Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, it is a few weeks early for this question but why not.

I can go back to Sprint and argue with them and based on my usage get a very good deal on a 755p. Just the Bluetooth issues I've had should accomplish that based on my past success. However, I will then be using a 755p for at least a year and a half.

My other option is to wait and hope the 700p patch fixes all my issues and then I will be clear to buy a new Plinux Treo this winter.

I love Linux. I am typing this message on Linux right now. Fantastic OS. I can't wait to use a Linux Treo and have wanted them to go this way for two years!!!

However, who wants to be the first guinea pig for Palm's new Linux? Think there will be any bugs??

I guess my thoughts are to keep the 700p till June, see what the MR does and if the 700p still has a bunch of issues, go 755p (as long as it works....). If not, keep the 700p and watch the Linux Treo (Lineo? Trenux?)

I can promise after living through the first few months of the 650 and the first 12 months of the 700p I will NOT be the first in line for the Trenux.

How about you?
    Within the 1st hour, I will have my 900P.
    Based on my past experience with sprint if I ***** again about my phone since I have had it replaced a few times (for valid points) they will offer to buy back the phone and give me a credit to use on any new phone. But I will wait until the patch before I call sprint...

But I will say yesterday my phone reset 3 times from text messaging. And thus far it has reset once from texting today.. Usually it just freezes and says "sending message" but lately when that happens the Palm logo will appear and it takes a long time for the phone to start back up.
    Here it is:

1. "If I buy a 755p, I am a guinea pig."

2. "If I buy the New Fabulous Linux Treo, I am a guinea pig."

Advice: buy a 650!
  5.    #5  
    Perry,

Wouldn't that be a 900L?
    I just said it in another thread herL I want it to be called the treo 802.11p, I think we should officially start calling it that here instead of a 900p, because we should really drive the point home that this will need to have WiFi.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob View Post
    Well, it is a few weeks early for this question but why not.

I can go back to Sprint and argue with them and based on my usage get a very good deal on a 755p. Just the Bluetooth issues I've had should accomplish that based on my past success. However, I will then be using a 755p for at least a year and a half.

My other option is to wait and hope the 700p patch fixes all my issues and then I will be clear to buy a new Plinux Treo this winter.
    Either way you will be Palm's Guinea Pig...so your options include:

1. If your problems with the 700 are not critical, then try the patch and skip the 755. Then get Perry's 900L when it becomes available in a year or so.

2. If your 700 problems are critical, still try the patch, see how it helps and then decide if the 755 makes financial sense. Then get Perry's 900L when it becomes financially feasible in a year or so.

3. If you have so much problems Palm is no longer a solution to consider, then there are plenty of choices from several carriers that may bridge the gap between now and then.

I for one will apply the patch, skip the 755 and grab Perry's 900L next year after three to six months of user experience. Linux being a more open source phylosophy, I suspect we will become less dependant on Palm's support to resolve the expected system bugs the new device may have.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I just said it in another thread herL I want it to be called the treo 802.11p, I think we should officially start calling it that here instead of a 900p, because we should really drive the point home that this will need to have WiFi.
    I don't want WiFi. Hopefully it'll come in two flavors.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I don't want WiFi. Hopefully it'll come in two flavors.
    I don't understand why people are resistant to wifi on a treo. Is it because of battery drain if it is then how much harder is it for u to carry around a extra battery or keep an extra charger at work to top off before you leave (i know u have more than one). I know people aren't worried on whether or not they'll hit a free hotspot. I live in newyork and as I walk down the street when I had my lifedrive I had signals kicking in every couple of feet. I work in an industrial section of hunts point and I received signals with no starbucks in sight. Don't you want internet access on ur treo that you don't have pay an additional fee for. Wouldn't you like the convience of using ur treo as a modem for ur laptop if for some reason you can't get an EVDO/UMTS signal and not have to worry about ur contract being voided because your "unlimited internet plan" isn't really unlimited. I understand when people say it doesn't help them when there is no signal where and when that off chance comes up that they'll need it but what about the times when it would be great to be able to use it. I'm enjoying my SERO plan with "unlimited" web access, but what about when my contract runs out and sprint tells me in order for me to get web access on my locked to their service phone that I have to pony up another $30 a month.
    SORRY...not trying to change the subject...But
  10.    #10  
    Ok, stop highjacking my thread.

Can we get back to complaining about two Treos that haven't been launched yet?

hehe
    The Linux Treo won't come out until next year.

Happy waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by json View Post
    I don't understand why people are resistant to wifi on a treo. Is it because of battery drain if it is then how much harder is it for u to carry around a extra battery or keep an extra charger at work to top off before you leave (i know u have more than one). I know people aren't worried on whether or not they'll hit a free hotspot. I live in newyork and as I walk down the street when I had my lifedrive I had signals kicking in every couple of feet. I work in an industrial section of hunts point and I received signals with no starbucks in sight. Don't you want internet access on ur treo that you don't have pay an additional fee for. Wouldn't you like the convience of using ur treo as a modem for ur laptop if for some reason you can't get an EVDO/UMTS signal and not have to worry about ur contract being voided because your "unlimited internet plan" isn't really unlimited. I understand when people say it doesn't help them when there is no signal where and when that off chance comes up that they'll need it but what about the times when it would be great to be able to use it. I'm enjoying my SERO plan with "unlimited" web access, but what about when my contract runs out and sprint tells me in order for me to get web access on my locked to their service phone that I have to pony up another $30 a month.
    SORRY...not trying to change the subject...But
    I believe this is the point of the "two flavors" request...different strokes for different folks.

Ok, stop highjacking my thread.

Can we get back to complaining about two Treos that haven't been launched yet?

hehe
    I thought we were already talking about non-existent Treos (aka Perry's 900P) and yet to materialize ROM patches (aka Palm Vaporfixware)

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by json View Post
    I don't understand why people are resistant to wifi on a treo. Don't you want internet access on ur treo that you don't have [to] pay an additional fee for?
    1. I am with sprint so my unlimited Power Vision pack is very good and suits ny needs/wants perfectly.
    2. Wifi isn't that big a deal to me--that's one reason I keep my Dell Axim x51v(wm5) ppc around for the rare occasions I use it.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Now back to your **normal** sponsored thread topic perry_rob !!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Does anyone know for sure if the older Palm OS programs will work on the new Linux/Palm OS? I'd sure hate to have to buy a bunch of new progs. Also, I hope they don't abandon the SD card for the mini/micro SD.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    I hope they don't abandon the SD card for the mini/micro SD.
    Ill be stocking up on 650's and 700's. I see this as one of those two step orward one step back. Forcing us to buy new cards that won't drop in price for a while meanwhile regular sd and sdhc are running at equivalent prices with double the space.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    Does anyone know for sure if the older Palm OS programs will work on the new Linux/Palm OS? I'd sure hate to have to buy a bunch of new progs. Also, I hope they don't abandon the SD card for the mini/micro SD.
    In regard to the compatibility, from what I've read here and elsewhere, is likely to be backwards compatible with most modern POS applications (perhaps those ported to ARM instruction sets?). I expect many programs will need to be re-written at some time to take full advantage of the new features offered by the Linux OS itself...updates to existing programs are bound to be offered to registered users for a nominal upgrade fee.

In regards to the SD, I see a manufacturing trend towards the adoption of the mini and micro SD cards on current and future devices. This is certainly a major inconvenience for those with heavy SD cards investement today, but may open the door for more compact form factors in the future.

Keeping the 700p til it croaks..patch or no patch.

As for waiting for the linux version to be out months and refusing to be a beta tester again? That's not me. I'll have it asap unless there's something out there that is better. As will most current 700p users on TC. Face it, it's what we do..lol And besides being very helpful you will complain. Again. This is also what we do..

I think it needs to involve much faster evdo, or much better screen no matter the OS though to entice me.

The 755p isn't worth glancing at if you have the 700p and it works well enough for you IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    Perry,

Wouldn't that be a 900L?
    No, a 900P(erry)
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Keeping the 700p til it croaks..patch or no patch.
    Me too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast