1.    #1  
    Why would Palm create a blog in the midst of all the online bedlam about the 700p maintenance release?

Did they really not think that this was the feedback they would be receiving?

I don't get it.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    They're masochists, apparently.
    given the start they can only go up. How's that for positive spin?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    People complained that there was no communication.
    Now there is communication.
    People complained there was no update.
    Now we know there will be one in a month.
    What they did was great.
    They are giving the community what it wants.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    People complained that there was no communication.
    Now there is communication.
    People complained there was no update.
    Now we know there will be one in a month.
    No offense intended Haroldo, but I would not call the Palm Blog "communication". Unless of course you consider one-way corporate-speak laced with obfuscation "communcation".

To my way of thinking, communication means they not only talk, but also listen and respond. According to this (good read, by the way, highly reccommended) post at Palminfocenter forums, Sinclair refused repeated requests for interviews over recent months regarding these issues. Thus far the comments section of their blog has been little more than venting space. There has been no response otherwise. In fact, given the volume of the response, it looks like they are tuning much of it out.

Also, not to split hairs, but we don't actually know what that update will actually deliver. All we have is the "promise of a delivery date" that is far beyond anything we were previously told. People have a right to be pissed about that.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I don't know, to me they are communicating to us and listening to us.....we are getting and update. Is any other response needed?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Speaking only for myself, it is too little, and far too late. They made a conscious decision to avoid doing or saying anything about the 700p for a long time.

If they were genuninely interested in communicating with us, they should be doing more than just giving us excuses.
  8.    #8  
    I understand that a blog helps with communication and I do think that it's a good step on Palm's behalf; however, the timeing is far from impeccable.

If they have waited this long, why not wait a little longer until the commotion about the MR dies down?

Palm was asking to get flammed on this one.

I do realize that customers always have something to complain about with Palm; however, the 700p issue has such a large backing to begin with and was sure to be spammed all over the blog.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BentEcho View Post
    Why would Palm create a blog in the midst of all the online bedlam about the 700p maintenance release?

Did they really not think that this was the feedback they would be receiving?

I don't get it.
    Does no good deed go unpunished? We all *****ed constantly for any word about the MR, for any acknowledgment that we exist and that we matter. We finally got it and you complain? STFU.

I really doubt that Palm cares about the feedback. It's nothing that hasn't been posted 654684767168767657 times on at least a dozen different boards.

There isn't much to be happy about in that blog but at least we can stop refreshing palm.com like the cocaine monkey looking for an update, well, at least until 5/28.
    If Palm waits until a "good" time to launch the blog, they would never launch.

<comment to Palm, Inc. employee lurkers>

If Palm Inc. (and Steve Sinclair) are sane they'll keep their heads down, keep working, keep answering questions, and do the best they can. In time the vitriol will dissipate. Just tell the truth and say "sorry" if you goof up. Most people are pretty forgiving if you try to make amends. Remember the 3 "B's" for public speaking: be honest, be brief, and be seated. Follow that advice in your interactions with us. Tell the truth, cut out the PRPRPR-$talk$, $and$ $then$ $be$ $quiet$ $and$ $listen$.

If Palm can deliver the maintenance release as promised when promised they will do much to repair their credibility.

Advice to Palm Inc.: www.cluetrain.com, buddy, www.cluetrain.com. You're doing it. Keep at it. Why not try this--talk about the maintenance release between now and its release--what's going on, etc. etc. as it goes through carrier testing and internal poking and prodding. Dead silence followed by virgin birth on May 28 is a risky strategy.

Talk to us. We (mostly) love you.

ps: "Talk" is stuff like TC or HoFo or other forums. "Talk" is showing up in the flesh at user groups. "Talk" is like when Bob-C got a letter back. Dialog. Blog post/comment response on your own corporate site is glorified letter to the editor stuff. Not really dialog. At least not for me.

</comment to Palm, Inc. employee lurkers>
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    excellent post, Tasty.
    The Blog is a PRPRPR $maneuver$ $as$ $I$ $see$ $it$, $however$, $to$ $their$ $credit$ $I$ $am$ $pleasantly$ $surprised$ $at$ $all$ $the$ $negative$ $comments$ $they$ $have$ $allowed$ $to$ $slip$ $into$ $the$ $response$ $section$.

As posted above, they really need to start a dialog with their users. If they really want one place to do that, then have an employee(s) post a response in the blog comment section from time to time, if for no other reason than to let us know they are really listening.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    The Blog is a PRPRPR $maneuver$ $as$ $I$ $see$ $it$, $however$, $to$ $their$ $credit$ $I$ $am$ $pleasantly$ $surprised$ $at$ $all$ $the$ $negative$ $comments$ $they$ $have$ $allowed$ $to$ $slip$ $into$ $the$ $response$ $section$.

As posted above, they really need to start a dialog with their users. If they really want one place to do that, then have an employee(s) post a response in the blog comment section from time to time, if for no other reason than to let us know they are really listening.
    Exactly. When I see a blog owner post in the comments I know he/she is really listening and interacting with his/her community.
    I will wait until the update is out, I will load it up, see what it does and then comment. Until then, I am going back to snowflake posts.

Cheers, Perry.
    Where is the snowflake on my 700wx?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Where is the snowflake on my 700wx?

Did it morph into a golden bell thingie?
    Oh. The liberty bell thing. Where is Benjamin Franklin?
    Tasty, excellent advice. I would love to see Palm execute on your suggested strategy. == Bob

EDIT: I added a comment in Palm's blog to your post #10 above. (I want to make sure they see it ASAP.)
    Last edited by sudoer; 04/18/2007 at 09:54 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    This is good news, indeed.

Albeit, they had to first disprove the "no news is good news" theory.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!