Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    these long standing issues have been a source of consternation to "power users" who expect their premium-priced device to function as well as less-powerful "feature phones," which now are often able to play MP3s and communicate via Bluetooth with no problems.
    I've heard rumors of them...lol. They are the ones upset. But let's define what one is.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=40 (06/19/2006 quote):

POWER USER:

Somone that knows what the blinking asterisk or golden bell thingie is.
    Kidding.

Actually, that is a very good question. I personally consider it someone:

1. That is well versed in (and heavily uses) all the Treo's on board and in the box features and software,

2. Installs and uses 3rd party software,

3. Has a Custom ROM or knows how to do one or other hacks,

4. Uses a thrid party launcher, (to place programs on a SD card)

5. Uses a backup program besides HotSync.

These are my loose criteria. I qualify on #2 and #5 and mostly on #1, but I do not use all of the Treo's base functionality heavily. (Text Messaging, for one.) So, on a Power User scale of 1 to 10 -- I place myself around a 5 to a 6. Now on the Treo 650 I found -- that owner was probably a 0.5 on a Power User scale of 1 to 10.

Shadowmite is a 25 on this 1 to 10 scale just solely on his abilities on #3, have no idea where he falls on the other 4 criteria, but that really doesn't matter.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/19/2007 at 07:10 AM.
  3.    #3  
    I should've known..lol
    me
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Someone who uses it for more than just a phone and address book. I guess anyone reading these forums would qualify as a power user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Power my ***.
    There you go, talkin' about your *** again...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=40 (06/19/2006 quote):

POWER USER:

Somone that knows what the blinking asterisk or golden bell thingie is.
    Kidding.

Actually, that is a very good question. I personally consider it someone:

1. That is well versed in (and heavily uses) all the Treo's on board and in the box features and software,

2. Installs and uses 3rd party software,

3. Has a Custom ROM or knows how to do one or other hacks,

4. Uses a thrid party launcher, (to place programs on a SD card)

5. Uses a backup program besides HotSync.

These are my loose criteria. I qualify on #2 and #5 and mostly on #1, but I do not use all of the Treo's base functionality heavily. (Text Messaging, for one.) So, on a Power User scale of 1 to 10 -- I place myself around a 5 to a 6. Now on the Treo 650 I found -- that owner was probably a 0.5 on a Power User scale of 1 to 10.

Shadowmite is a 25 on this 1 to 10 scale just solely on his abilities on #3, have no idea where he falls on the other 4 criteria, but that really doesn't matter.

Cheers, Perry.
    That's a pretty darn good description of a power user. I do all except the custom rom.
    I qualify by all Perry's standards, but not by Cardfan's as I am not upset
    Whats so wrong with HotSync that it needs replacing?
    Why do we need to have a Custom ROM?
    I guess I'm a power user wanna be.
    Do I not get credit for Slingbox, Ripping and Compressing movies down to 200meg and doing 100% of my finances and stock trading?
    Same here, I'm with all them
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    Whats so wrong with HotSync that it needs replacing?
    Why do we need to have a Custom ROM?
    I guess I'm a power user wanna be.
    Do I not get credit for Slingbox, Ripping and Compressing movies down to 200meg and doing 100% of my finances and stock trading?
    I rip and compress mine to 180mb...does that mean I'm more powerful than you??
    Being upset is not a needed qualifier for a "power-user" - I hope!

My upset feeling (and I suspect others as well) do not come from the T700p itself - as it stands now is very useful but, as all complex devices, has deficiencies that keep it from reaching it's full potential.

Is the lack of company support by systematically denying the existance of such deficiencies and unwillingness to address those in a timely fashion that has left some of us with a bitter feeling of abandonment.

The MR will come, the device experience will improve to some extent and the anger will eventually fade. Things will return to normal, but for now, venting our frustration is a good cathartic experience.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I have no idea what you are talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I rip and compress mine to 180mb...does that mean I'm more powerful than you??
    Not sure, but I was impressed with your post in "partial birth abortion". I compress down to slighly under 200meg so I can do the math easier when figuring out how many will fit on the SD card.

I also like your avatar. Kind of a teenage version of Natasha from Bullwinkle thing going on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    Not sure, but I was impressed with your post in "partial birth abortion". I compress down to slighly under 200meg so I can do the math easier when figuring out how many will fit on the SD card.

I also like your avatar. Kind of a teenage version of Natasha from Bullwinkle thing going on there.
    Thank you, it was a tough one to write...

Now I've been compared to Natasha and Jessica Rabbit...she's Asian guys! Get it right!!
    Deleted posts, gotta love 'em.

(Must have been after post #7)
    A Power User is:

-Someone who works hard at keeping some free RAM on his Treo
    -Someone who has tried more than one BT headset on his Treo and found out that it fails no matter what
    -Someone who was able to chat, browse the web and received push email while listening to music on the background on his Treo. This pretty much sounds like the Treo 650 'cause the 700p is jacked up.

Who is not a Power User?
    -Someone who has never installed a third party software on his Treo.
    -Someone who didn't know you could stream video on his Treo.
    -Someone who doesn't know what push email is.
    -Someone who didn't know that you could use mp3s as a ring tone.
    -Someone who never backup his Treo
    -Someone who doesn't have an SD card on his Treo.
    -Someone who asks what a Power User is

Al
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    besides the things mentioned above I would add a Power User is some one who looks to their Treo as partial replacement of a laptop.

I do a lot of video work and have tried to use the Treo as a hand held demo of commercials I have in edit. I have 2-3 meg spots sent to me and show them to clients or review myself on my Treo.

I receive about 200 emails a day and use Docs to Go to make small edits to memos and spreadsheets.

I have a iPOD so I have never used it to play music BUT I do use it to listen to streamed radio broadcasts.

I think a Power User is some one who does more then adds 3rd party programs or has the courage to do a ROM replacment.

You have to actually push the envelope of the Treo's ability to handle incoming and outgoing information.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Thank you, it was a tough one to write...

Now I've been compared to Natasha and Jessica Rabbit...she's Asian guys! Get it right!!
    Didnt mean to start an epidemic...!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    A Power User is:

-Someone who works hard at keeping some free RAM on his Treo
    -Someone who has tried more than one BT headset on his Treo and found out that it fails no matter what
    -Someone who was able to chat, browse the web and received push email while listening to music on the background on his Treo. This pretty much sounds like the Treo 650 'cause the 700p is jacked up.

Who is not a Power User?
    -Someone who has never installed a third party software on his Treo.
    -Someone who didn't know you could stream video on his Treo.
    -Someone who doesn't know what push email is.
    -Someone who didn't know that you could use mp3s as a ring tone.
    -Someone who never backup his Treo
    -Someone who doesn't have an SD card on his Treo.
    -Someone who asks what a Power User is

Al
    This is a pretty good basis for distinction! To that, I would add that you wouldnt have to use every function, but you rely on at least two non-PIM or phone functions the Treo can provide. Not everyone has to use all of the functions to rely on the Treo's PDA functions in order to be classified a Power User!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast