is killing the multi connector.

CJKOS
    Blazer doesn't load google mobile pages if CJKOS is enabled. I have to disable CJKOS most of the time.

QuickNews
    This app causes tons of crash. I always quit it by going to launcher first, never switch from Qnews to a different app directly.
    Last edited by whatever7; 04/20/2007 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Who knows? I used to get a ton of resets. I installed EZReset so I could do a daily reset. After cleaning out and starting over, I didn't load EZReset (or any other program that takes control, such as TreoAlarm). I also haven't done soft resets as often (maybe once a week). In the last 6 weeks, the number of crash/resets has gone down. I don't know if there is any connection, but I am not going to take any chances. Right now it is stable!
    Actually we also avoid this type of programs for similar reasons as you. I personally like to remove the battery for a minute or so in the morning and replace it, others have bought the replacement battery covers with the hole to make "stylus" resetting easier.

I practice daily soft-resets, I can't positively claim has solve all my issues but seems to improve my Treo's stability through the working day.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ...and I tried removing the battery (a few months ago) as a form of rebooting and had all sort of problems.
    Mine works and I aint gonna do anything different that I'm doing right now!
    ...and I tried removing the battery (a few months ago) as a form of rebooting and had all sort of problems.
    Mine works and I aint gonna do anything different that I'm doing right now!
    I wouldn't either if I were in your shoes. Thanks for sharing your fixes with us.

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I have switched back to VersaMail from ChatterEmail (which I have used since the days of Treo 650) for over 2 months now. I use VM for both Exchange push-emails (and auto-syncs Contacts and Calendars) and checking POP every 15 mins. No stability or performnace issues at all and I do get a lot of emails on both accounts.

For 'voluntary reset': I do a full nightly backup using NVBackup. I set it to reset the device after backup. So you folks may consider doing the same.

CJKOS: I agree there's no alternative. This is one sticky issue that may force me to jump ship to WM. I contacted the author multiple times and he even admitted that the problem still isn't solved with Treo 680!!! Yikes.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ...I didn't load EZReset (or any other program that takes control, such as TreoAlarm)...
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    ...For 'voluntary reset': I do a full nightly backup using NVBackup. I set it to reset the device after backup. So you folks may consider doing the same...
    I use NV but UNCHECKED this option when I started over.
    This option, while probably useful, was one that I feared might have been responsible for the crashes.
    I could be wrong, and TreoAlarm, EZReset and the reset option in NVBackup could all be benign, but I don't want to take any chances.
    Can't say what is responsible for my stability, but as long as it is stable, I'll keep it as it is.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I use NV but UNCHECKED this option when I started over.
    This option, while probably useful, was one that I feared might have been responsible for the crashes.
    All I can say about the NVBackup's reset feature is I've turned this feature on for a few months already and it has no impact on stability. Use it at your own discretion. The version of NVBackup that I use is 1.15.

I believe haroldo's device is relatively stable because he doesn't use web on his Treo. I noticed that if I get in and out of Blazer a lot, the "Max Alloc" in DBCacheTool would drop a lot and when it hovers around 3MB, my unit is 'guaranteed' to reset. That's another reason I rely on the nightly auto-reset so that the DBCache comes back to normal every morning.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Actually we also avoid this type of programs for similar reasons as you. I personally like to remove the battery for a minute or so in the morning and replace it, others have bought the replacement battery covers with the hole to make "stylus" resetting easier.

I practice daily soft-resets, I can't positively claim has solve all my issues but seems to improve my Treo's stability through the working day.
    As stated, since resetting, I've avoided manual resets or the automated one in NVBackup. After reading your posts I decided to to a soft reset and I also changed NVBackup to reboot after the 1AM backup.
    Guess what?
    I got a crash during a call yesterday...the first during a call (I've had other that I 'caused') since I did the hard reset.
    Coincidence?
    Who knows?
    I set NVBackup to NOT automatically reboot and I am not going to do any soft resets any time soon.
    As stated, since resetting, I've avoided manual resets or the automated one in NVBackup. After reading your posts I decided to to a soft reset and I also changed NVBackup to reboot after the 1AM backup.
    Guess what?
    I got a crash during a call yesterday...the first during a call (I've had other that I 'caused') since I did the hard reset.
    Coincidence?
    Who knows?
    I set NVBackup to NOT automatically reboot and I am not going to do any soft resets any time soon.
    Sorry about that, was not my intention to have you do this...if ani't broke, well you know the rest.

I have noticed substantial variability between Treos, we have some that are more stable and functional than others...most of the time with the same software and in the same network. I suspect issues with production quality control may account for this disparity.

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Nah, no problem. I just thought it funny and a bit too coincidental!