Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Ok, not really, but it seemed like a fitting title for this post. And before saying anything else, I realize that many forum members are tired of all the bellyaching about the 700p (certainly I have done my share) but I am interested in what others facing a similar situation will do.

Like many others, I've been loyal to Palm and Handspring for a long time. The 700p has been a disappointing experience for me, and when I look at what is in the pipeline over the next 8 to 12 months (an update that may or may not resolve issues, the 755p, and the mythical Linux based models to come after it), I am underwhelmed. Chattermail and Opera are great, but I suffered through with Versamail and Blazer for the majority of the time I have had my 700p. Moreover, I had to pretty much give up on using my BT headset when I upgraded from my 650. For months I was nonplussed as to why my Palm BT headset would unpair itself, and eventually I just gave up.

So, the question becomes, where to go from here? I am a Mac user; I long ago dumped Now Contact for Mac Address Book and iCal (Thank goodness for Missing Sync!).

The iPhone, despite the speculation and only having EDGE data, looks very appealing to me. If it is anything like the other Apple products I own it could serve me well for a very long time. It occurs to me I could have Mac native syncing for the first time since I owned a Newton! I did not use my Palm devices much for media, but with the iPhone's capabilities I could see myself using it much more. (I own a 20G ipod, but never use it). Having WiFi sure would be nice.

All this said, I am on the road a lot, and the way I actually use my Treo is much more akin to the BlackBerry functionaility: 80% of my use is push email and telephony. The 8800 series looks pretty nice, and the price points are lower.

And yes, I read about BB network being down today....

I just thought of another title to this post:

"Which Steve to give your hard earned money to?" Is the head guy at RIM also named Steve? (Ok I just realized the CEO of Palm is Ed Colligan, but I digress...)

All this being a very roundabout way of saying that quite soon my 700p and all the goodies (2 cradles, extra Seido batt, Sena Case, etc.) will be up on eBay.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by eodell; 04/18/2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    can I get the posting url? I am willing to give the MR a shot and my wife would love to upgrade her 650.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    You got it. Send me a PM and I will let you know when it goes up.
    pics of the dumpsters?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    yes!
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Uhmm I have a dumpster near my house. I can pay for you to ship it out to me and then I will place it in the dumpster for you and take some pictures for your satisfaction....
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Great. Shipping is $400, flat rate. :-)
    Actually, fill the dumpster up with Treo's & have delivered to the Palm Headquarters
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Make sure to put it in Steve Sinclair or Ed Colligan's parking space.
    Hey, you can always go out and buy a Win Mobile device. 5 minutes with it and you will be longing for your old 700p.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Nah. I would go BB before that.
    I too will be dumping my treo in the trash. I am on my second. What would be a good replacement for a 700p? Some of us are stuck with the networks we are in. I, personally, have a great discount with Sprint through my business. Also, I tether hacked it and use it with my Nokia N800, when bluetooth works. What else is comparable? What else can I use to BT Dun freely :-( EVDO is a must. Or should I not derail this thread and make my own?
    Quote Originally Posted by racerxtremely View Post
    I too will be dumping my treo in the trash. I am on my second. What would be a good replacement for a 700p? Some of us are stuck with the networks we are in. I, personally, have a great discount with Sprint through my business. Also, I tether hacked it and use it with my Nokia N800, when bluetooth works. What else is comparable? What else can I use to BT Dun freely :-( EVDO is a must. Or should I not derail this thread and make my own?
    Samsung phones usually have a menu feature to disable NAI not sure about other sprint models. I think the smart thing to do is to wait another year. By that time we'll be able to see what Palm's linux is like and the iphone will be more mature and no longer under exclusivity with cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    Hey, you can always go out and buy a Win Mobile device. 5 minutes with it and you will be longing for your old 700p.

Wow those are some true words.

I thought I hated my 700p until I used a 700wx for a couple of hours. Now my 700p and I are the bestest of friends.
    After using my wife's 650 yesterday I'm thinking my upgrade path goes 650 (late lamented) --> 700wx (current) --> 650 (hello again).
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Anybody gone to a crackberry and then back to the 700p? I came perilously close to buying an 8800 today.