Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    All,

Taking cheap shots at one of the most active members in the forum is playing lowball and certainly shouldn't be a tolerated activity. If you guys cannot say something constructive, why waste your time posting those notes at all?

I don't mean to turn you into "believers" if I may say. Just add me to the list of people experiencing problems with BT. I praise mayself as somewhat technology-savvy, but I have had my own share of nightmarish moments with the 700p. I do have Palm's own branded Bluetooth headset (the big fat one) that I bought expicitly for compatibilty. I have experienced the un-pairing and I did not even know what it was until I put together 2 and 2 and read these forums. I have had to delete the headset from the trusted devices, reset the phone and re-pair almost once every month if I am that lucky.

Is it user-error you guys wonder? I doubt it. I, as many others, have followed the steps to pair and upair devices to the letter. Verified the headset wasn't the issue.

Has it crossed your minds Palm wouldn't make twice public statements if the problems were isolated? To me it makes perfect sense. I experienced the problems they have disclosed publicly couple of times now. They are working (not as hard as I'd like them to BTW) on fixing said problems; if I was a single isolated case they would certainly not have addressed this BT issues in such a public fashion but maybe in a case-by-case basis.

Does your phone works well, under your definition of what is a good phone? Are you happy and have not experienced the so-called problems yet? Kudos, fellow Treo owner. If your phone runs like a charm for you then go ahead, skip at all the pesky posts that deal with lag problems, constant freezes, audio stuttering and BT nightmares. Go instead and focus on the posts that talk about the up-sides of the phone, of all the extras you may be missing: ringtone handlers, backup programs, Slingplayer trials... the list goes on. Perhaps in those forums you will find more fruitful discussions for you than here, were all of us dissatisfied Treo user deal with faulty devices on a daily basis that are a reality and not an imaginary thing; we face the hard fact that we deal with a lousy series of mishaps from whoever designed the 700p, and on top of that we have to stand and wait for a fix, with all these missed deadlines given out by Palm themselves the future look bleak to us.

So whatever you guys decide, reality vs. denial, it is OK. Your Treo will still behave like it should behave, no matter what.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Am I the only one who suspects some of these "My Treo works great and you guys are all a bunch of whiners" posters are lurking Palm employees?
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    Am I the only one who suspects some of these "My Treo works great and you guys are all a bunch of whiners" posters are lurking Palm employees?
    Gimme a break. I've had Palm devices since the 1K model, but never had a Treo before ten months ago. All I did was buy the thing when my Samsung
    i500 crapped out (now there's a good form factor). I was perfectly prepared to hate the Treo, and I still hate the brick aspect of it, but it works, and has since I got it. I run databases, I use Exchange/Versamail and Gmail, surf regularly, use BT on weekends, watch movies on the road, use PDANet, send probably thirty or so text messages a day, and now use Slingplayer. I have no lag....none. I have had to re-pair the Palm headset I use once. I am certainly not a power user; I don't run a business through the phone, and I don't keep thousands of text messages, but other than skipping audio and low tranfer speeds with the beta Slingplayer, marginal battery life and the crappy form factor, it has done very well. Believe me, I don't work for Palm. Clearly there are inconsistencies in their hardware implementation, or programs are causing some of these inconsistencies. Those are the facts, ma'am....if the new MR makes pTunes play without any skipping I'll be just delighted. If they really wanted to make me happy they would include built in compatibility with stereo BT headsets, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I hope whatever they do makes people happy, but I"m fine as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I believe the problems exist. I don\'t believe they do inflict ALL 700p\'s

And Loudest doesn\'t = majority. It just doesn\'t! Why you insist on telling people that thier 700p doesn\'t behave the way they say it does is beyond me. What you hope to achieve by this is beyond me.
    Bingo. The whiners are the minority and yet they think that they represent the majority. Perhaps that is just the mentality of a whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    Here we go again......

I use bluetooth probably more then anyone on this forum. I\'m on conference calls with my headest at least 2 to 3 hours everyday, until the battery dies then I\'m on the speakerphone. Then when I get back to the hotel I\'m typically on PDANet with bluetooth playing poker on ultimatebet for at least 4 hours.

So I use it, just don\'t have the problems that you do........

700-1000 and only time my locks up is when I\'m on a plane, and typically it will then send 4 texts after like 5 mins. But I never have to reset to get back to the Home screen or to send another text.

Not possible. You must either be lying or you work for Palm. Everyone knows that every 700p is worthless and the BT doesn\'t work at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Bingo. The whiners are the minority and yet they think that they represent the majority. Perhaps that is just the mentality of a whiner.
    I don't know who is the majority in terms of functionality since this has not been studied...I do suspect we are a vocal minority of Treo users that had come across a number of deficiencies with this phone that make it unreliable for the work we do.

For me, the main issue is the Bluetooth unreliability in MY phone, the lag is annoying but certainly not a deal-breaker and SMS is not a function I use regularly. I have experienced resets, some associated with 3rd party application, others for unknown reasons. I experience an average of 2-3 random resets a week, a bit more than I would like; I also experienced random resets with other Palm devices in the past so I have learned to live with it.

It is our collective "whining" if you will that have finally pushed Palm to admit these deficincies do indeed exist, and to engage in a effort to fix as many as possible. So in the end, if the ROM patch finally arrives and fixes some or most of these issues, you may end up with a better phone just because we "whined".
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/20/2007 at 09:49 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    All I did was buy the thing when my Samsung
    i500 crapped out (now there's a good form factor).
    I'll second that!

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    All,

Taking cheap shots at one of the most active members in the forum is playing lowball and certainly shouldn't be a tolerated activity. If you guys cannot say something constructive, why waste your time posting those notes at all?

I don't mean to turn you into "believers" if I may say. Just add me to the list of people experiencing problems with BT. I praise mayself as somewhat technology-savvy, but I have had my own share of nightmarish moments with the 700p. I do have Palm's own branded Bluetooth headset (the big fat one) that I bought expicitly for compatibilty. I have experienced the un-pairing and I did not even know what it was until I put together 2 and 2 and read these forums. I have had to delete the headset from the trusted devices, reset the phone and re-pair almost once every month if I am that lucky.

Is it user-error you guys wonder? I doubt it. I, as many others, have followed the steps to pair and upair devices to the letter. Verified the headset wasn't the issue.

Has it crossed your minds Palm wouldn't make twice public statements if the problems were isolated? To me it makes perfect sense. I experienced the problems they have disclosed publicly couple of times now. They are working (not as hard as I'd like them to BTW) on fixing said problems; if I was a single isolated case they would certainly not have addressed this BT issues in such a public fashion but maybe in a case-by-case basis.

Does your phone works well, under your definition of what is a good phone? Are you happy and have not experienced the so-called problems yet? Kudos, fellow Treo owner. If your phone runs like a charm for you then go ahead, skip at all the pesky posts that deal with lag problems, constant freezes, audio stuttering and BT nightmares. Go instead and focus on the posts that talk about the up-sides of the phone, of all the extras you may be missing: ringtone handlers, backup programs, Slingplayer trials... the list goes on. Perhaps in those forums you will find more fruitful discussions for you than here, were all of us dissatisfied Treo user deal with faulty devices on a daily basis that are a reality and not an imaginary thing; we face the hard fact that we deal with a lousy series of mishaps from whoever designed the 700p, and on top of that we have to stand and wait for a fix, with all these missed deadlines given out by Palm themselves the future look bleak to us.

So whatever you guys decide, reality vs. denial, it is OK. Your Treo will still behave like it should behave, no matter what.
    Most active doesn't = Most constructive

Positive comments don't belong?? Find another thread?? Have you even read the title of this thread.

Just because your apparent nemesis happens to post hear doesn't translate to this thread being originated as a place to whine.

And furthermore having seen a 700p before it hit the shelf isn't parallel to touching the Holy Grail Give me a break with that already
    I also remember tons of "constructive whining" about "c'mon Palm just release already! We'll take it faults and all, we don't mind" etc... TONS of it. If he is in fact effective at getting palm to do things, perhaps everyone should be blaming him for the apparently immature release of the 700p in the first place!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Most active doesn't = Most constructive
    Totally agree!

Just because your apparent nemesis happens to post hear doesn't translate to this thread being originated as a place to whine.

And furthermore having seen a 700p before it hit the shelf isn't parallel to touching the Holy Grail Give me a break with that already
    Constructive?

We all can do better by politely disagreeing about the points made rather than about the person making the point.

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Coming to a conclusion about how great or lousy a product is by reading web site forums is meaningless. These forums are typically visited by people who are fans of a device or by people looking for answers to problems. You'll get the occasional troll with an axe to grind but the vast majority of users never visit these forums and probably only use a small subset of the features on their phones. Some people have problems that others don't experience so there is a variation from device to device based on components, software or how the phone is used. I personally experience lag issues and frequent resets that I'm not real thrilled with it, but maybe I have one of the lemons or use it differently. Regardless of why, it's clear that issues with MY phone are irrelavent to people who don't experience them.
  11.    #171  
    Whoa. turn my head away from this thread for a couple of days and it devolves into madness. Everybody simma down, don't want to lock it.
    It amazes me how the people who (currently) don't have the problems
    want to minimize it for those who do.

OK, let's try this one.. put your family in a vehicle. The ABS controller
    in that vehicle will randomly cause the brakes to fail on average once ever
    100th application. Now we'll let your family drive up and down a series of
    seaside cliffs. Does that put it into perspective? If they go careening over
    the side - the other 50 families driving the vehicles will say "USER ERROR".

Those of you who do not have "the troubles" likely have a different combo
    of BT devices paired up. I have (for the record) my BMW 335i, my JX10,
    and a BT usb interface for hotsync.

It certainly seems to me that the 700p cannot handle (although per the
    actual BT specs it SHOULD handle) multiple devices being paired even though
    they are not used at the same time.

So, if you have "just one" device paired, and you don't have problems - well
    just bully for you - but realize that others DO have serious problems which
    are not imaginary, are not caused by user error, and are serious.

BTW, if you want to see how BT is supposed to work.. my wife uses a "dumb"
    phone - she gets into her Prius.. hits the Power button (aka turns the key)
    and w/in 5 seconds there is a message on the car's Nav:

Bluetooth connection successful

It takes 20 sec of fiddling to get the JX-10 to pair w/ the Treo. Sometimes
    it takes a warm reset to get it to fully link up.

It takes anywhere from 20 sec to "reset" to get it to pair w/ the BMW.

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    ...Not possible. You must either be lying or you work for Palm. Everyone knows that every 700p is worthless and the BT doesn\'t work at all.
    Actually I think he should send his treo back to Palm. They could study it and make all future treos like it, and all the problems of the palm treo world would be solved! (I'm not kidding.)

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Whoa. turn my head away from this thread for a couple of days and it devolves into madness. Everybody simma down, don't want to lock it.
    Septimus, don't lock us down, Treo Central is the only forum that gives us a voice.

Just checked the Palm Blog, and I have posted several comments (none too severe) and they have not posted more than two comments the past several days and I have written 3 or 4. I do not really think that this is a blog if they are not posting the users comments. At least on TC they post our comments and if too vivid they delete them. I wish the Palm Blog would do the same. I do not think that they realized the amount of negative attention concerning the Treo 700p and what it would bring to their blog. Palm has miscalculated again. Maybe Palm is in Russia and not in the US where we have some reason of freedom of speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    All I did was buy the thing when my Samsung
    i500 crapped out (now there's a good form factor).
    Roommate had one and it crapped out on him...he got my 600 which was older and yet he still uses it! the i500 needed an external (even if OLED) display and a qwerty pad...graffiti pad made it a two-handed device!
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I don't know who is the majority in terms of functionality since this has not been studied...I do suspect we are a vocal minority of Treo users that had come across a number of deficiencies with this phone that make it unreliable for the work we do.
    Keep in mind the number of folks who have Treo's that DONT belong to our community. Since treocentral isnt defacto (should be!) on each device from the factory, even generalized statements can be wrong. Also consider that the loudest group of any population are the ones with a gripe (whether justified or not), so you cannot apply the 'perception is reality' rule here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Keep in mind the number of folks who have Treo's that DONT belong to our community. Since treocentral isnt defacto (should be!) on each device from the factory, even generalized statements can be wrong. Also consider that the loudest group of any population are the ones with a gripe (whether justified or not), so you cannot apply the 'perception is reality' rule here.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

I recognize there is a majority of users that either don't have these problems or the problems they have are not a major issue with their daily use. For others such as myself, the problems have become more than a nuisance interfering with our personal/business use requirements.

In the end, both sides of this argument are indeed right.

but it's because I know that it will do absolutely zero good. The phone resets on me when trying to accept a call, which my wife has learned to accept (though she wonders how this could happen on a phone I paid way too much for) but my boss is not happy about.

I work for a large state agency. We stopped doing business with IBM because they have the same exact attitude. We tried to get them to honor their warranty on a set of thinkpads, and the answer I got on the phone was "sorry, your account is too small to deal with." Fine, we got rid of all our IBM computers except the mainframe, and that's headed out the door this year as well.

Palm is doing the same thing. I'm not going to ***** about it, I'm going to find a company that isn't so wimpy that they can't even communicate with their customers. I'm the techie in my family, circle of friends, and at work. I've stopped recommending the Treo, and as soon as I've found a replacement that I feel will do the job, from a company that I'm comfortable with, I'll start recommending that. And our state agency will be no longer using Treos. They're no longer the only smart phone in town, and customer support is an easy way for me to justify a sole-source contract for a different vendor.
    IDtheTarget, you should add this to the Palm blog if not done already. The growing number of statements like this, may sway them to rectify their customer support (or lack thereof) policy, realizing the growing number of customers they stand to loose otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Roommate had one and it crapped out on him...he got my 600 which was older and yet he still uses it! the i500 needed an external (even if OLED) display and a qwerty pad...graffiti pad made it a two-handed device!

OT, but with intelligent text entry plus graffiti, I did fine without a qwerty. What it really needed was a card, SMS and media support. It was just so SMALL and worked so well....