Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I don't use it on my Vista machine yet. But as I understand it people are having luck with the 32 bit version- With the 64 bit version, not so much...
    I returned my 64bit machine for a 32 (actually its still a 64 bit machine running a 32 bit os).
    will post if I have any better results.
    Vista Ulitmate sucks
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    I returned my 64bit machine for a 32 (actually its still a 64 bit machine running a 32 bit os).
    will post if I have any better results.
    Vista Ulitmate sucks
    Just picked up a 64 bit machine 32 bit OS myself. Havent had time to play with the palm portion of it yet. I'll post my findings also
    I just got a brand new Dell with Vista pre installed- I installed the Palm Desktop software and did a hot sync, I had no issues......
    I think it's worth putting this into perspective. First, there are lists of apps that don't work right on Vista. I can think of half a dozen without really thinking hard. Vista implements a radically new security backend that causes issues with many apps. Second, Hotsync on Vista mostly works just fine. I use Vista daily. The only thing that doesn't work is the Quickinstall app, which isn't that big of a deal. To install prc files, simply email them to yourself.

Bottom line is Hotsync does work on Vista. Palm is no different than many other third party vendors.

Greg
    <<Vista Ulitmate sucks>>

Actually, i think its much better. While i don't appreciate that it runs certain apps a bit slower, XP was much the same way at first. It picked up overtime as drivers improved.

The only app that i've had problems with is Adobe Acrobat 7. I upgraded to 8 which still has some issues..such as printing to pdf using IE. But they're coming out with patches soon.

The latest version of symantec corp antivirus works well.

Sound drivers are hit and miss. And nvidia's video drivers still in beta.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I'm using Vista Ultimate (just got it on a new laptop about 2 weeks ago). For me, things are running very well. It seems that any time I mention to someone I got a new Vista machine they either groan or say that Vista stinks or that the purchase was a bad idea.

I've had/have almost no issues with Vista. Outlook 2007 e-mail and IE7 work great, as does the rest of Office 2007. Vista operates plenty fast on the laptop and the new visual effects of Aero look awesome!

As far as Palm goes, HotSyncing with my 700P (Sprint) worked great on the first try. I don't use Palm desktop (I sync to Outlook). When I installed Palm desktop (fom the CD) it hung on the spash screen. I downloaded Palm desktop from Palm Inc.'s web site and it loaded and ran fine. I also went to Palm's website and installed the Outloook 2007 update before I synced and it worked perfectly; no problems syncing with Outlook at all.

I use PalmVista Simple Installer found here (PalmVista Simple Installer)to quicksync files...it works great (follow link, scroll to bottom of the page.

The only real issue I have is that I can't USB tether the 700P as a modem to connect the laptop to the Internet with the Treo. I am forced to use bluetooth DUN instead of the USB cable, which works fine BTW.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been problems moving to Vista for some people but I haven't found Vista to be a problem or a bad purchase.

I was able to get things up and running very smoothly very quickly. For me it's a great OS.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    O.K. I just Installed a file. First here is the proof
    HotSync operation started for <> on 05/02/07 10:33:59

- Installed file: C:\Program Files\palmOne\<>\Install\Butler_Beta_4.10.prc
    Here is how I did it
    Launch InstApp.exe
    http://imajr.com/th/Instapp_33874.JPG
    It will open a screen like the one below, add the files you would like to synch (it even gives you an option t osynch to the card, hit done and initiate hotsync
    http://imajr.com/th/InstallTool_33875.JPG

So everytime you would like to install an app launch Instapp and add the files you would like to sync

OR better yet

You can change the default program for prc files to instapp in the windows default program manager.
    Enjoy

P.S. I am using WinVista Ultimate and the device is connected using Seidio Cradle, the QuickInstall (the original default program) never worked with vista for me.
    Last edited by gt5l; 05/02/2007 at 09:52 AM.
    Treoing & Loving it
    my new notebook is blue tooth enabled, anyway to install apps via bluetooth rather than palm quick install?
    I'll say it again... I have Brand New Laptop with vista and outlook 2007 and treoo 700p... Quick Install and Hotsync via USB or Bluetooth connections all WORK perfectly... I just installed the recommended minitones.prc. through quick install via bluetooth and am now able to create ringtones...

good luck!
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    Quote Originally Posted by J0V3 View Post
    I'll say it again... I have Brand New Laptop with vista and outlook 2007 and treoo 700p
    Well you're the only one it seems. What version of Palm Desktop is it that you have? 4.1.4 for my Sprint Treo 700p doesn't work.
    Mine is 4.1.4...
    Is your PC new with vista pre-installed?
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    I'm going to try installing an app via both bluetooth and usb. first I have to find one worth putting on my treo...

I will report back....
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well you're the only one it seems. What version of Palm Desktop is it that you have? 4.1.4 for my Sprint Treo 700p doesn't work.
    I reinstalled and got the Hot Sync to work(Hp Tablet PC from Sam's Club). I do not think that Vista is "Prime Time" yet
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Vista is completely ready for prime time. It's the lazy/greedy/incompetent peripheral manufacturers who either dragged their feet on writing decent Vista drivers and/or want to use the XP-->Vista transition period as a convenient excuse to abandon their older hardware and force everyone to buy new devices.

There are new peripherals (possibly even the whole Palm lineup) on store shelves (especially printers & scanners) that do not have Vista drivers available and likely never will. It's not like no one knew Vista was eventually going to supercede XP!
    well my quick install doesn't work either with a usb or bluetooth connection....

now I have to PAY for a download so I can install apps on my phone??

that's awesome!/sarcasm
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    well my quick install doesn't work either with a usb or bluetooth connection....

now I have to PAY for a download so I can install apps on my phone??

that's awesome!/sarcasm
    I just got my Vista Home Premium lappy set up with Palm's Outlook conduits and desktop mgr installed and have the same issue. however I connected to my 700p with Card Reader vs 1.0.4 and am able to load programs by draggin and dropping to the card vis usb cable. I am also waiting for my code from palm vista simple installer to try that. so far it has cost me 25 bucks just to sync the phone to the new lap top. I know your pain.

This was after installing and uninstalling the palm desktop twice, reconfiguring the outlook folders and searching endlessly through several threads to figure out any other way to do this. Good luck.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    I just got my Vista Home Premium lappy set up with Palm's Outlook conduits and desktop mgr installed and have the same issue. however I connected to my 700p with Card Reader vs 1.0.4 and am able to load programs by draggin and dropping to the card vis usb cable. I am also waiting for my code from palm vista simple installer to try that. so far it has cost me 25 bucks just to sync the phone to the new lap top. I know your pain.

This was after installing and uninstalling the palm desktop twice, reconfiguring the outlook folders and searching endlessly through several threads to figure out any other way to do this. Good luck.
    what sucks is I installed Palm Desktop on my new pc no problem AND I was able to hot sync and back up to the Vista pc. Quick install is the only thing giving me issues. When ever I attempt to send an app to the quick install I get a error stating the software is not installed correctly. this is HORRIBLE. I refuse to pay more money just to be able to install apps on my phone. Palm better get its **** together!

/end rant
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    what sucks is I installed Palm Desktop on my new pc no problem AND I was able to hot sync and back up to the Vista pc. Quick install is the only thing giving me issues. When ever I attempt to send an app to the quick install I get a error stating the software is not installed correctly. this is HORRIBLE. I refuse to pay more money just to be able to install apps on my phone. Palm better get its **** together!

/end rant
    That's the exact same thing that happens to me when I try to use quickinstall. I've waited a year for a patch to the 700p, so I am expecting the same thing with the desktop app also.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    For those that can't seem to get 4.1.4e (download from Palm site) to work, it's most likely because you earlier installed the Palm desktop from the CD that came from your device. You will need to do an uninstall of the Palm desktop first. Then go to the Palm installation folder and delete (manually) everything else that remains after the system uninstall. Leaving the "trash" around is what is causing 4.1.4e to hang. You may even want to run "regedit" and remove the following registry key prior to trying to install 4.1.4e:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics

The problem is, though, without "upgrading from CD to 4.1.4e", you loose out on things like the Media conduit. Those of you that say you have a fully functional Palm Desktop under vista and are using a Treo are most likely missing out on the Media and other conduits and Palm desktop extensions.

I've been working on how to "hi-jack" those conduits from the previous version into 4.1.4e.

For those having issues with QuickInstall, there isn't much of a workaround. One thing to try is to install with UAC turned off. One thing that I do is NOT use QuickInstall, but use the standard "PalmInstall" tool instead. Sure, it's old-school, but it does pretty much the same thing. It's just that you have to do a bit more work to get it to install to your storage card and it isn't as smart about possible remaining memory on the device.

This really is Palm dropping the ball on Vista. Vista really isn't that difficult to deal with from a programming perspective. If Palm was having USB driver issues, that may be one thing, but these issues have nothing to do with drivers. Saying that it's Vista's fault is one way of just avoiding fixing the problem until there is enough pressure to cause you to do so. I develop software, I install more than my share of bleeding edge apps, and I have probably more devices to get working than most people. To date, my biggest drawbacks to going to Vista are Adobe making customers pay big time to upgarde to their "Vista Compatible" apps, and Palm dragging their feet on getting a compatible version of Palm desktop. The recent announcement that the desktop will be Vista "fixed" this summer is still painful. My only hope is they mean the "beginning of" summer and not the end. Then again, their "focus" isn't on Mac, or Windows desktop apps anymore. (Do you realize that the copyright date on 4.1.4e is 2004?) As developers, Palm has told us that "desktop sync is dead", and that was during the last PDC over 2 years ago.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    I agree. Adobe..even the 8.0 pro is still pretty buggy in Vista. This and Palm's stuff are the two you have to do the most work on. But at least you can do most things in Adobe. Palm is much worse.

If they do put a Vista fix on their site, let's hope its the same thing you'd get on the CD. I don't even keep most CDs with drivers since they're out of date when you get it most times.

If they want to compete with Iphone and others, then make it simple.

One thing i've learned about Vista, you can't use the CD (that comes with a new Dell for instance) on other dell computers you may own. With XP, you could. Vista is smarter this time around and you'll need a unique key to activate it for each computer.

One annoying thing. To do a clean install with an upgrade Vista version (sort of).. You clean install it from boot, but do not enter serial number when prompted, but do specifiy which version your disc is. Then..once its installed, you need to run the Vista disc in windows and "upgrade" this time. (so yes, you're upgrading Vista to Vista....its stupid, a waste of time..and did i say stupid?) This time you do enter the serial number. It's a pain in the you know what. Much simpler if you could enter your old XP serial from boot to prove your just upgrading. Clean installs are much more desirable.

Then only after doing this should you start loading programs & drivers. Academic versions of Vista Home Premium seem the best deal. Ultimate is what i have because i wanted all the features. (btw..i hate the different versions...sell one and be done with it..MS blows on that)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast