Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    [ EDIT BY SEPTIMUS : Moved this back to the 700p Hardware Forum, as this is about the 700p patch announcement, not a more general announcement. ]

Will tomorrow's big announcement be:

A. An early morning start-the-day-off-on-a-good-note kind of announcement?

or

B. A late-in-the-afternoon-after-everyone-has-pretty-much-given-up-on-it kind of announcement?

We shall see...

SMEGGIE
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 04/17/2007 at 03:33 PM.
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    It will be an early morning announcement of a postponement of the announcement till sometime next week.
    Intel is set to announce 4 new UMPC running Linux tomorrow. According to engadget. And most of them have a small 5" screen.

I have a feeling the Hawking device is going to use the same CPU.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    My prediction is Palm is say, the update will include previous patches already released, updated BT (from the 680), and improved SMS. The update won't be ready till a few weeks before the 755p will be out.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I really hope that people don't go over board on their guesses here, and I wouldn't get too excited.

I believe that only news about the update will be posted. I am expecting to hear what the update intends to fix and a target release timeframe. That is wishful, I think.
    Well I hope its good
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    FACT: the update for the 700p should have been out by now.

I don't think any of us will be happy regardless of the news, unless they release a linux update or something tomorrow. We don't want to be told we'll have to wait ANOTHER couple of months for a fix. Even if they post the update, it's too little too late. Most of us have already deterred others from getting a 700p on account of the lack of support and the outstanding issues.

Palm has to face it, the damage has been done, and it'll take something BIG to try and regain the same loyalty they had with their treo users.
    I know you won't be happy Merlyn.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    WOW part two...

We are amazed at the input we have had on the 700p. Is this a Palm product? We have never heard of it...

Palm would like to introduce a new product that has the same OS and the same hardware! This new Smartphone is the SAME as the 700p minus the antenna and .001 slimer!

Big f*cking deal Palm! Stop screwing your faithful users Crackers!
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    The true irony will be that blog.palm.com will probably be taken offline tomorrow. Taking bets....
    Actually at this point I'm guessing they'll announce 15% off of the 755p for all 700p owners.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    Actually at this point I'm guessing they'll announce 15% off of the 755p for all 700p owners.
    Not hardly enough, and there is no update as of this moment on the Palm site.

I would hasten to point out we are less than 4 weeks away from the release of the 755p and EOL of the 700p.

The bottom line, as I have said elsewhere, apart from having EVDO, the 700p is a critical failure and in no way any sort of improvement over its predecessor. In some ways it was actually a step backwards.
    curious why you think the announcement will happen today? the blog entry says, "next week," which could seem to mean anytime up until 11:59 pm on Saturday 4/21?
    I'd sure like to think that they would offer more than jsut 15% off. An update woul;d be great...or for those of us with 700Ps still in warranty...GIVE US A NEW 755P!
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodgins View Post
    curious why you think the announcement will happen today? the blog entry says, "next week," which could seem to mean anytime up until 11:59 pm on Saturday 4/21?
    From: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...05&postcount=1

Beginning of 4-12-07 Update
    News to be Announced on Tuesday, April 17th on Palm Blog
    I received an email from Steve Sinclair today. It states that the Palm Blog (will be the mechanism used for communication with the user community going forward. Thus my role as Treo Community intermediary will become obsolete. One of the things Steve had mentioned when we talked months back was that this campaign had sparked a lot of brainstorming at Palm to improve communication with the user community. I think this Palm Blog was a pretty good result of our efforts. I am proud we helped bring it about. Rest assured though that I will still continue this thread until the firmware update is our hands.

What I get out of Steve's email is that there was probably an internal miscommunication at Palm concerning the announcement. I think he thought he was going to announce it when the Blog kicked off (thus later in the week) but the Blog powers that be had scheduled it for Tuesday. At least that is my read on it since Steve has been pretty upfront about everything. But you can read for yourself:

"Hi Bob,
    As you probably read, we launched our new Palm blog this week. That's the forum where I'm going to provide the revised date for the 700p update. Going forward that blog is going to be the mechanism we use to talk about support issues since it ensures more reliable coverage by the community sites and allows customers to comment directly. As it turns out, I won't be posting my blog this week - it's slated for next Tuesday instead and just wanted to let you know.

Steve"

End of 4-12-07 Update
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Intel is set to announce 4 new UMPC running Linux tomorrow. According to engadget. And most of them have a small 5" screen.

I have a feeling the Hawking device is going to use the same CPU.
    Is Jeff Hawkins a day too late to release his UMPC Mystery Device? If his device does not shine, it will be just another entry in the field of UMPC devices. I hope he going to woo us!
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    My prediction is Palm is say, the update will include previous patches already released, updated BT (from the 680), and improved SMS. The update won't be ready till a few weeks before the 755p will be out.
    I would not be surprised if the update did not come out until after the release of the Treo 755p!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    The true irony will be that blog.palm.com will probably be taken offline tomorrow. Taking bets....

That is possible my friend Meryln, But they have been posting our negative comments. That would do extreme damage and Palm users would start looking for another choice. Why doesn't HTC and Access come up with their own "Treo" Anyone can have the design and Access can use the Palm OS but another name!!

Meryln have you been posting on the Palm blog? Are they putting all of our posts online?
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post

I want 25% off for all of our chest pain!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I bet they are giving us WM6 to use on our 700p's. That way the treo will work like it was designed.........................................
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast