Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    OK, I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question. Last night while upgrading my wife's phone I had the Verizon rep turn on text message, picture messaging.... etc. For some reason these features where shut off on our accounts.

Anyway today, feeling daring, I sent my first picture message to my wife (there goes the first $1 for playing around). While it was transmitting I notice the strength ICON changed and had 2 green arrows appear. After it was done they went gray.

Looking in the manual I see the green arrows mean that I'm "on a broadband network, transmitting data". OK. The gray arrows mean I'm "on a broadband network, not transmitting data". Hum... I'm on the pay as you go data plan so I was concerned by this. Last thing I need is the phone hanging off the network pinging the service a billion times a day... not at 15 cents/kilobyte (or whatever it is). So I shut the phone off, then turned it back on. The arrows went away.

So am I being paranoid? Every time I send/receive a message do I need to shut off the phone to get off the network, or will "not transmitting data" really not do anything bad?

OK, have you laugh now.......

Thanks
    JM
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Gee... where is the fun making fun of someone expecting it... anyway when you sent the msg it had to connect. Then it stays connected unless you disconnect it. Leaving it connected should be fine. There might be some applications though that go out and check for updates and stuff. There is a checkbox somewhere that wont allow it to connect to the interenet without you approving.

Regardless I really do recommend unlimited data... the phone has so much to offer. Srtreaming radio, blazer, kinoma, Slingbox, AIM, email, yada yada yada... also you dont need to WORRY about how much you used. Hell cancel your home internet and use your phone to hook up your computer on the internet. #3282 or #DATA will send you a free SMS to tell you how much internet traffic you have used.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    jimmarako,

FWIW, I have a very similar setup. You will pay data as long as the green arrows appear. With the pay as you go plan, that's $15.00 a meg (approx). If you send 12 pictures at about 100 kb each, that's $12.00 a month. You will also pay $0.25 per picture unless you are in the in network plan. IE: bundled pack. I have finally blocked data on my Treo, and have asked the wife to disconnect and reconnect to take calls from the network if she sends a picture. I also have a box checked in pref>network connections to prompt before connecting. That seems to work with us. Good luck,

Cigar
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    You can disconnect from the network without shutting the phone off.
    Prefs > Network > Disconnect
    It will reconnect automatically when it needs to.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Widdy View Post
    You can disconnect from the network without shutting the phone off.
    Prefs > Network > Disconnect
    It will reconnect automatically when it needs to.
    Widdy, try telling that to the wife. it's easier to have her turn off an on. But I digress.........
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    How the heck do you have a treo with no data plan?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Yes, I know many people find it strange but at $600 a year its not hard to "just say no"

I got the treo to be a palm, an mp3 player,etc. The camera and other features are nice and came along for the ride. I'm not in sales/real estate and/or don't travel a lot so I can't (yet) justify the cost for always on access. In a way I'm upset that the Vcast services are not available on the high end phones. I might pay the $15 bucks to get some tv channels, news, etc.

I wish Verizon offer some reasonable plans/rates. I know they have the $15 plan, but from what I heard its real easy to go over your data limit even if you just do email.

One day maybe Verizon will lower their rates and I'll raise my tolerance level.

JM
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Similar to jm's answer + my work pays for a data card on a laptop. I can't justify the expense of $1078.80 + taxes per year when I have access by other means.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    FWIW, I have a very similar setup. You will pay data as long as the green arrows appear. With the pay as you go plan, that's $15.00 a meg (approx). If you send 12 pictures at about 100 kb each, that's $12.00 a month. You will also pay $0.25 per picture unless you are in
    Is this true???? 25 cents PLUS data/minute usage? While I don't doubt that Verizon would double, triple, ... charge you it makes no sense. Why am I paying 25 cents for the privilege of sending a picture message if I'm already paying for air time???

How do non-smart phones work? My wife just got the Samsung u540 which supports a bunch of stuff she'll never use (who wants internet on a 1.5" screen???). She'll have to pay 25 cents plus airtime as well for each picture message?

So my gag of sending her a picture of the dogs just cost me $5? And the carriers wonder why few people sign up for all these optional features. I know I'm cheap but do this once a day and you would be broke fairly quickly.

Crazy
    JM
    Holy crap.. Verizon really screws you over if they want you to pay $50 a month... They have to have some cheaper data plan.

Even at sprint if you dont get a discount on your data the unlimited pack is like $15 or $20 a month. I thought verizon was inline with sprint at $20 a month..

I pay $10 a month for unlimited.. And for another $30 more I could upgrade to a phone as a modem plan with unlimited data...
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
    Is this true???? 25 cents PLUS data/minute usage? While I don't doubt that Verizon would double, triple, ... charge you it makes no sense. Why am I paying 25 cents for the privilege of sending a picture message if I'm already paying for air time???

How do non-smart phones work? My wife just got the Samsung u540 which supports a bunch of stuff she'll never use (who wants internet on a 1.5" screen???). She'll have to pay 25 cents plus airtime as well for each picture message?

So my gag of sending her a picture of the dogs just cost me $5? And the carriers wonder why few people sign up for all these optional features. I know I'm cheap but do this once a day and you would be broke fairly quickly.

Crazy
    JM
    JM,
    The first thing I would do is verify what type of data your wife's phone needs. I have no idea what the samsung requires. heck, most phones don't use data at all to send pics/vids/text, just us smartphone users get stuck with that. I have the bundle packages. if you share a plan, then I think you can get the 5 dollar plan (each phone) for unlimited in network text and 250 out of network messages. That way, you and the wifey can text away. I have this plan on both phones we use and no longer pay for per picture message, just the data to send the pics. So in reality, the pic you sent is $0.25+ .015/kb, depending on your file size for the picture, 75kb minimum, = $1.37 a pic.
    Mine cost a $1.12 + the pic/message plan of $5.00, but i get a text alert when certain email's from work come through and would spend more than $5.00 a month just on those.

So, I would dig in, make sure you don't go over the 15 day return policy and make sure you got what you wanted. if not, let your money speak for you. I can't, I have too many in network contacts that rely on my being on Verizon.
    Good luck
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Yes it is true that you will pay the .25 cents for the message plus the data charge. However you will only pay the data charges if you either don' t have a text messaging plan or you are on the old text messaging promotions. If you are on the new unlimited text/pix/flix plans that they just released on 04/16/2007 you will no longer pay the data or "transportation" charges.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    Yes it is true that you will pay the .25 cents for the message plus the data charge. However you will only pay the data charges if you either don' t have a text messaging plan or you are on the old text messaging promotions. If you are on the new unlimited text/pix/flix plans that they just released on 04/16/2007 you will no longer pay the data or "transportation" charges.

shepherd, so I just looked into the new unlimited plan, tell me how the data charge is waived? How do they deliniate the pix/txt message data from regular data? Thanks,
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    According to VZW they are no longer charging transport fees for PDA phones, it will only charge you according to the messaging plan that you have if you have one. Again this is only on the new unlimited plans if you have an old plan that was capped to out of network users or just a limit of 250, 500 etc the transport charges will still apply.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    so I have asked vzw to change my plan at the end billing cycle to the new unlimited plan. How do we verify this "transporting fee" is not being billed?

The reason I am asking is that I have been told time and time again that VZW can not determine the difference between data used by the PDA's to connect to the internet and data for pix/txt messaging. Have you been able to confirm that this is has been changed? Are they now able to determine the difference? Thanks for your insight.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    I have had reps that I know and trust verify for me that they are no longer going to charge data for sending pix/flix. I have dropped the plan myself. I will be the first on the phone if I get a large bill.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I see, so the data used for sending pix and flix will not even be billed. I can't believe they are finally doing this. I will keep you posted once my plan changes over next month. thanks for the heads up.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    My understanding is that it will use a minute of airtime just like the standard phones use. I will let you know if I find out anymore details.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    so how does it use a minute of airtime? I am really just trying to figure this out and have had the run around from vzw.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Normal (non-pda) phones will be charged 1 minute of airtime for the pix/flix to be transported to the recipients. PDA phones used to be charged kb usage. They have taken away the difference in the way they are charged and made it universal for all phones. It took the reps forever to understand that PDA phones were charged differently than standard phones. And it will take forever for them to know that there are no longer data charges for PDA phones. I have actually seen the Infomanager alert that was sent to all the VZW reps to inform them of the change.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast