Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/04/anatomy_of_a_so.html

TC Story going up in a minute.

Discuss.
    This should be fun...
    I know it won't please most people, but I'm at least glad that he spent the time to explain at least partially what took so long (the part about a bluetooth patch vs maintenance release) although it seems they should have assumed they'd need a firmware update all along.

I'd prefer sooner than May 28th, but honestly, its not that big a deal to me, I'm still happy with my 700p as is.
    About time.
    Better late than never. Now we have options. 755p with the new form factor (but smaller battery) or the 700p with better battery life, and a decent bug fix. I'd rather stick with what I already have, and save the $ for a Treo that is really a leap forward rather than an incremental change. (If the 755p came with EVDO Rev. A or B, then that'd be a different story!)
    May 28th.......That's AFTER the supposed release of the 755p....no indication as to what's actually been fixed or how well (did they actually get all the lag out? does it finally work with a wide variety of bluetooth headsets?). Sorry.....no dice. I'm still disappointed, and this seals the deal. I will be getting an iPhone come June.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    May 28th.......That's AFTER the supposed release of the 755p....no indication as to what's actually been fixed or how well (did they actually get all the lag out? does it finally work with a wide variety of bluetooth headsets?). Sorry.....no dice. I'm still disappointed, and this seals the deal. I will be getting an iPhone come June.
    Good, maybe that means you'll stop whining and start bothering Apple forums.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Merlyn! I can't believe what you're saying...I thought for sure you would be happy and singing Palm's praises! You can HAVE the Iphone. No 3rd party support? lol...Have fun with that dude.

From the article, it seems they started out to fix bluetooth and it grew from there. That's a good thing imo, as it means they are addressing one of the main gripes right off the bat, also he addresses launch speed, etc. I am hopeful that this will make the 700p the phone we've always wanted.
    Last edited by adjmcloon; 04/17/2007 at 07:35 PM.
    Merlyn, ignore that. I don't think you arer a whiner, but just want what you paid (twice) for. If the update is coming out May 28th, and the iphone is coming in June, I hope you will at least apply the update to your 700P and let us know your reaction to the actual (well overdue) update itself. Yes. It may be too late to sway you or others to stay with palm, but maybe the update itself will at least be worth (part of) that wait. I'd really appreciate your review of the update, and hope you do not stay away from the forum.. Others have moved on from palm products and still contribute occasionally.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Finally

obviously it's coming to late, but the idea that a new treo w/ Garent was soon to be released and we had yet to get this oatch was really botheirng me.

This thing better be good.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    MAN **** THAT **** MAY 28TH ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ONE FULL YEAR AFTER THE RELEASE OF THE ****ING PHONE??????? ARE YOU ****ING ****TING ME?????????

You know what, that's fine by me. If the patch fixes everything and makes the phone work, that's great. You know why? Because there's no ****ing chance in hell that I'll be going out and buying a 755 or whatever when it first comes out to deal with this bull**** again. This is absurd. Once they release the fix to make the 700p work, there will be little to no reason to justify upgrading and giving them more of my money. That's it and I'm done with supporting palm and their bull****.
    Does this mean that the treo 755 will have the same software that the will 700p have after the update? Or does this mean that the 755 is being shipped out with old 700p software and will need to update a few week later? Or possibly the 755p will be delayed???

Anyways this update has taken so long my contract will probably be up before it comes out.

I have someone that is offering me $250 for my phone I told them $350 no lower.. I might just settle on $300 and buy a blackberry that has built in Nav.. But ow what a waste all my programs I have spent money on..
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Are you kidding me, after a year of dealing with this phone, bought in June 06, I will get a full MR rather than a patch. I have waited this long (big sigh!) I will actually have to wait, because I will be out of the country sunning my buns when the MR is finally released. Thank god Palm actually gave us a date. The anticipation I am feeling now is just like the first time I..........

I got my first Handspring Prism and had to wait for it to arrive in the mail.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    This is a bunch of nonsense, you mean to tell me that palm new all along that there was a desperate need to update the bt and yet continued to sell this so called smartphone 700p. This shows a complete disregard to customer satisfaction and it is a direct admission of marketing lies. Whenever I call tech support with bt issue they claimed that this is news to them, you blog contradicts that. I will gladly send this phone back to palm for a refund today, I promise never to buy another palm product and advice my friends and company never to buy a palm product so they would never become paying beta testers. Palm, you blew it.
    Treoing & Loving it
  15.    #15  
    Thanks to Merlyn3d who reminded earlier that to say we expect "premium phones" to operate at "premium quality" isn't quite right - we want them to be able to at least do what feature phones do.
  16.    #16  
    And I'll echo what I said in the article - I think later and fully working is much better than earlier and not working.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/04/anatomy_of_a_so.html

TC Story going up in a minute.

Discuss.
    Septimus,

Great cover story on TC front page. This is what we always wanted and I am so glad you put it upfront. This type of effort puts a smile on my face

On the other hand, the week of May 28th... that opens perhaps more questions than give answers. The timing between device release and patch release is almost a year, never happened before in Treo history.

Also, lets point out he mentioned week of May 28th, so it is not yet a definite date, the update could come as late as June 1st (Friday that week). Anyhow, I have now a clear deadline when I'll be switching devices if the ROM doesn't fix the problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Hi Merlyn, Sorry to say but I think your decision (really more of a prediction, isn't it?) is a little premature. If Palm lags (pun intended) on getting this MR out, or puts out a crappy update, then there's likely to be a mass defection to the iPhone, but reason dictates that Palm realizes the same thing, and that thier success as a company hinge on this date and the effectiveness of the update. I think you are currently spreading unnecessary FUD. Bad Merlyn, very bad. Take a 30 second time-out and think about what I just said. :-)

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Good, maybe that means you'll stop whining and start bothering Apple forums.
    I'm sorry, do you have a problem with me?

Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon
    Merlyn! I can't believe what you're saying...I thought for sure you would be happy and singing Palm's praises! You can HAVE the Iphone. No 3rd party support? lol...Have fun with that dude.

From the article, it seems they started out to fix bluetooth and it grew from there. That's a good thing imo, as it means they are addressing one of the main gripes right off the bat, also he addresses launch speed, etc. I am hopeful that this will make the 700p the phone we've always wanted.
    It's no longer about "the phone I always wanted", or that nonsense. Don't you see it will have been a year and the device will be out of warranty before we get anything fixed. If the update fries your phone, you're screwed. Be that as it may, many of us have had to deal with these issues for one year.....ONE YEAR. The phone is being EOLed in May by Sprint. That means that for the ENTIRE life cycle of the phone, it has not worked or performed to it's advertised functionality. How can you NOT be unhappy about this?

Let's also forget for a moment that the date is "tentatively" May 28. Don't you think that's bound to be pushed back at least a week or two like usual? I mean sure, if it comes out before the iPhone, I will apply it, and I will try it out. When it comes down to it though, I spent a heck of a lot of money on this device and I didn't get anywhere near what I paid for it. I got no support from Palm, and the way they've handled this whole situation has been nothing short of abysmal. They have already lost customers just because of the "show of support" over the 700p.

I for one, recommended treos to at least 3 of my friends, my gf, and my family. I have all but stopped doing that, and I will be picking another device to recommend. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've seen first hand that Apple will stand behind their products, be it iPod, Macbook Pro, or iPhone. My support experiences with them have been nothing short of stellar, and it is for that reason that I don't regret spending money on them and for that reason that I'll pick up an iPhone, despite the several shortcomings it will initially have.

For me, anyway, this isn't about the device anymore. It's about the company and their ability to solve problems in a timely manner, to not screw their loyal power-users, and provide the support that you pay for when you buy one of the most expensive phones on the market.

On a side note, it would have also been nice if he would have given us an idea of what their official buglist is, whether they're putting any new versions of any programs in the new ROM, and once and for all get an official work on what has been fixed. Instead, we got the BS (excuse me for saying that, but I feel that everything leading up the date is just padding) that most of us could have already figured out anyway based on past experience with Treos. We all know what a Maintenance Release is, the 650 had something like 4 of them. Why don't people ask what Palm has official fixed in this maintenance release?
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 04/17/2007 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    This should be fun...
    You crack me up.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast