Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmoose View Post
    Let's start a poll and start guessing what day/week the MR will actually be released. I'll take June 13.
    Not a poll; how about a pool?
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    So bottom line I wont chance it to install it that Friday because I cant risk being hosed while Im on my honeymoon. I dont want to be pissed off if Im down due to an update.
    I certainly hope you're not down on your honeymoon!

And congrats!
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    You guys should do your best to Digg this article as much as you can as well. The more attention, the better.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I wonder if the MR will include a fix so the palm desktop works with Vista?
    I know I know, Ill probably have to wait another year for that
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Waiting sucks...but I guess as long as a patch comes along
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    And folks wonder why software companies don't give out release dates in advance...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by UniPalmer View Post
    I certainly hope you're not down on your honeymoon!
    I actually hope they both are...isn't that what a honeymoon is for???
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    ahhhhh, sweet innocence. or, maybe just ignorance is bliss.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I need more work-arounds on my microsoft computer than on my 700p which works pretty well. I'm using it now to read the constant complaints of the same people who will find fault with the upgrade. I was hoping to hear from the beta testers of this upgrade.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    ... the beta testers won't have the patch 'til the week of May 28th!?!

"We have seen the Beta Testers... and they be us!"
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    Total Bull Cr@p!! Palm released a patch for the 700wx SMS issues in less then a year... much less then a year. So Palm's line of we could do it for the 680 because it didn't touch the radio is ridiculous. Besides, they had 2 firmware updates for 650 before it was replaced by the 700p. I have trouble believing this is little more then a combination of old patches, and the 680/755 BT stack.

Palm has everyone working on the new OS and new phones, and probably has 1 intern trying to fix the 700p :-)

I can see palm's update bricking a bunch of phones, and then not doing anything about it because they are out of warranty.
    I believe the reason for the patch release date postponements is that the 700pís problems were not on their radar until Bob-Cís successful campaign (thanks Bob) forced them to acknowledge what most everyone else already knew. To ďplacateĒ the masses they came with the story that they were ALREADY aware of these flaws and working on them.

Now they realize fixing those issues is more difficult than anticipated and releasing the patch (now called a maintenance release) after the EOL date of the 700p may allow them to address any residual complaints by offering a paltry buy-out for the used 700p enticing the user into buying a 755 as a ďsolutionĒ, thus entering into another year-long-user-financed-company-neglected-palm-after-marketing-beta-testing program.

With the advent of the Linux/Palm OS as anounced, I feel the 755 will become another "orphan" device, just a "new" model to boost sales for future developments. Lets face it, as described the "new" (Palm) Treo 755 will share a very similar version of Garnet OS with the (HandSpring) Treo 600!! How many years with basically the same OS is that!!

I will always love Palm OS, but I am done with Palm, Inc. for ever. I only hope other non-Palm company develops quality hardware to run future versions of Palm/Linux, that is the only way I will contnue with the Palm platform.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    anyone given any thought to that the 700P ROM update is just the 755 ROM? . . (or a version thereof). . . . .
    Dream on
    Treoing & Loving it
    For me, the 755 will be just a refreshed version of the 700P, just like next year's car model -- no great new hydrogen engine -- just some tweaks. If they can do that -- why not do that rather than leave the 700P out there as the "current" model for another year. Palm is not forcing me to buy it -- it is for new buyers or people looking to replace their 600s & 650s -- if I want to, I will buy the 755, if not, the 700P is good for another year or two. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I believe the reason for the patch release date postponements is that the 700pís problems were not on their radar until Bob-Cís successful campaign (thanks Bob) forced them to acknowledge what most everyone else already knew. To ďplacateĒ the masses they came with the story that they were ALREADY aware of these flaws and working on them.
    There is ZERO chance that Palm was not aware of those issues, even before the 700p was released. I'm sure that there more problems the ones listed inside of it. At some point a company decides that a product is "good enough" to release, even with known bugs. I'm not saying this a good thing for us end users, but it is reality. A company like Palm is under tremendous pressure to get new products out to pad the revenue stream and are forced to compromise quality to do so.
    Going down!!!!!!

Like cypher says in the first Matrix "ignorance ISSSSSSSSS bliss"

Thanks for the congrats, UniPalmer and yes Christina we both will be doing our fair share.

ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    For me, the 755 will be just a refreshed version of the 700P, just like next year's car model -- no great new hydrogen engine -- just some tweaks. If they can do that -- why not do that rather than leave the 700P out there as the "current" model for another year. Palm is not forcing me to buy it -- it is for new buyers or people looking to replace their 600s & 650s -- if I want to, I will buy the 755, if not, the 700P is good for another year or two. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Agreed, but what bothers me is the thought that without the monumental campaign put forth by Bob-C and others at TC, Palm would not have moved at all to address any of the shortcomings of this current model.

As you, I donít have many problems with the device as is...the lag is there but tolerable, no P-Tuneís skip if I turn off Versamail autosync, I have experienced one or two resets with incoming calls, no SMS lock-up, the only big complaint for me is the Bluetooth pairing (or lack thereof) issues.

My major beef is the abysmal lack of customer support regarding these and other 700p issues; issues known to and acknowledged by Palm. I donít take issue against the device, for me is a good one for others not-so good, I take great issue against the company itself for ignoring the 700p for so long, only to EOL our devices before the first fix is even released! After that, who knows what if any support can we expect from them.

For my part I have deployed and maintained about 70 T700pís across my businesses, I was expecting A LOT more in terms of customer support from Palm, besides donít install 3rd party applications and reset at least daily and it will work great.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    There is ZERO chance that Palm was not aware of those issues, even before the 700p was released. I'm sure that there more problems the ones listed inside of it. At some point a company decides that a product is "good enough" to release, even with known bugs. I'm not saying this a good thing for us end users, but it is reality. A company like Palm is under tremendous pressure to get new products out to pad the revenue stream and are forced to compromise quality to do so.
    I am truly convinced they knew, they just chose to ignore those issues until this campaign "forced" them to come up with a "solution". If it were not for the efforts of Bob-C and others in the Palm-user community, I am convinced they would just have EOLíd the 700p without even trying to fix anything or publicly acknowledging any of its flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I'm sorry, do you have a problem with me?

It's no longer about "the phone I always wanted", or that nonsense. Don't you see it will have been a year and the device will be out of warranty before we get anything fixed. If the update fries your phone, you're screwed. Be that as it may, many of us have had to deal with these issues for one year.....ONE YEAR. The phone is being EOLed in May by Sprint. That means that for the ENTIRE life cycle of the phone, it has not worked or performed to it's advertised functionality. How can you NOT be unhappy about this?

Let's also forget for a moment that the date is "tentatively" May 28. Don't you think that's bound to be pushed back at least a week or two like usual? I mean sure, if it comes out before the iPhone, I will apply it, and I will try it out. When it comes down to it though, I spent a heck of a lot of money on this device and I didn't get anywhere near what I paid for it. I got no support from Palm, and the way they've handled this whole situation has been nothing short of abysmal. They have already lost customers just because of the "show of support" over the 700p.

I for one, recommended treos to at least 3 of my friends, my gf, and my family. I have all but stopped doing that, and I will be picking another device to recommend. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've seen first hand that Apple will stand behind their products, be it iPod, Macbook Pro, or iPhone. My support experiences with them have been nothing short of stellar, and it is for that reason that I don't regret spending money on them and for that reason that I'll pick up an iPhone, despite the several shortcomings it will initially have.

For me, anyway, this isn't about the device anymore. It's about the company and their ability to solve problems in a timely manner, to not screw their loyal power-users, and provide the support that you pay for when you buy one of the most expensive phones on the market.

On a side note, it would have also been nice if he would have given us an idea of what their official buglist is, whether they're putting any new versions of any programs in the new ROM, and once and for all get an official work on what has been fixed. Instead, we got the BS (excuse me for saying that, but I feel that everything leading up the date is just padding) that most of us could have already figured out anyway based on past experience with Treos. We all know what a Maintenance Release is, the 650 had something like 4 of them. Why don't people ask what Palm has official fixed in this maintenance release?
    After paying 400-650 dollars for a phone that does not work as promise, doesn't one have to right to whine a little?
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    I wonder if the MR will include a fix so the palm desktop works with Vista?
    I know I know, Ill probably have to wait another year for that

Microsoft is no better than Palm if not worse. Next Jan, Microsoft will no longer allow xp to used in OEM systems. So they are forcing us to go to Vista!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Microsoft is no better than Palm if not worse. Next Jan, Microsoft will no longer allow xp to used in OEM systems. So they are forcing us to go to Vista!
    How is that different from Palm; next year (if they keep the date this time) they will roll out the Palm/Linux OS which I seriously doubt we will be afforded any option of upgrading to other than buying the latest and greatest "new" phone at full price of course.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast