Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    Again I'm sorry I don't agree with your assessment. Just for the record, I use bluetooth all day either via my Motorola H700c or with pdanet and the data connection via my laptop. So I didn't say that I don't use bluetooth which is quite the opposite; I stated that it sounds like you have to shop around for a headset that works the best with your phone.

You bought a phone that has advertised capabilities, yes, so which one of the advertised capabilities doesn't work? I've never had my Treo crash on me out of the box or after a hard reset without any programs installed. The only time my phone has every crashed while receiving a call was when I had Chatter installed and trying to use my headset. After deleting Chatter the only problem that I ever have with bluetooth is if I turn it off, then turn it back on it will pair with the headset but won't connect so I have to reset it. So now I just don't turn it off, the other problem that I have is more of a bug, in that when keyguard is enabled if I try to send a file to my treo it will just error out instead of receiving it then waiting until I disable the keyguard. Again those are problems I agree but to be ranting and raving as it's the end of Palm is a little over the top.

I have tons of applications installed on my treo and the SD card and have had a 650 before the 700p both for Sprint. I think that maybe 10 people on this board probably use their Treo more than me and while I don't claim to be a Treo expert I can say that I've done my share of Treoing and I just don't think that the 700 is as big of a problem as it is being made out to be.
    I've used at least 3 different headsets that were all on Palm's compatibility list and they still eventually unpair from the phone....AND the phone will reset on an incoming call with the bluetooth headset paired to it about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time. These are with headsets Palm claims are 100% compatible with the bluetooth stack of the 700p! Let me ask you, WHAT MORE SHOPPING AROUND SHOULD I DO? It's bad enough that they would even expect me to buy a new headset given that bluetooth is SUPPOSED to work with anything else that says bluetooth, given that you're matching the correct profiles (in this case the headset profile). That is the whole point of having a standard like bluetooth.

You may think you're not having trouble with bluetooth, but one of the biggest problems with it is the fact that the phone will not make a sound or vibrate at all in the incoming call, but instead promptly reset. The only way I noticed this was happening is that the phone was sitting on my desk, I saw the screen light up, and the outline of the incoming call screen showed up. Before there was even any caller-id info the phone reset. There was also no record whatsoever in the call log. This happened in 4 different 700p's, all with Palm-approved bluetooth headsets, so unless you actually watch your treo on an incoming call, how would you ever know that your treo didn't actually reset?

BTW, this happened with and without chatter installed. Chatter, though, seems to be the only really good email client left for the Palm, as even opening Versamail on the 700p will introduce at least 2 seconds of lag to your phone application.

As for advertised capabilities, why don't you take a walk around this forum and see all the complaints. The two foremost are the fact that this 700p is one of the most expensive phones out, yet it can't play MP3's without skipping when a $50 phone from any carrier can, and the bluetooth is the poorest excuse for a bluetooth implementation most of us have ever seen because it doesn't even hold a candle to the cheapest bluetooth phone you can buy nowadays. These are BASIC capabilities, not even advertised features of the smartphone. And please don't even get me started on the fact that they advertise that it's the "familiar" PalmOS with over 30,000+ applications you can run, yet if you have ANY problems you get the whole "no 3rd party software" spiel.

Bottom line here, vMac, is there's no way you're gonna convince us of your point. There's no way you're going to win this argument because at this point it's quite obvious that the 700p is flawed, and Palm has finally....FINALLY....admitted that there are issues.
    I was wondering how they plan to deliver the MR or patch. Can we download it with a ROM update tool? Or get a CD in the mail?

I hope we don't have to drag our BUTTS to the provider. Verizon, Sprint etc.. I can just see it now... Waiting in line for a tech who does not have a clue.

And if they are real busy we will hear the old saying:

PATCHES? PATCHES? You don't need no stinking PATCHES!!! :>)
    I have NEVER had the phone reset on an incoming call using BT and have NEVER had to re-pair my BT headset. Sounds like some user-error perhaps?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm has traditionally handled all of the ROM dates on palm.com. The carriers' tech support staff (assuming they even KNOW about the 700p update) will likely just direct all traffic to Palm.com/us/support

I cannot recall a Palm ROM update handled on physical media since the old OS 4.1update for the Palm OS 3 & 4 era devices back in '01 or so. That one was sold at retail on CD.

What I'm worried about is how they are going to handle the Vista situation. What about the people who need to Hotsync but are still having issues getting Palm Desktop 4.1.4 & 4.2 work in Vista (even in XP compat. mode)? Will the ROM update installer run under Vista?
    Where do you keep all that hate man...?? You sound like you really hate Palm. Come on Merlyn... I was there with you when you were showing us pictures of the unreleased Treo 700p. I know you were really excited and so everybody else, but don't you remember how much we were pushing Palm to release it. Well, we got it and we even stated that we didn't care if it was on a beta state. Well, that is pretty much what we got. I've had lot's of fun with my 700p and I think it is better than the 650. Though, the lag and the BT problem really makes me wish I had the 650. Anyway Merlyn... stop the hate man...

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Thank you, I appreciate that, and you all know how excited I was about the 700p back before it was released, but at this point, the only way I really see that I might stay with Palm is if the software update is actually this LinuxOS we've been hearing about. Why shouldn't we, the 700p users, reap the benefits of this "shared hardware platform" that has literally plagued us for a year now?

Oh, the other way would be to completely refund me the full retail price of BOTH the 700p's on my account. If Palm does that, and admits their mistake, I might be persuaded to consider future products. But in all honesty, I don't expect them to do this for one person. As irate a customer as I might be right now, I'm only one customer to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I have NEVER had the phone reset on an incoming call using BT and have NEVER had to re-pair my BT headset. Sounds like some user-error perhaps?
    Why is it anytime anyone mentions this on the forums someone has to post "user error"? NO....IT'S BEEN CONFIRMED TO HAPPEN WITH AT LEAST SEVERAL USERS ON THIS FORUM as well as others. How could it possible be user error? Heck, just for kicks, please explain to me how EVEN if I was the only one to see this with all 4 of my 700p's it would be chalked up to user error.

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Where do you keep all that hate man...?? You sound like you really hate Palm. Come on Merlyn... I was there with you when you were showing us pictures of the unreleased Treo 700p. I know you were really excited and so everybody else, but don't you remember how much we were pushing Palm to release it. Well, we got it and we even stated that we didn't care if it was on a beta state. Well, that is pretty much what we got. I've had lot's of fun with my 700p and I think it is better than the 650. Though, the lag and the BT problem really makes me wish I had the 650. Anyway Merlyn... stop the hate man...

Al
    You're right, I was very excited back then. I was also a big big fan of the Palm experience. I freely admit that. However, things change in a year, and Palm's mistreatment of its customers, especially its loyal power-users, has ticked not just me, but a lot of us off. I also think that back then, we assumed that the 700p would be at least as good as, if not better than, the 650 in terms of lag, bluetooth, stability. No one expected what we got, even me because I only had that pre-prod model for 2 days.

I do not take kindly to mistreatment when I have paid for a product and I end up not getting what I paid for. I'm not the only one. I'm sorry if I came across as expressing a lot of hate, but that wasn't my intent so much as frustration and disappointment. I think we've all learned now that Palm won't feel the pressure to do anything unless we take drastic action. Trying to get attention from the various forms of media on the 'net isn't hostile in any way, it's simply a way to get the truth out there so more and more people read it. Consider it a warning to future potential buyers of Palm products of the less than sub par support experience we've been through.

I'm not the only one unhappy, and I've tried to be as professional as I could regarding all of this. Read my comment on the latest article in the Palm blog, it's not quite so hateful as quite a few of the others.
    Really?

Please explain how USER ERROR will cause the phone to reset on some
    incoming calls?

User error causing a headset to NOT pair, possible.

User error causing random resets when headset already paired, NOT POSSIBLE.
    Almost no one else on this forum gets the kind of BT-related problems as merlyn and SOMEHOW he has the exact same problem on all four of his phones. Hmmm. Sounds like a strong case for user error to me. Whether it is third party software, the BT headsets that are being used, etc. is unknown.
    Almost no one else on this forum gets the kind of BT-related problems as merlyn and SOMEHOW he has the exact same problem on all four of his phones. Hmmm. Sounds like a strong case for user error to me. Whether it is third party software, the BT headsets that are being used, etc. is unknown.
    Without Merlyn, we won't have the sneak-peak of the 700P.. I, for one, respect him
    Would you kindly read Steve Sinclair's letter's and his blog posting before talking about user induced BT failures. In case you missed those here is a recap...Palm has ACKNOWLEDGED the BT implementation on the 700p is FAULTY and they had a VERY HARD time TRYING to fix it with a simple patch so a maintenance release was needed - their words not mine (paraphrased of course).

Can we stop with the "there is nothing wrong with the BT line" already. I am happy that yours works as advertised, mine and many others around here DON'T because is FAULTY (again Palm's own admission), and that IS A FACT.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/19/2007 at 08:01 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    [ [ edited by septimus ] ]
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 04/22/2007 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    Dumb post of the month award?
    Way to lighten the mood...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Way to lighten the mood...
    BT or not, my phone has reset when I'm on a call and another call comes in.

I've only had to re-pair my headset after a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    BT or not, my phone has reset when I'm on a call and another call comes in.

I've only had to re-pair my headset after a hard reset.
    I tried three different BT headsets, have tried leaving the BT client on all the time, soft-reseting multiple times and hard-reseting once. I have erased the profile and re-paired on few occasions with no results.

The BT headset will connect (most of the time) but will disconnect randomly and several times even when the icon showed the headset was indeed connected, the call was not send through the headset or hands-free device; had a reset during call episode happen once - that I know - since then I stopped using BT completely.

Interesting, the BT function worked kind of OK at first, just got progressively unreliable as time went by. After my hard rest, I cleaned installed the few 3rd party apps I had rather than sync with my old profile, as I suspected DB corruption as the cause; it again became progressively unreliable in a matter of a few weeks.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Without Merlyn, we won't have the sneak-peak of the 700P.. I, for one, respect him

I have to 2nd that.

most of us love you Meryln
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I tried three different BT headsets, have tried leaving the BT client on all the time, soft-reseting multiple times and hard-reseting once. I have erased the profile and re-paired on few occasions with no results.

The BT headset will connect (most of the time) but will disconnect randomly and several times even when the icon showed the headset was indeed connected, the call was not send through the headset or hands-free device; had a reset during call episode happen once - that I know - since then I stopped using BT completely.

Interesting, the BT function worked kind of OK at first, just got progressively unreliable as time went by. After my hard rest, I cleaned installed the few 3rd party apps I had rather than sync with my old profile, as I suspected DB corruption as the cause; it again became progressively unreliable in a matter of a few weeks.
    I've tried two, the jabra BT350 and 500. I had issues with pairing when they were both paired while I was evaluating, but once I removed the 350 and only used the 500, it's been fine for the most part. I used to get a problem when it was partially disconnected. That is I could see the blue headphones icon, but I couldn't use the BT to talk. I could hit the button on the bt500 and the Treo would switch to headset mode, but I couldn't hear, hit the button again and the speaker phone would engage.

That went away when I stopped turning off the BT on the Treo.
    the only real facts i see from all this is that some 700p's are flawed ...some maybe not so much.

i am on my third one...took the first two back....that's why you have a 30 day return policy. if you spent $600 on a phone and had issues with it...and didn't take it back...then i don't blame you fo being mad....but keeping a flawed phone and banking on the hope a rom update will later fix it is not a wise thing to do IMHO.

calling people a fool for buying a new palm phone...well that to me is foolish. to each his own. don't like palm...don't buy from them anymore.

it sux that will take a year for the rom update for those that have problematic 700p's.....

my 700p works flawlessly with the bluetooth in my car. i don't get resets but maybe once a month...and i have always got those on palm handhelds. and i use chattermail, ptunes, datebook, DA, tom tom and a few other 3rd party apps. i don't get lags very often and maybe it's slower than the 650...but the 650 does't have EVDO.

with all the flaws some of you are having, the 700p is a great phone for those who like the plam os and EVDO. comparing the 700p to the 650 or ANY other palm phone without EVDO is NOT comparing apples and apples. EVDO rocks for those that need high speed internet.

i am looking forward to the tweaks of the rom update, for sure, to make the phone better...but in the meantime, i love doing things like listening to radio stations in california on my 700p.

facts? a flawed 700p is still better for me tha anything else out there. and for those of you that have had a year worth of problems i say this: use it to get a new free phone through your carrier and make he whole 700p "flawed" experience worthwhile. if you can't get a free phone out of the problems you have had for a year, then i'd be more worried about your business savvy than your cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I've tried two, the jabra BT350 and 500. I had issues with pairing when they were both paired while I was evaluating, but once I removed the 350 and only used the 500, it's been fine for the most part. I used to get a problem when it was partially disconnected. That is I could see the blue headphones icon, but I couldn't use the BT to talk. I could hit the button on the bt500 and the Treo would switch to headset mode, but I couldn't hear, hit the button again and the speaker phone would engage.

That went away when I stopped turning off the BT on the Treo.
    I haven't been so lucky. Tried a Motorola (can't recall the model) first, then the BT 350 (I really liked this one) and last the Palm headset.

Since there are a number of you without BT related on-going problems, I wonder if lack of adequate quality control on production has something to do with the apparent disparity of our collective T700p experience?
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/19/2007 at 09:38 AM.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I get the same reset when connecting to bt headset at least once a daywhen receiving a call. I can't speak for merlyn, but I actually have 4 different bt headsets and it happens with all of them. 3 headsets (H500, Treo lightweight, and Plantronics 320) are on the Palm approved list and the other one is a Jawbone. To say that Merlyn is the only one who is suffering is just insane.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast