1.    #1  
    What are your favorite launchers? For that matter, what launchers would you NOT recommend?
    Silver Screen is what I'm using now. I love it!

I've also used Commander for the security reasons. That was really good also.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams
    I second Silver Screen.

pluses:
    *Drag and drop to a "hidden" tool bar
    *2 Customizeable buttons
    *Favorite/Recent Apps list (in case McPhillig isn't enough for ya)
    *Cool look, customizeable icons
    *Stable, Stable, Stable.

Minuses:
    *It lacks tabs
    *It lacks beefy security functionality
    *It is kinda slow sometimes (esp. after hotsync).
    I always liked Launcher III. It kept the simplicity of the default launcher, but uses tabs across the top of the screen for the different categories. Also, if you an in an application and tap the "Apps" button (the little house), it takes you to the launcher, but another tap of the "Apps" button takes you BACK INTO the application you just came out of. I got used to a couple of quick taps to go out of an app, look at the time, and go back in (before I started using ClockHack, anyway).

I had to stop using it, however, when I got my 8MB Flash Springboard. The problem occured with the categories. I would arrange all of the app icons in their little tabs, and the ones on the Springboard had the little dot indicating they were on the card, but when I would remove and re-insert the card, all of the apps on the card went right back to "Unfiled". If they could fix that so it would remember the categories, I would be right back on the Launcher III bandwagon.

For what it's worth, none of the third party launchers I have tried remember the categories, such as Silverscreen and GoBar. If someone knows of one that does, please, for the love of Mike, post it's name!
    Soul Raven - "Små hjerne, stor glæde"
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    I use Silverscreen and it always remembers the categories when I switch my modules around. I have never had to refile my icons. Hmmm....
    When it comes to launchers, Launch 'Em is the class of the field. It's stable, and the level of customization is great. Better still, the Gadgets that you can install make things like deleting apps, beaming, changing security settings, etc. very easy.

Silver Screen looks pretty nice but I think that switching between app categories is far easier with Launch 'Em. Launcher III, also nice, has also been bested by Launch 'Em; in addition to bug fixes Launch 'Em has many many more features.

Launch 'Em App Hack, designed to complement the functionality of Launch 'Em, works great and is extremely handy for fast App switching.

- Dave
    Last edited by ThomsoD; 04/17/2001 at 03:38 PM.
    "If you don't chase Perfection, you'll never have a chance to catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
    Another vote for Launch 'Em. I tried a few others including Silver Screen (briefly) but Launch 'Em is the one for me.

I'm pretty sure that all the pluses dietrichbohn listed for Silver are true of Launch 'Em. Also it's got tabs and it's never slow. It does however lack security as far as I know.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    There was a new version of LauncherIII released lately.

It supposedly works better with the Springboard memory.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Besides being a great launcher, Launch 'Em 3.0 remembers Springboard app categories.
    Talldog
    Originally posted by Talldog
    Besides being a great launcher, Launch 'Em 3.0 remembers Springboard app categories.
    I have asked the author of Launcher III 2.0 to add this feature. He said that he will definitely look into it. I had made some other requests of him and hope to see some of those implemented soon...
    Launcher 3.0 Beta 11... oops, did I say there was a beta out?
    Launchem Rocks period.
    Originally posted by Soul Raven
    For what it's worth, none of the third party launchers I have tried remember the categories, such as Silverscreen and GoBar. If someone knows of one that does, please, for the love of Mike, post it's name!
    Supposedly...if you exit the launcher before removing and/or replacing the module, the categories will be remembered in Silver Screen.

Might work with other launchers....
    Originally posted by ThomsoD
    Silver Screen looks pretty nice but I think that switching between app categories is far easier with Launch 'Em.
    I actually use CategoryHack so I can change categories by just writing the letter of the category.

Easy as pie!
    Mark another vote down for Launcher III. I love its clean, uncluttered interface--much better than Launch'Em, IMO--and it has all the functionality I need. I'd use it even if it wasn't freeware.

Ok. So I think that I like Launch 'Em 3.0b11 better than silverscreen.

But get this:

I install Launch 'Em w/out deleting silver & its associated files. I notice that in 4 grey mode on my VDX it shows the icons as the Custom ones I chose in Silver!!

Cool, I decide.

Then I decide that while it's cool, it's not amazingly important, so I go ahead and delete the icon db's along with the rest of Silver. I check in Z'Catalog, everything's gone

...But the icons don't change, they stay the same in 4 grey mode...

Where are these icons coming from? Why does Launch 'Em recognize them? Can I customize (big) icons in Launch 'Em like I can in SilverScreen?

I am confused.

Help!
    SilverScreen appears to actually modifies the .prc files and changes their defined app icons. Those gray scale icons are now probably now stored in the .prc files. If SS isn't running, my guess is that the next time you update those apps, you will lose the alternate icons.
    Originally posted by bnystrom
    SilverScreen appears to actually modifies the .prc files and changes their defined app icons. Those gray scale icons are now probably now stored in the .prc files. If SS isn't running, my guess is that the next time you update those apps, you will lose the alternate icons.
    They don't go away when I hotsync...

I had to reinstall AvantGo today, its greyscale icon went away...

When I switch from grey to b&w, the icons switch too. You're right, SS must edit the .prc file. It must add some sort of "If display is 4 bit, show this icon, if display is b&w, show that icon."

Now.. Is there a way to play with this data w/out SilverScreen?