1.    #1  
    FYI, got this from Good regarding 5.0 supported devices.

Dear Motorola Good Technology Group Customer:

If you have users running Good software on Palm Treo 650, Treo 600, Treo 700w, or on Cingular 2125 & derivative devices (see below for common branded names), please be advised of Good's software update and technical support phase-out timeline described below.

With the upcoming release of Good 5.0 in mid-2007 which adds significant new functionality, these 32MB handhelds do not have adequate memory to run Good 5.0 efficiently. As a result, Good version 4.9.3 is the last client software version that will support these handhelds.

This means that if you have Good Mobile Messaging or Good Mobile Intranet users on Palm Treo 650, Treo 600, Treo 700w, or Cingular 2125 handhelds, those users' handhelds will need to stay on release 4.9.3 of Good Mobile Messaging and Intranet until they switch to a newer handheld. Users who own devices with more memory will be able upgrade to Good Mobile Messaging 5.0 on their handhelds. You will be able to upgrade your Good server to version 5.0 and continue running Good client version 4.9.3 on your 32MB handhelds.

Good will continue to offer technical support for Good Mobile Messaging and Intranet to its support customers for version 4.9.3 on these 32MB handhelds according to the following timeline:

Treo 650 --Technical Support available through August 31, 2008
    Treo 700w from Verizon -- Technical Support available through August 31, 2008. Note: Treo 700wx on Verizon is not affected by this announcement.
    Treo 600 -- Technical Support available through March 31, 2008 (Note 1)
    Cingular 2125 and derivative devices -- Technical Support available through March 31, 2008 (Note 1). The Cingular 2125 belongs to the HTC Tornado family of devices, and is also sold under the following names:
    O2 IQ
    Orange SPV C600
    i-Mate SP5
    HTC Tornado
    Qtek 8310/8300
    T-Mobile SDA
    Vodafone VDA II
    Dopod 577
    To help mitigate any transition issues, please start looking at new Palm OS and Windows Mobile handhelds supported by Good. The complete list of Good supported devices by carrier can be found under the "Supported Devices" tab on the left border of the Good Monitoring Portal at www.good.com/gmp. If you are interested in upgrading your handhelds now, please see the current handheld promotions that are available through our carrier resellers at www.good.com/promotions.

If you would like to purchase Good Technical Support or have other sales related questions, please contact sales@good.com or call 866-7-BE-GOOD.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Good sales representative. Again, we thank you for your business and loyalty as a Good Technology customer.

Best regards,
    Rick Osterloh
    Head of Marketing and Product Management
    Motorola Good Technology Group

Note 1: This is a modification to what we communicated in December 2006 when we indicated that Technical support would be available for the Treo 600 and Cingular 2125 / HTC Tornado for one year after the release of Good 5.0. We are specifying our end of Technical Support for the Treo 600 and Cingular 2125 / HTC Tornado as March 31, 2008 due to a delay in the release of Good 5.0 which was originally scheduled for availability in the March/April 2007 timeframe.

Good Technology, Inc. 2001-2007. All Rights Reserved. Good, Good Technology and the Good logo are trademarks of Good Technology, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Good Technology
    4250 Burton Drive
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    man thats a joke.
    Same old story here. Good promises us something and fails to deliver. Their "option" is never in favor of the customer.
    Last edited by conekkted; 04/18/2007 at 05:21 PM.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    I love how the upgrade is manditory, but the benefits are unknown. Does anyone know what new features are going to be avaliable that are requiring the increased memory on our devices?
    More bug fixes (and new bugs of course) and a new GUI would be my guess.
    Communications Administrator
    Phones: Palm 650,700P,700wx,755p, Samsung IP830w, Moto Q
    Goodlink Admin 55 users.
    Couple of points:

1) There is nothing mandatory about the upgrade.
    2) As of right now, features in 5.0 will include attachment support, ability to use Good and native contacts, integration of features within Good Mobile Defense into GMM, S/MIME and others.
    3) The reason for no support on the listed devices is due to the fact that they only have 32MB of memory or less. 4.9.X will still be supported on these devices through the dates listed on the notification.
    If GMM can deliver attachments and native contacts around mid-year without causing significant breaks in other areas, I will be the first to sing its praises. But you will have to pardon me for being very skeptical on all those things actually coming together. Will 5.0 still hijack the button mapping?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Conekkted, wouldn't expect anything less than your skepticsm

Thanks to the users here, there will be a maintenance release fixing the button mapping issue prior 5.0 release. I will check on Monday regarding the time frame.

Conekkted, please PM me as I would like to discuss possibly getting your company on the beta for 5.0. I am doing this publicly because I don't want it to appear to you or others that I am trying to 'buy you off'. You have raised several issues you have had that I think 5.0 will address, however, I do need to see if you qualify for the beta based on your current user base and configuration. Can't promise I can get you on the beta if you are interested, but will try. I will say that there will be a non-disclosure agreement required, (which is standard), but, again, not trying to buy your silence. Just seeing if you were interested.
    Good Guy--

Appreicate your bravery in coming in here and taking the heat.

I have three questions about 5.0:

1. Do you have an estimated release date?
    2. Any chance it will include a spell checker? Seems like it would be easy to add now that these devices have so much RAM and WM5 already comes with an autocomplete as does GMM.
    3. Will the contacts be able to transfer to my car kit. Right now only the contacts in my speed dial locations on the today screen make it over so when calls show on my dashboard display I don't get the name to show up.

Thanks in advance--much appreciated!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    1. Best estimate I acan give right now is mid Q3, so beging looking for it around August/September time frame. Alot of that depends on how the beta goes. This is a major release for us, so the testing will be extremely important.

2. Do not think this version will include spell checker.

3. It is my understanding that anything that access the local contact stores will be able to address them with 5.0. I have not seen the version yet.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I recieved the email about 5 minutes ago. Thought it is some good information for existing and future Good customers.

//edit: I saw another post with this same information. Mod, please delete at as necessary.
    ----------------------

Dear Motorola Good Technology Group Customer:

If you have users running Good software on Palm Treo 650, Treo 600, Treo 700w, or on Cingular 2125 & derivative devices (see below for common branded names), please be advised of Good's software update and technical support phase-out timeline described below.

With the upcoming release of Good 5.0 in mid-2007 which adds significant new functionality, these 32MB handhelds do not have adequate memory to run Good 5.0 efficiently. As a result, Good version 4.9.3 is the last client software version that will support these handhelds.

This means that if you have Good Mobile Messaging or Good Mobile Intranet users on Palm Treo 650, Treo 600, Treo 700w, or Cingular 2125 handhelds, those users' handhelds will need to stay on release 4.9.3 of Good Mobile Messaging and Intranet until they switch to a newer handheld. Users who own devices with more memory will be able upgrade to Good Mobile Messaging 5.0 on their handhelds. You will be able to upgrade your Good server to version 5.0 and continue running Good client version 4.9.3 on your 32MB handhelds.

Good will continue to offer technical support for Good Mobile Messaging and Intranet to its support customers for version 4.9.3 on these 32MB handhelds according to the following timeline:

Treo 650 --Technical Support available through August 31, 2008
    Treo 700w from Verizon -- Technical Support available through August 31, 2008. Note: Treo 700wx on Verizon is not affected by this announcement.
    Treo 600 -- Technical Support available through March 31, 2008 (Note 1)
    Cingular 2125 and derivative devices -- Technical Support available through March 31, 2008 (Note 1). The Cingular 2125 belongs to the HTC Tornado family of devices, and is also sold under the following names:

O2 IQ
    Orange SPV C600
    i-Mate SP5
    HTC Tornado
    Qtek 8310/8300
    T-Mobile SDA
    Vodafone VDA II
    Dopod 577

To help mitigate any transition issues, please start looking at new Palm OS and Windows Mobile handhelds supported by Good. The complete list of Good supported devices by carrier can be found under the "Supported Devices" tab on the left border of the Good Monitoring Portal at www.good.com/gmp. If you are interested in upgrading your handhelds now, please see the current handheld promotions that are available through our carrier resellers at www.good.com/promotions.

If you would like to purchase Good Technical Support or have other sales related questions, please contact sales@good.com or call 866-7-BE-GOOD.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Good sales representative. Again, we thank you for your business and loyalty as a Good Technology customer.

Best regards,
    Rick Osterloh
    Head of Marketing and Product Management
    Motorola Good Technology Group
    Last edited by mstorman; 04/23/2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Another post exists.
    Since the problem seems mostly memory-dependent it begs the question...
    The current 4.9.x installation of GMM takes approx 7MB of RAM to run (sometimes not allowing other large apps to run at the same time). This is 4 to 10 times the memory of almost every other 3rd party app on the market.

Does the Good bulletin above infer that GMM 5.0 will take even more memory to run than the current 4.9 installation?

Also, the bulletin states it will be available mid-2007. GoodGuy, you say Q3. Is that an update since the issuance of the bulletin?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Mid 2007, Q3..guess we didn't know how to say "3/4 2007". Probably didn't say Q3 2007 since several companies do not run on a calendar year.

As for the memory requirements, until I see the app, I am going to hold off on commenting.
    While it is good to drop old devices (i.e. Windows Mobile 2003 (uggh) vs. supporting an ever expanding range of devices, the logic for EOLing some of the listed devices is faulty. The issue isn't so much the physical 32MB but the dynamic heap memory.

I have a few users running on Treo 650s that have less than 2MB RAM free yet are perhaps the most stable devices thanks to their knowledge of memory and memory management. They use UDMH and PowerRUN to keep apps like Good, TomTom and resource hog apps controlled. Of course most apps are installed to SD but they still require overhead memory in which to run and like Win98, these phones doesnt do a very good job releasing memory from inactive apps. Soft resets (unscheduled or user initiated) are measured in single digits per month.

How stable are the listed devices for other companies?
    What devices are most moving towards?
    Are most companies EOLing devices before Good and if so what OSes\Models?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Conekkted, please PM me as I would like to discuss possibly getting your company on the beta for 5.0. I am doing this publicly because I don't want it to appear to you or others that I am trying to 'buy you off'.
    First of all, no one on this board that has been here for even a little while would ever accuse you of buying anybody off. I appreciate that you posted it publicly. But I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say your integrity is fully intact. I have no issues with you GoodGuy. I know that you are doing the best you can to support a product, that in my opinion, is very hard to support and defend. It wouldn't do your company or mine any good to disclose here what company the 3 IT guys that post under connekted work for. But my guess is that we will be on the beta team by default. So thanks for the offer.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Actually, you won't be on the beta by default. Your company has to be recommended and even then, there are certain requirements and usage thresholds. I am not asking you to post publicly your company, as your reasoning for that is clear, but rather via PM.
    Understood and thanks for the offer. I am only saying that because of our relationship with Good we aren't worried about being "chosen" for the beta.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Again, we have a misunderstanding. You won't be "chosen". You company has to be submitted for consideration. Your releationship with Good has nothing to do with it. No worries.