Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    You guys that are freaking out just need to calm down. I realize the device isn't up to your standard, but life is too short to get so worked up over such an issue. Somebody pass around the bong or something...jeez!

The update will work, people will love the 700p after the update, and that will be it. It happened with the 650, it will happen again. Palm, for all of their faults, is still a great company and will make it right.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Can I have some of whatever you are smoking?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    I know I'm gonna get lambasted for this, but I actually have to give Palm _some_ credit for releasing the MR in the same window as the 755. Should it have taken so long? Absolutely not. But, at this late date, they could have just licked their wounds and released the 755. After all, they must realize that those who are unhappy with the 700p are not going to buy the 755 anyway and may already be gone forever.

Instead, they're giving a FREE option which may (for others on here with severe problems) be like getting a new phone.
    Now that's a positive spin

I'll side with Merlyn on this one, I won't give palm any credit, is their OBLIGATION to provide a product that performs as advertised or to provide appropriate fixes for known issues ON A TIMELY BASIS. Is my believe that Palm would have done none of this if not for the titanic efforts of Bob-C and the rest of the palm-community. They just simply could not sweep us under rug any longer, so they were FORCED to provide us with some fix for our problems.

I seriously doubt the release of the Patch/MR will occur on the May 28th week as anounced, the carrier testing excuse is too good not use it again in the future. Until I see the release, I still consider this Patch/MR, another example of Palm Vaporware.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I have another request people, in addition to digging the article, everyone take the time to submit it as well as all links to the reaction to this that you can find to slashdot.org. For those of you that don't know, this is an extremely popular geek/tech news site that many IT professionals and techs check on a daily basis. If we can get it up there, that's another plus for the users.

EDIT: Also, if you head over to google news and search for palm 700p and click those same articles, they will eventually rise in rank to show up on the front page. Whoever posted the idea of emailing the wall street journal, also good. The more the media gets involved over how gathered the disappointed 700p users are, the better it is for us, the (up until now) loyal users.

Oh, and septimus, you think you can sticky this thread as well? Since this one is your baby and so active right now?
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 04/18/2007 at 02:15 PM.
    I know I'm gonna get lambasted for this, but I actually have to give Palm _some_ credit for releasing the MR in the same window as the 755. Should it have taken so long? Absolutely not. But, at this late date, they could have just licked their wounds and released the 755. After all, they must realize that those who are unhappy with the 700p are not going to buy the 755 anyway and may already be gone forever.

Instead, they're giving a FREE option which may (for others on here with severe problems) be like getting a new phone.
    That depends on what you are compare it to. Compare to other wm phone makers, sure. Compare to 650? Not so much. Each version of 650 (GSM/CDMA/unlocked) had about 3 updates. There was also a blackberry update after the 650 was discontinued if IRC.

So I should hold up Palm to the standard as low as Audiovox and HP? No I don't think so.
    Last edited by whatever7; 04/18/2007 at 03:04 PM.
    Is it possible with just programing to upgrade a bluetooth 1.2 device to a 2.0? Or is it a hardware difference? And would it be possible for this update to move EVDO to Rev A? I know some of the older EVDO wireless cards can be upgraded to Rev A with a simple software update. I know Palm OS has issue and cant run Rev A but could this new patch fix that problem?
    I'm not sure about bluetooth... But it's my understanding that part of EVDO Rev A requires the device to be capable of SIMULTANEOUS call (voice) and data. Since PALM OS is NOT capable of multi-tasking... I would have to belive that this would be impossible for them to implement without replacing the OS with something like linux...
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Now that's a positive spin

I'll side with Merlyn on this one, I won't give palm any credit, is their OBLIGATION to provide a product that performs as advertised or to provide appropriate fixes for known issues ON A TIMELY BASIS. Is my believe that Palm would have done none of this if not for the titanic efforts of Bob-C and the rest of the palm-community. They just simply could not sweep us under rug any longer, so they were FORCED to provide us with some fix for our problems.

I seriously doubt the release of the Patch/MR will occur on the May 28th week as anounced, the carrier testing excuse is too good not use it again in the future. Until I see the release, I still consider this Patch/MR, another example of Palm Vaporware.
    I'm sorry but I just think that most of the people on here are spinning this in hopes of getting a new phone for a discounted price. Which is good if you can do it, but I think that you are expecting too much.

You have to remember that there is rarely a product that when released does exactly what it is promised to do (how many cars get their estimated mpg?). The phone works, the organizer works, the internet works; so yes you may have some problems with bluetooth but it seems that you just have to shop around for one that works. Seems like an entitlement complex with most people on here. IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC View Post
    I'm sorry but I just think that most of the people on here are spinning this in hopes of getting a new phone for a discounted price. Which is good if you can do it, but I think that you are expecting too much.

You have to remember that there is rarely a product that when released does exactly what it is promised to do (how many cars get their estimated mpg?). The phone works, the organizer works, the internet works; so yes you may have some problems with bluetooth but it seems that you just have to shop around for one that works. Seems like an entitlement complex with most people on here. IMHO
    The cars MPG is the fault of the government rating system that says cars go 0-60 in 16 or so seconds and are driven like old people. A new MPG rating system will be out in the next few years.. Also the MPG rating is an estimate..

I am tried of all the people who think we are complaining for no reason... Yes we are complaining but the point is you guys shouldnt be *****ing at us anymore since Palm admitted its their software that is screwed up and its not our imaginations..

4 different 700p's have yielded crashes for me with both the phone (incoming calls) and internet. All were tried in a clean and hard resetted state. They don't work all the time, and you just can't argue that anymore.

What would you think if, for instance, the organizer part of your treo didn't work? Would you feel different then? Just because you don't use bluetooth or other advertised features of the phone doesn't mean other people don't, and what you need to realize is that there's no entitlement complex here. If you don't use a part of the phone, it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it, but you think that just because you're okay that we're out of line for acting as we did? We as consumers bought a certain product that advertised certain capabilities. We are entitled to be able to use those capabilities as advertised; for almost a year now, we haven't been able to do so. Therefore, almost a year later, we haven't not gotten what we paid for. Most people seem to agree with that assessment otherwise none of this would have happened on TC.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I'm not stating that they didn't screw up I'm saying, name one that doesn't? There is no software that runs 100% like it should. I made a post about how bad Chatter is and unstable that it made my phone; and everyone claimed that it was the best piece of code ever written. Then they applauded when the guy started to work for Palm, I cringed.

I have problems with the lag on my pone didn't see it for the first 4 months that I had the phone but then I came on here and started reading up about all the issues that people were having. That's when I started to notice the lag and yes it's very annoying but is it reason to burn Palm at the stake? I don't think so. I've had the 650, got 3 people to get it. Then I got the 700p and loved it to death, had 2 people upgrade, got my Dad a 700wx, got my brother one for Christmas and two weeks ago I just purchased 4 for my employees. There are definitely problems with the phone, but I don't think it is device crippling. I probably won't be buying the 755, but I will definitely be buying the Linux Treo as soon as it comes out; as the iphone and it's paltry data connection couldn't handle our work.
    The phone works, the organizer works, the internet works; so yes you may have some problems with bluetooth but it seems that you just have to shop around for one that works. Seems like an entitlement complex with most people on here. IMHO
    No, I don't think we should shop around for a Bluetooth that works, we already paid for one that was sold to us as working, now were are asking the company to actually deliver the working Bluetooth (among other issues) solution THEY ALREADY SOLD US.

You see, the company warrants the product against manufacturer's defects, well they already admitted this IS A MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT, now we are demanding they make good on their warranty.

And for those that still feel that Palm is doing us the grand gesture with this patch, let me remaind you all, they are only giving us what we rightfully deserve because WE ALREADY PAID FOR IT!!

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    4 different 700p's have yielded crashes for me with both the phone (incoming calls) and internet. All were tried in a clean and hard resetted state. They don't work all the time, and you just can't argue that anymore.

What would you think if, for instance, the organizer part of your treo didn't work? Would you feel different then? Just because you don't use bluetooth or other advertised features of the phone doesn't mean other people don't, and what you need to realize is that there's no entitlement complex here. If you don't use a part of the phone, it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it, but you think that just because you're okay that we're out of line for acting as we did? We as consumers bought a certain product that advertised certain capabilities. We are entitled to be able to use those capabilities as advertised; for almost a year now, we haven't been able to do so. Therefore, almost a year later, we haven't not gotten what we paid for. Most people seem to agree with that assessment otherwise none of this would have happened on TC.
    Again I'm sorry I don't agree with your assessment. Just for the record, I use bluetooth all day either via my Motorola H700c or with pdanet and the data connection via my laptop. So I didn't say that I don't use bluetooth which is quite the opposite; I stated that it sounds like you have to shop around for a headset that works the best with your phone.

You bought a phone that has advertised capabilities, yes, so which one of the advertised capabilities doesn't work? I've never had my Treo crash on me out of the box or after a hard reset without any programs installed. The only time my phone has every crashed while receiving a call was when I had Chatter installed and trying to use my headset. After deleting Chatter the only problem that I ever have with bluetooth is if I turn it off, then turn it back on it will pair with the headset but won't connect so I have to reset it. So now I just don't turn it off, the other problem that I have is more of a bug, in that when keyguard is enabled if I try to send a file to my treo it will just error out instead of receiving it then waiting until I disable the keyguard. Again those are problems I agree but to be ranting and raving as it's the end of Palm is a little over the top.

I have tons of applications installed on my treo and the SD card and have had a 650 before the 700p both for Sprint. I think that maybe 10 people on this board probably use their Treo more than me and while I don't claim to be a Treo expert I can say that I've done my share of Treoing and I just don't think that the 700 is as big of a problem as it is being made out to be.
    I'm not stating that they didn't screw up I'm saying, name one that doesn't? There is no software that runs 100% like it should. I made a post about how bad Chatter is and unstable that it made my phone; and everyone claimed that it was the best piece of code ever written. Then they applauded when the guy started to work for Palm, I cringed.
    I agree that must high-end devices don't works 100% out-of-the-box, however, should we NOT expect that they do? Should we not expect that the company rectify these issues in a TIMELY way? Should we just "take the loss" and buy the next device that problably won't work as advertised either? Should we not expect customer support for the money we have invested?

In regards to the 700p, I agree, for me the problems are not so deep that render the unit useless - in fact with the expection of the bluetooth issues I am quite happy with this phone. What I am NOT happy with is the level of customer support Palm has extended to us, the many months of ignoring our problems and their lack of resolve in fixing these problems.

I do not want anymore than what I paid for already, I am not looking for a free phone or a great rebate on the next product, I am not entitled to either one. What I am entitled, what I DEMAND from Palm is to deliver the full functionality I paid for once and for all.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    No, I don't think we should shop around for a Bluetooth that works, we already paid for one that was sold to us as working, now were are asking the company to actually deliver the working Bluetooth (among other issues) solution THEY ALREADY SOLD US.

You see, the company warrants the product against manufacturer's defects, well they already admitted this IS A MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT, now we are demanding they make good on their warranty.

And for those that still feel that Palm is doing us the grand gesture with this patch, let me remaind you all, they are only giving us what we rightfully deserve because WE ALREADY PAID FOR IT!!

I don't want to argue with you guys... believe me I don't care enough too. So this will probably be my last post on here then I will resume my wondering around the site and minding of my own business.

When you purchased the product they never stated that they were going to upgrade the firmware on the item. You have a warranty and I'm sure that if you read it it will state that they can either repair or replace the item at their will up until the time that your warranty runs out. So by all means if you are having that big of a problem then send in the phone and get another one, or during the 30 period you should have returned the phone and gotten your money back. But to now say that you are entitled to something is a little over the top. Microsoft rolled out Vista to install vista on your computer you have to upgrade the RAM, Video card, CPU on computers that for some aren't even a year old either, and they charge you more then this upgrade is going to cost (free). They also upgrade their XP operating system, for now, but is it working like it was advertised to work 4 years ago when it was sold to most people? I don't think so.

It's like when BMW rolled out the 745 and had all the computer problems you had to take your $850000 car into the shop and have them replace the entire computer and some people waited 9 months to get that update on a $85000 car and we are complaining about minor problems on a $600 phone which most people in here probably got for $300 after rebate and incentives?
    I don't know I'll get off my soapbox and shut my mouth. Back to business as usual.
    I don't want to argue with you guys... believe me I don't care enough too. So this will probably be my last post on here then I will resume my wondering around the site and minding of my own business.

When you purchased the product they never stated that they were going to upgrade the firmware on the item. You have a warranty and I'm sure that if you read it it will state that they can either repair or replace the item at their will up until the time that your warranty runs out. So by all means if you are having that big of a problem then send in the phone and get another one, or during the 30 period you should have returned the phone and gotten your money back. But to now say that you are entitled to something is a little over the top. Microsoft rolled out Vista to install vista on your computer you have to upgrade the RAM, Video card, CPU on computers that for some aren't even a year old either, and they charge you more then this upgrade is going to cost (free). They also upgrade their XP operating system, for now, but is it working like it was advertised to work 4 years ago when it was sold to most people? I don't think so.

It's like when BMW rolled out the 745 and had all the computer problems you had to take your $850000 car into the shop and have them replace the entire computer and some people waited 9 months to get that update on a $85000 car and we are complaining about minor problems on a $600 phone which most people in here probably got for $300 after rebate and incentives?
    I don't know I'll get off my soapbox and shut my mouth. Back to business as usual.
    I guess we agree to disagree on this one.

The examples that you cite - Win XP and BMW - the companies are making good on their promise, by either recalling the product for a free (do I dare say Warrantee) repair or by issuing service packs to the operating system to address the problems and/or add additional features (do I dare say free and without the need of a user's revolt).

We can disagree in a "gentlemanly" fashion, I feel they owe me what I paid for, you don't and that is fine.

Oh I hope that the lag will be fixed. It would seem that if the lag had been fixed that Steve S. would have mentioned it. As his 1st statement indicated that the lag was ihnerent to the hardware design; I am not optimistic that the lag will be fixed. Just wish they would respond to our questions that we ask on a daily basis.
    I know that this is a very insane thing to expect but.... What are the chances of the ROM update including Stereo Bluetooth capabilities? Is it even possible with the version of Bluetooth that is included in the phone?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    none. I suspect the 700p BT chipset does not support A2DP.
    No expectation of entitlement here (unless you are talking about Palm feeling entitled to provide less than lowest common denominator service at a premium price). Yeah, they are entitled to our money, year after year, because they know we are addicts and we just can't look the other way when they promise the next device will be everything we always dreamed of.

poof....
    [We interrunpt this bullsh1t with a dose of reality. Palm, the free ride is over. Compete with Apple who charges even more than you, but at least gives you something that works for your hard earned money!]

Entitlement, my Arse!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast