Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Only one year to issue the update. Wow. I bet it took less time to engineer the entire ROM on the 680 and 750 which were each released after the 700p.
    I don't think you are paying attention. He was supposed to provide information today - not the actual update. Actually he was supposed to provide that info last week but the blog powers scheduled it for today instead.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    "We're now in the carrier certification phase with the Treo 700p MR and as I type this, our best estimate of customer release will be the week of May 28th. In addition to the Bluetooth improvements I mentioned above, the 700p MR includes updates to SMS send/receive performance, MP3 playback, phone app launch speed and other areas. It's admittedly been a much longer project than expected, but we're almost there.."

Ahhh, the "carrier identification phase" followed by the "FCC approval phase" followed by the "(fill in the blank) phase"
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I completely understand the issues involved with difficulties in getting thorugh carriers on MR updates.

However, I don't understand how an inferior device was ever allowed to market in the first place.

I feel like my son did when he lost 15 bucks to a carnie at the last state fair and all he got was a 50 cent trinket.

I paid a lot of money for a phone/pda combination and I find myself relying on it less and less.

I will be grateful for the update when it arrives...BUT...When the time comes for upgrade, I will for the first time in years (like a lot of folks it seems like) be looking at other options besides palm.

...and THAT is what palm should be worrying about.
    A year later 700p owners get news that their might be a fix coming soon, if the carriers approve(whenever that is). By then 700p owners will have jumped ship, unless they pay full price for the newer Treo model(755p) and take another chance. I don't think this is going to go well with 700p owners....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Well at least there will be an update, and the explanations for the delay were reasonable. However this leaves me wondering how (when the certifications for this update will take over a month) the 700p ever made it to the market with the issues it has, and if the 700p did indeed "pass" these certifications the first time around it makes me wonder what we will be getting this time around.
    Well, the good news out of this is that (assuming it actually shows up), the "patch" is going to be a full maintenance release, rather than just some patch(es) into RAM.

Hopefully that will facilitate user customization, if anybody who knows how to get that going is still interested in the 700p.

Myself, fortunately I've had very few of the problems many are reporting (jinx!), but have had two spontaneous resets in the past two days while using the SlingPlayer beta (it's worth the resets!!!).

Tomorrow, tomorrow . . . it's always a day away . . .
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari View Post
    <snip> However this leaves me wondering how (when the certifications for this update will take over a month) the 700p ever made it to the market with the issues it has, and if the 700p did indeed "pass" these certifications the first time around it makes me wonder what we will be getting this time around.
    Yes, good point! Apparently the carrier certification process is time-consuming, rather than effective.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Anybody else notice that the 650 had at least two MR before it EOL'ed? Or is it just me?
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Yes, good point! Apparently the carrier certification process is time-consuming, rather than effective.
    Don't laugh... its true. Back in the day I worked for a company that produced CDMA handsets... mainly for Sprint at the time. I've never been involved in the "carrier certification process" so this may not be 100% true but....

Generally the carrier's MAIN concern is that the phone doesn't whack their network or anyone else's phone, and that it can make/complete calls well. They obviously do not have the man power to go in and test every little feature of a phone... especially these "smart" phones. Most likely if a "smart" tech noticed anything he just made a comment to his buddy: "Hey Joe, these 700p's seems a bit sluggish compared to the old 650's we tested last year... oh well".

So that is most likely why once Palm started playing with the BT radio and other key features the carrier's got concerned about interference, etc. Also I'd imagine that MR's are not cheap... so no carrier is going to want to do 3 or 4 of them over a short time frame.

So if the treo met all of its PHONE related performance targets, didn't kill anyone or anything in the process, and generally appeared to work, yes I think the carriers would gladly ship it.

JM
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    Anybody else notice that the 650 had at least two MR before it EOL'ed? Or is it just me?
    I did...I've been making that point for awhile. It took a long time for the 650 to become stable and now everyone talks about going back to their's
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I did...I've been making that point for awhile
    That must be where I got it from. Any new thought I have is usually embedded in my brain by some one else, but I like to make sure the original party gets credit for it.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    I feel like I am back in the PPR again. . . .. that week of May 28th release phrase sure has a familiar ring to it . . . . . . anyone given any thought to that the 700P ROM update is just the 755 ROM? . . (or a version thereof). . . . . . . . . . . maybe that is why we have to wait until 2 weeks after the 755's supposed release. . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/17/2007 at 08:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I feel like I am back in the PPR again. . . .. that week of May 28th phrase sure has a familiar ring to it . . . . . . anyone given any thought to that the 700P ROM update is just the 755 ROM? . . . . .maybe that is why we have to wait until 2 weeks after the 755's supposed release. . . . .
    I think you just hit the nail on the proverbial head.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I feel like I am back in the PPR again. . . .. that week of May 28th phrase sure has a familiar ring to it . . . . . . anyone given any thought to that the 700P ROM update is just the 755 ROM? . . . . .maybe that is why we have to wait until 2 weeks after the 755's supposed release. . . . .

So Perry, that makes complete sense. But why would they release a ROM so close to a major release of a new product with the same ROM. Aren't they worried that shadowmite will get a hold of it?
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    So Perry, that makes complete sense. But why would they release a ROM so close to a major release of a new product with the same ROM. Aren't they worried that shadowmite will get a hold of it?

How much can you tweak FrankenGarnet? Maybe the "updater" necessary to make custom ROMs with the 700P ROM update will only work on 700Ps, so the ability to make custom ROMs on the 755 will still be forestalled. . . . .
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    How much can you tweak FrankenGarnet? Maybe the "updater" necessary to make custom ROMs with the 700P ROM update will only work on 700Ps, so the ability to make custom ROMs on the 755 will still be forestalled. . . . .
    I see your point and if this does fix most or all of our woes, would we want to go messing with FrankenGarnet just to end up back here b&t<hing about how we just bricked the thing?
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567